HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:08 AM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,265 Posts
How is the S/B class doing with hull availability? I was looking pretty hard about 6 months ago and there didn't seem to be much available.
rcsoar4fun is online now Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2011, 01:27 PM
Eaton,NY
Joined Mar 2010
28 Posts
New S/B finished

Hi all. I just completed a hull from Ron Thornhill with a planked deck and home mde sails. Have not had a chance to launch yet but thought I would send some pix. Beat racing videos but am 190 miles from Buffalo.
Big Cubs is offline Find More Posts by Big Cubs
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:06 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,263 Posts
Looks great Big C.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:15 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
640 Posts
Starts?

Ken,
Just curious but does your club allow dip starts? All the racing I've done (EC12, M) requires the skipper to have the boat outside of the triangle (port - starboard pin and weather mark) at one minute to start. You can sail anywhere outside of this zone.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:38 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2011
77 Posts
The I flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Denest View Post
Ken,
Just curious but does your club allow dip starts? All the racing I've done (EC12, M) requires the skipper to have the boat outside of the triangle (port - starboard pin and weather mark) at one minute to start. You can sail anywhere outside of this zone.
Mike - That would be the I-flag.... Can't be on the course side during the last one minute, or must round one of the ends. No, at San Diego Argonauts we do not usually have the I flag in effect. But another club racing S/B's up the coast from us does. regards, Ken.
kencamp is offline Find More Posts by kencamp
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:25 AM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
207 Posts
I race with the Chicago club, we use the 1 min, clock and don't allow dip starts, we race S/B's every 2 weeks, we try to get in 12 races on each Sunday, I have been working with a guy on the east cost that is doing a new mold for S/B,s, I thought it would have been done by now, don't know what is going on, if I hear some thing I'll post it here.
John R.
tbarjohn is offline Find More Posts by tbarjohn
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:51 AM
Joined May 2011
77 Posts
Santa Barbara Sail Points 9/11/2011

Here is the Santa Barbara One Design video of the San Diego Argonauts monthly Sail Points racing at the pond in Mission Bay.
enjoy,
Ken

Santa Barbara Sail Points 9/11/2011 (9 min 26 sec)
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:35 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Apr 2007
49 Posts
Excellent job Ken--look forward to seeing your posts--great lessons--thanks Bill.
5353billboat is offline Find More Posts by 5353billboat
Old Sep 18, 2011, 07:57 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kencamp View Post
Here is the Santa Barbara One Design video of the San Diego Argonauts monthly Sail Points racing at the pond in Mission Bay.
enjoy,
Ken

Awesome.. !
jims123 is online now Find More Posts by jims123
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:35 AM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
878 Posts
Ken
please keep the S/B vids coming ! love seeing your boats sail there.

P.S.
do you guys have a idea of WHEN race week 2012 will be ?
even just a month you are considering ,if not a specific week ?
or when it will be decided ?

Allan
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Sep 19, 2011, 06:06 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsail View Post
Ken
please keep the S/B vids coming ! love seeing your boats sail there.

P.S.
do you guys have a idea of WHEN race week 2012 will be ?
even just a month you are considering ,if not a specific week ?
or when it will be decided ?

Allan

Allan, i just took a look in the Argonauts Sept Newsletter,
and here's what Mark Hallberg our Commodore posted recently:

"Evidently, Buffalo, New York has abandoned ship in sponsoring the Santa Barbara
National Championship Regatta. Fortunately Mark Baldacchino, as class secretary, will
not allow 2011 to go without this race. The Argonauts will host the regatta on November
19th and 20th. Mark is organizing this in the brief time of two months. Thank you to Ron
Cunningham who is going to be the RD, and John Tyler who volunteered to be the
official scorer. Anyone else who can offer their time and experience your help is
needed. Please contact Mark B at 858-901-4950 or email: mabldacchino@san.rr.com.
Also, if you sail a Santa Barbara, or can get your hands on one to sail, please enter!
Let's show our support for this renowned class."

Hope it helps..
JimS
jims123 is online now Find More Posts by jims123
Last edited by jims123; Sep 19, 2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 05:23 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
870 Posts
Santa Barbara

Jim,
Wish I could make it, but my boat is still in pieces and will not be ready to sail till next year. I hope that the San Francisco Model Yacht club will get to host a nationals on our pond in the near future. Our Commodore Bob is very interesting in having the club host a NAC for the class. I would be willing to help out organinizing the regatta and hopefully get to sail. Good luck with NAC this year and hope the SD fleet gets lots of boats to attend. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:42 AM
Joined May 2011
77 Posts
SD Argonauts Sail Points 10/9/2011

Here is the latest Santa Barbara Sail Points races for the San Diego Argonauts. There are 3 races presented here that took place on 10/9/2011 at the Mission Bay pond.

SB Sail Pts 9 Oct 11 a (11 min 49 sec)
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:29 PM
Joined Aug 2010
32 Posts
Love the pics and vids!!

Great learning tool for us not so experienced sailors. Thanks for the lessons and love looking at all the other Santa Barbaras. I purchased one, sail#1608 from a fella in Calif. and was shipped to me in South Carolina but unfortunately there are no clubs for the Santa Barbara here. I do race in clubs with the EC12 and Seawind. Also sail the 1.7 Meter and Canterbury J.
Thanks, Bob
Bobinsc is offline Find More Posts by Bobinsc
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:06 PM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
207 Posts
Bobinsc, good looking S/B, I have a question on the sail #, is this a Ludwig hull, it looks like a Hartman deck, Hartman # where 1300 to 1500 and Ludwig # started with 1600, I just got my new S/B hull from Blue Crab today, it really looks good, will post pictures when I can
John R.
tbarjohn is offline Find More Posts by tbarjohn
Last edited by tbarjohn; Oct 29, 2011 at 12:45 AM.