HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:23 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
I have to figure out a way to compensate for the fact that the travel on the jib sheet is less than the travel on the main sheet. I also hope to paint the boat soon with a first coat of LPU finish coat soon as well.
Ryan:

If the difference is large, then do what is mentioned above. If the difference is small, then you can adjust by changing the location of the point where the line attaches to the boom. The further out along the boom from the pivot point, the more line is required. By adjusting the locations on both the main and jib boom you can get exactly what you want.

Lester Gilbert's Radio Sailing website has a very good explanation of this, along with a spreadsheet that allows you to calculate the locations. See http://www.onemetre.net/Build/Sheeting/Sheeting.htm

Just read another part of his "set up" page and he says, "Make sure the jib boom sheeting radius (distance between pivot point and jib sheet attachment point) is around 10% longer than the main boom sheeting radius (distance between gooseneck pivot axis and main sheet attachment point)." This would be a good place to start.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Last edited by FoamCrusher; Sep 03, 2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: New information
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:27 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
I reduced the travel on my RMG and put 2:1 on the mainsheet and got the jib and main close, but not enough as the jib would only go out to approx 75 degrees which is not enough. So I added a Jib sheet adjuster servo at the other end of the jib sheet of the jib sheet and now had to much travel on the jib sheet. Ok now I am going to put a HS765BB sail winch servo with an arm in for the jib sheet adjuster servo with the long arm. That will give me enough adjustment to get the jib out 90 degrees. Gonna use another of the same servo for the backstay adjuster servo hooked to my 3:1 purchase. Learning more stuff, building is a pain.
Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:48 AM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
208 Posts
Ryan, this is why I don't like RMG winches, but back to how to set up your sheets, tape the jib and main sheets where you think they will go, then operate the winch to see if it is close, adjust the tape in, if the boom goes to far or move it out, if it dose not go far enough till you get the jib and the main to the proper position, then this is where the attachment points are, this is a lot easier than I make it sound, just takes time
John R.
tbarjohn is offline Find More Posts by tbarjohn
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
John R.
That wont work as you reduce the travel of the loop to much if you have two attachment points. RMG winches work well on boats that have almost equal length jib and main sheets.
I can see why arm winches work better than RMG winches in Santa Barbaras. I think my plan will work albeit a bit complicated and very exspesive. Looks like you run you lines on deck, would love to see a picture of that. Ryan
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:33 PM
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Dec 2004
169 Posts
SB Winches

Ryan

I can bring my SB to Monterey (that has a winch) if you want to see it.

Bill
Ducati-Rider is online now Find More Posts by Ducati-Rider
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
Bill
Does your SB have an RMG IN it?
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:32 PM
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Dec 2004
169 Posts
Picture to you

Not sure - will take a pic tonight
and send to you.
Ducati-Rider is online now Find More Posts by Ducati-Rider
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:04 AM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
208 Posts
Ryan, if you check post #167, I put a drawing of my set up, I think my attachments points are, jib 8 1/2" from the swivel, and main 16" from the mast, I use 12" sheet on the jib and 23" sheet on the main, this will give you the 2:1 for the main, as for not liking the RMG winch in a S/B, it is harder to set up than arm winch and maintain, with arm if you need more travel on the jib, you just drill another hole out further, if you need less sheet on the main just drill another hole in further, easy to maintain, no trying to keep the sheet on the drum, also I found out my RMG didn't like my DX6i, had to put in another switch just for the RMG, hope this helps
John R.
tbarjohn is offline Find More Posts by tbarjohn
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:25 AM
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
John R,
I think running a Hitec 765 sailwinch as the Jib twitcher?? should solve the issue as all I need is about three inches of adjustment on on the other end of the jib sheet and with the stock arm that comes with the 765, and reducing the EPA, I should have no problem with getting the right throw. I hope I will have no radio issues as I am running a brand new futaba 6EX 2.4 radio. All of my sheets will be below decks except for when they come up to attach to the boom or jib boom. Hope my stuff will be here tomorrow and I can work late and be ready for the SFMYC race on Sunday. Gonna sail my IOM on Saturday. Ryan
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
Well no package from Tower Hobbies today. I guess that means I can't race on sunday. Will for sure make the last SFMYC race of the season on the 29th. Ryan
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:40 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
606 Posts
geometery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
John R,
all I need is about three inches of adjustment on on the other end of the jib sheet and with the stock arm that comes with the 765, and reducing the EPA, I should have no problem with getting the right throw. I hope I will have no radio issues as I am running a brand new futaba 6EX 2.4 radio. Ryan
Maybe bring it to the meeting Saturday. Several skippers have drum rigs. Perhaps someone has dealt with this (drum-geometery) issue.

If you make it, say "hi"
wyldrydes2 is offline Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
Jerry,
I am going to an IOM event tomorrow in Foster City. Saw the tracking saying it may show up tomorrow. I doubt I will make it Sunday. Ryan
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
The box showed up, my ladyfriend picked it up for me. Will continue with assembly process as soon as possible. Will take some pictures in the near future. Ryan
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
Here are some pics of my boat.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
My boat took its first test sail late this afternoon. The boat sails well, although it needs some tuning. Would love to figure out the relationship between which hole on the mast step relates to which position the shrouds go to on the chainplates. Setting up the drum winch in a Santa Barbara is sure a challenge, but a real learning experience. The IOM mainsheet post sure does work well. Any advice on a better solution to keeping the sheets from snagging or tangling? Hope to see as many of you on the race course. Ryan