SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
I sent you an email with an idea for dates. How about a one day or weekend event?? Not sure what the feeling would be. How about being a big boat regatta that includes the wheeler fleet to? I can't do the first weekend in October as I will be at a hobie regatta. Really wanna do some more sailing after working so hard to get this boat together.
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:41 AM
Sport R/C Flyer/Sailer/Driver
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined Nov 2001
263 Posts
Possibly a SB for Sale

Found in another forum's classifieds. Reputedly a Santa Barbra for sale in New Jersey.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=860217
MMangus is offline Find More Posts by MMangus
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
MMangus,
That boat your link points to is not a Santa Barbara. It is a weird looking boat, not sure what it is. Ryan
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:58 AM
Sport R/C Flyer/Sailer/Driver
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined Nov 2001
263 Posts
Like I mentioned, reputedly. Heh.

Noticed the sail markings after posting and tried to research the boat. "A" designation on the sails does not seem to match up with anything in the AMYA.

My apologies for posting this here. I'm rather new to the sailing scene and haven't gotten to know all the various classes yet.
MMangus is offline Find More Posts by MMangus
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:31 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
It may be an International A class originally designed for vane sailing and converted to RC. The undersized main may be a B or C rig.

The class is now called International RA and modern ones look like these.

http://radioaclass.wordpress.com/

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
I am getting reading to mount my RMG in the boat and have roughly estimated that I will need 26" of sheet travel for the main sheet and approx 19 inches of sheet travel for the jib sheet. Going to thru bolt the bracket I made to hold my RMG to the mast compression post and run the endless loop on the starboard side of the boat aft to a pad eye thru bolted to the underside of the deck aft of the main hatch. Got to figure out the geometry inside the boat so that I get the right amount of sheet travel on the jib.
Is it legal to use a 3:1 purchase on the backstay? So many things to think of with a mostly scratch build. Ryan
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
608 Posts
boom travel & winch placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
I am getting reading to mount my RMG in the boat and have roughly estimated that I will need 26" of sheet travel for the main sheet and approx 19 inches of sheet travel for the jib sheet. Going to thru bolt the bracket I made to hold my RMG to the mast compression post and run the endless loop on the starboard side of the boat aft to a pad eye thru bolted to the underside of the deck aft of the main hatch. Got to figure out the geometry inside the boat so that I get the right amount of sheet travel on the jib.
Is it legal to use a 3:1 purchase on the backstay? So many things to think of with a mostly scratch build. Ryan
Ryan,
May I suggest you put the SBOD on her side with the rigging attached. Let the Jib and main hang free as close to 90* to the mast as possible (note: the mast's aft shroud will limit the booms angle). Attach the sheet to each boom. Route both sheets. Mark the sheet at a convenient spot. Haul the main in until its just (1") inside the the stern/transom corner. Mark the sheet. Measure the amount of sheet you hauled in.

Now placing the winch measure the radius of the arm to insure you have enough travel to pay out the jib & main plus hauling them in. Re the jib- put a snip of tape half way between the mast and the forward shroud. Use the tape as the beginning mark for hauling in the jib. Let the jib out to hang 90* to the longitudinal axis. Route the jib sheet. Mark it. Hall the jib in as you did with the main. measure the travel required. Make sure the winch arm point of attachment radius provides that amount of travel.

Once you have determined that the winch placement and winch arm provide the radius needed to haul the jib & main in, mount the winch.

In the case of 443, the mast aft shrouds were too far aft to allow the boom to fully extend. Then the winch was too close to the center (balance issues) to allow a long enough arm to provide the radius needed to payout the sheets for the boom to extend 90*. That may restrict the power when running because, initially, this setup only paid out to a mainsail broad reach.

Note- there is some controversy re paying the main out 90*. Some very experienced skippers believe the last 10* of mainsail boom travel doesn't have much affect on hull speed down wind. Maybe, we'll see.

Jerry
wyldrydes2 is offline Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Aug 02, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Apr 2012
608 Posts
Quote:
I sent you an email with an idea for dates. How about a one day or weekend event?? Not sure what the feeling would be. How about being a big boat regatta that includes the wheeler fleet to? I can't do the first weekend in October as I will be at a hobie regatta. Really wanna do some more sailing after working so hard to get this boat together.
We are trying to dial in a SBOD Bear Can Race (informal) @ Spreckels Lake either Sunday October 28 or November 4th 1-3pm. Send a pm with your e-mail so you can be included in the back-n-forth re the Fall BCR.
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Aug 06, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:17 PM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
215 Posts
Jerry I think Ryan is trying to set up a drum winch not a arm winch, Ryan I set up both of my RGM's 2:1 for the jib and main, I have all the rigging on deck so I can get to it, the sheet exits at the transom and go's forward, if you would like I can make a drawing?
John R.
tbarjohn is online now Find More Posts by tbarjohn
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
John R.
That would be cool. PM me and I will give you my regular email. Which RMG are you using?
I am going to mount my winch in front of the mast on a platform I just glassed in.
Jerry I am using an RMG not a servo city arm winch. Ryan
Last edited by Rssailor; Aug 03, 2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Apr 2012
608 Posts
informal (non sanctioned-Beer Can Race) SBODs race 10/28 or 11/5

Quote:
Jerry I am using an RMG not a servo city arm winch. Ryan
My bad. I didn't pick that up. Good luck.
Lots of back-n-forth re a SBOD "beer can race" (informal) either Sunday October 28 or November 5 at Spreckels Lake. 443 has to scratch for SBOD Aug. 4-electronic issues, grrrr
Onward.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
Jerry,
The new changes you made to the radio are not working like planned?? I will be gone for a week starting tomorrow, but when I get back, plan on working on the boat with the idea of getting it sailing by the 16th if possible. I hope to get the rig stepped on the boat later today after I put in my time at the slave pits. Ryan
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Apr 2012
608 Posts
no-go

Ryan,
Machine work is finished. Onboard electronic layout is installed. Tx mods are finished. However, connectivity issues i.e. powering up the TX and onboard electronics plus binding procedure now have squawks. Working through the system item-by-item looking for the glitch. Ran out of time for the SBOD race Saturday. Onward.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldrydes2 View Post
Ryan,
Working through the system item-by-item looking for the (electronic) glitch.
Squawk found and fixed. Faulty (new) regulator caused grief. Out with the old in with the new. There is light (power) at the end of the tunnel. Onward!
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Apr 2012
608 Posts
Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldrydes2 View Post
Squawk found. help
Here we converting a DX7 AC Tx to a SBOD-only Tx.
Converted AC rudder stick to a jib trim pot/servo
Converted AC aileron stick to a back-stay down-haul pot/servo

The jib pot conversion was a walk-in-th-park.
The down haul pot/servo-notsomuch.

The AC rudder stick's DX7 pot had three (28g) wires which are cut with the jib's pot's wires solder in. No problem.

However, the AC aileron stick's pot is connected to the circuit board with 3 tangs-issues!

Without a wiring diagram, knowing for certain where the aileron tangs attach to the circuit board is a guess-not good.

Question: Can someone illustrate, photograph, draw, link or counsel where to solder the down haul pot/servo wires to the circuit board?! Help!

The first picture is the new pot added to the DX7
The second picture shows a yellow pointer aimed at the area of the DX7 s aileron pot tang connection (s)

Thanks in advance.
Jerry
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Aug 06, 2012 at 07:05 PM.