SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:30 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Seems like starboard would be a little on the heavy side to me... and if you can find it in the smaller thicknesses (1/8) it might not be very rigid? Great stuff for companionway drop boards on big boats though!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:02 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
913 Posts
With the boats weighing between 23 and 26lbs, a few extra ounces should not be a big deal. Most guys use wood which is not the lightest either. Thought about carbon fibre which means I have to mold a piece. May still do that though. Gotta get the boat painted first. Ryan
Rssailor is online now Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:18 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
623 Posts
making SBOD electronic installation package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
With the boats weighing between 23 and 26lbs, a few extra ounces should not be a big deal. Most guys use wood which is not the lightest either. Thought about carbon fibre which means I have to mold a piece. May still do that though. Gotta get the boat painted first. Ryan
Thought I'd share some pictures of this electronic package upgrade in my 1971 Vortex SBOD. The 1971 Vortex servo wasn't competitive lacking speed and precision of the new ServoCity 7955 5:1 digital programable gearbox servo system.

Reading your narrative about installation, I thought I toss in my 2 cents worth. Re servo gearbox placement-placement from center is determined by the length of control arm which is controlled by how much travel the main sheet requires. If the servo is near center (pic #1) the length of the arm is reduced and the paying out of the mainsail is less.
Picture #1 (left-right).

During Region 6 SFMYC, 443 would tack with the best but was slower than others when running. Comparing rigging, some (top finishing) booms let out nearly 90*. 443 let out 70-75*.

This is controversial. Some argue the last few degrees wont affect much difference in running speed. However, loosing a lead to one after another led me add more travel to the main boom (other riggings issues notwithstanding).

So, the FIX- A longer servo arm will increase the main's sheet payout. That said, the servo has to move farther from the center. So, picture #3 is milling different servo arm (s) for rigidness, lightness and size. Picture #4 is the latest installation package which eliminates the radio box entirely but includes the gearbox, rudder, jim trim & backstay down haul servos.

This package reduced the above waterline weight +16oz (443 should now weigh 25lbs complete) as compared to the 1971 configuration.

In a perfect world, the keel weight would increase to the maximum (16lbs) but that's for another day.

Good luck in SD!
wyldrydes2 is online now Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:45 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
...a few extra ounces should not be a big deal.
When those "few extra ounces" are used in the keel, rather than the radio board, it might make a difference. If not technically, psychologically.

every ounce counts.
Last edited by Aerominded; Jul 26, 2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:02 AM
Joined Nov 2010
913 Posts
Well sailing the boat well and having it operate properly will do wonders as well. I think Rich (wildeyes) would agree? waiting for another paint sprayer to paint the boat as the first one did not work out. Ryan
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:33 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Well sailing the boat well and having it operate properly will do wonders as well.
Indeed.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Nov 2010
913 Posts
The boat is coming together slowly. Boat wont get painted till next week due to the fact new sprayer did not arrive. Also I cant make it to San Diego as I cant get parts in time to fix the suspension on the fifth wheel in time and I cant afford a hotel. Good luck to all in SD. Ryan
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:47 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Fifth wheel? Why not a tent instead? make it an adventure!

How much gas would it take to tow a trailer to SD?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Apr 2012
623 Posts
SBOD 443 electronic package revision 4

Sorry to hear you can't make SD. Next year @ SFMYC?! 443 isn't ready for SD, sad to say. But the work goes on.

Here is the latest version of the electronic package. This setup dramatically increases the travel of the (jib & main) booms. Some say it's not worth the effort-we'll see. A side benefit is reduced above-the-water-line weight by one pound

Quote:
The boat is coming together slowly. Boat wont get painted till next week due to the fact new sprayer did not arrive. Also I cant make it to San Diego as I cant get parts in time to fix the suspension on the fifth wheel in time and I cant afford a hotel. Good luck to all in SD. Ryan
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:32 PM
Joined Nov 2010
913 Posts
Jerry,
I did get some stuff done this morning while waiting for the spray station that never showed up.
Will take some pictures tomorrow. Experimenting with a carbon and epoxy radio board, will see how it turned out. Good to see you are getting your winch worked out.
To bad the racing season at our club ends in September. Oh well I can sail with the Sacramento guys up till November, but not the same as sailing at Spreckles. I think we should harass our commodore for a fall regatta. Ryan
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:18 AM
Joined Apr 2012
623 Posts
More is Better!

Quote:
Jerry,

To bad the racing season at our club ends in September. Oh well I can sail with the Sacramento guys up till November, but not the same as sailing at Spreckles. I think we should harass our commodore for a fall regatta. Ryan
Ryan,
Indian Summer (October-November) is the best weather in the bay area. Lets put a group of renegades together and race?! OMOD Tuesday, (Wheeler's, 2, Wed), 54s Thursday leaves us with Mon, (Wed), Fri plus Sat or Sun for SBOD's. I bracketed Wheelers (2) because they shut down for August. Perhaps we could join forces with Jim & Sam for big boat renegade's mock racing?!

No reason to shut down after September with nearly 20 SBOD's in the club house.
More sailing is better!
JerryT

SBOD Region 6 pic....
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Jul 28, 2012 at 12:26 AM. Reason: added info
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:12 AM
Joined Nov 2010
913 Posts
Jerry,
I can schedule time on weekends, but weekdays are nearly impossible this fall with school and work. Would love to get some fall racing in with the fleet. Ryan
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
623 Posts
Quote:
Jerry,
I can schedule time on weekends, but weekdays are nearly impossible this fall with school and work. Would love to get some fall racing in with the fleet. Ryan
Roger that, Ryan
The Wheeler's have the same issue (work). How about Saturday's (or atheist Sunday's) for off-season Big Boat Renegade Regattas (BBRR)- pronounced "burrrrr" Ha!

re 443's electronic package-wired regulator, 5000 2s 30C, 6100 DMS2 into switch&light. Need to wrap-up customizing Tx DX7I with the dual rates switches are removed and potentiometers installed controlling jib-trim and backstay down haul. Very cool conversion is less of a hassle than expected (so far).

SBOD's putting the scuppers to the brine @ Sprekals Lake GG Park SF
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Jul 28, 2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Nov 2010
913 Posts
Well the build is still going slowly. The carbon radio board came out really nice. Got a clear coat of epoxy drying on it now. Had to reattach one side of the rudder support as it had broken loose from the hull. Made a custom rudder linkage as I could not find one long enough. Used the sailsetc tube and then cut it in half and epoxied it into a carbon tube to make it longer. That should work quite nicely. Sanded the keel with 500 grit and it came out lookin good although a few scratches need fairing, but not bad for something that is 30 plus years old.
Building a boat almost from scratch is not easy. Discovered I have the wrong crimps for my .8MM wire for the boat, oh well another thing to order. Man by the time I get done, I sure will have ordered a ton of stuff and stimulated the economy. More work on the boat next week as I have time. Here are a few pictures.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Mar 2007
34 Posts
SFMYC Fall S/B regatta

Harass the Commodore for a Fall S/B regatta? Sure, go ahead, everyone else harasses the Commodore. Actually, it's a good idea. As Jerry points out October has some of the Bay Area's best weather. Let's put our heads together, pick a date, decide if we want to charge an entry fee for a BBQ or an award (s) and go for it!
Bob Heacock is offline Find More Posts by Bob Heacock