SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 24, 2011, 08:44 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,061 Posts
Be interesting to see just how long the wait will be. Even more interesting to see the actual plane in the hands of the end user. I'm particularly interested in the retracts 90 degree rotating has always been a issue even with the major retract manufactures.
Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:41 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,018 Posts
agree , the retracts is my biggest concern .The worm gear is the weak point on the FMS retracts but you can buy replacement parts .
The other biggest weakpoint is non-functioning strut .I would love the option to add an oleo strut on my own , but most plastic leg retracts will not allow you to do so .
The plastic legs dont allow any support or give on hard landings
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:50 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
The word is "June" there is still a few days of June yet...
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:28 PM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,061 Posts
So August isn't out of the question. Hope I'm wrong but this seems to be the trend.
Mike
Old Jun 24, 2011, 04:10 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
I paid $261 preorder (this week) from RCwarze , if I get shipped as predicted , I will be very happy with the servace so far .
he said there comeing in this week then they will ship esm .
Just ordered mine. Let's hope we get a tracking# so we know when to expect it.

If things go well then I'll order the new Corsair when they get them in.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Jun 24, 2011, 04:41 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663 View Post
So August isn't out of the question. Hope I'm wrong but this seems to be the trend.
Mike
Yeah it was like that with the B-17's. Now they're everywhere
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:35 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2010
366 Posts
Although this plane looks beautiful I have major reservations about these Starmax models ability to fly straight from the box.

I had 2 P51ís, one I flew stock (albeit I replaced the ESC) the other I upgraded with E-Flite parts.

The Stock (Gunfighter) model I lost this weekend as the motor burnt out, many others have had serious problems with the ESC.
The ridiculously small (non-scale) wheels cause me all sorts of problems on our grass landing strip.

I love the A1 Skyraider, probably one of my favourite aircraft of all time and this one looks lovely, I suspect though that if you see beyond the aesthetic beauty youíll find the same old problems. The motor looks the same from the pictures and the wheels havenít been changed.
The43rdHammer is offline Find More Posts by The43rdHammer
Old Jun 29, 2011, 05:31 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,018 Posts
Well for the size, the value is still good . I figured I would upgrade my servos as I dont trsut 9gram servos on a 65" plus size model . I know others said its about torque ect , but I dont care , I just feel 9 gram servos has no business in moving a larger flying surface when proven to fail at the 55mm size planes .
However I pulled the trigger on this plane because I felt that I can pick up the 17oz medal gear servos from HK and have proven flawless for me at ($10.00 a piece ) .
Then I will build an interior kit and possibly a sliding canopy , so motor and esc will be an expected replacement .Rob (the exported from Brisbane ) even said he would probably work on airframe only versions in the future in all starmax models .
Chcek out the new P47 from starmax, man that one is also looks sweet !!
I am hoping they get there act straight , the larger size epos is creating a liqudation by me on my 70" fuel planes lol , these planes simply make RC warbirds a total joy because of the light wing loading !!
As far as wheels , I felt the wheels on this plane as well as the corsair looked correct , do you feel they are still undersized ? Again no biggie but I am not familar with the scale equity on this plane, I have never liked it , as a fact hated it !! I just love the history behind this plane and the men who flew it !! So in all honesty it grew on me but I am not an experts at all . I am going to pick up a few scale books on the differant versions
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:14 AM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,061 Posts
Just curious anyone done any business with RCWarez.com.? They have this on a pre-order for 200 bucks less shipping (another 50 to 60 bucks). I've never heard of them nor do I normally fall for the pre-order deal ( due to the the fact that it could be 6 months before you see it). There's a guy here in town who just has to have this one and I'd like to beat him to it if I can. Just for the fun of it
Thanks
Mike
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:22 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,018 Posts
yep , me and few others are awaiting our planes from him . No idea how it will end but so far been first class in communication and updates.
He received his orders (in one day from the factory) .He said he was not happy with the shipping cartons from the factory to Brisbane , and is now repacking at his own expence to ship to the states . So far no tracking numbers but again in his defence he received the planes aprox last week , give or take a day .
I do trust him based on all the pre-and post order communication .I am levaing the guy alone as in RC we can be worse then old ladys waiting for a cup of tea with baggering emails and updates .
I know he has the larger P47 coming in as well as the Corsair .
Also his margins and shipping is lower then anyones , so we will see how it works out .
I travel globally for a living so I have no problems visiting places in the event they have a difficult time shipping me or perhaps forget about me all together lol .
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:28 AM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
yep , me and few others are awaiting our planes from him . No idea how it will end but so far been first class in communication and updates.
He received his orders (in one day from the factory) .He said he was not happy with the shipping cartons from the factory to Brisbane , and is now repacking at his own expence to ship to the states . So far no tracking numbers but again in his defence he received the planes aprox last week , give or take a day .
I do trust him based on all the pre-and post order communication .I am levaing the guy alone as in RC we can be worse then old ladys waiting for a cup of tea with baggering emails and updates .
I know he has the larger P47 coming in as well as the Corsair .
Also his margins and shipping is lower then anyones , so we will see how it works out .
I travel globally for a living so I have no problems visiting places in the event they have a difficult time shipping me or perhaps forget about me all together lol .
Thanks I'm mulling it over. His shipping pricing is actuality pretty good considering the size of the carton.
Mike
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:30 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2010
366 Posts
Hi LDM - I think our paths may have crossed (in a good way) on the H9 Spitfire thread

For me these EPO warbirds are great, but they're viewed as cheap so people are only prepared to pay a certain amount for them which leads manufacturers to install cheap parts that aren't fit for purpose.

Donít get me wrong, the airframes are superb but the motors, ESCs, motor mounts and spinner back plates have serious flawsÖ all items youíd rather not have issues with Iím sure youíll agree.

My experience with my 2 other Starmax birds didnít lead me to get too concerned about the servos, the other bits mentioned above were sub-standard to say the least (Iím trying to stay polite about them).

As for the wheels, they are certainly a lot smaller than scale on the P51 and the P47 looks even more out of place. Like you Iím less concerned with getting all fussy about scale details but what I do know is those wheels performed very badly on our grass runway, OK we donít have the luxury of a black-top runway but it isnít a bad surface and those wheels are just hopeless.

I would buy another Starmax, donít get me wrong, but Iíd be doing it in the knowledge that Iíd be replacing the front end electrics wholesale.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 05:34 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2010
366 Posts
Some food for thought for everybody reading this thread perhaps...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2197

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2198

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2200

and

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post18668629
Old Jul 04, 2011, 05:43 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,018 Posts
yo

hey glad to see you over in these threads as well !!
I agree 100% with your assesment , I know that many of the stramax jets had some qc issues but I am also told that they really cleaned up there act , so I guess time will tell .
The first A1 have arrived , sounds like so far the packing is one of the concerns .Retracts seem sturdy but only time will tell after field tested and flown .
On another note I am really starting to convert my existing fleet over , most likely will do the same with my Hanger 9 orsair !!!
Old Jul 04, 2011, 06:09 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2010
366 Posts
Hey LDM - I'll definately be getting this Skyraider but will be using all of the lessons and experience learned from my Mustang(s) to completely upgrade her before she even sees a runway.

My one concern is the wheels, I'll need to put bigger ones on her (3.5") to use her on my grass strip - quite how I'll do this with the twist and locks I don't know, I'm hoping you guys might take some pictures for me so I can work out if it's possible or not