HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2013, 02:58 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,820 Posts
This sounds like an entirely different plane compared to the starmax P51... I've already posted in the AU WTB thread, I'll see if I get any bites, otherwise next week I may well take the proverbial plunge

Thanks guys for the feedback, much appreciated!
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:15 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2004
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
This sounds like an entirely different plane compared to the starmax P51... I've already posted in the AU WTB thread, I'll see if I get any bites, otherwise next week I may well take the proverbial plunge

Thanks guys for the feedback, much appreciated!

FYI HobbyKing finally has them back in stock . They also had like a $15 or $20 off on Black Friday sale
Go4it is online now Find More Posts by Go4it
Old Dec 12, 2013, 06:33 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,548 Posts
Quote:
Serious?! All stock servos, motor, ESC/bec etc, other than the twist n turn retracts? I am very surprised
The worse Starmax experience was the P51, literally the only half decent electrical component was the motor...
I am all ears, and now getting even more tempted...
Strange I have an original Dago Red with 50 flights all original everything and still flies great. With that said.... the retracts have been the weak point...no failures, but in need to replacement.

On the A1 front, I have one on deck to build. Same family of models from Starmax as the P51 series, so many things are alike. One instant change will be PW-RC retracts during the build. Excited to get the A1 airborne.
kydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by kydawg1
Last edited by kydawg1; Jan 24, 2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 12, 2013, 07:09 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,039 Posts
Quote:
Serious?! All stock servos, motor, ESC/bec etc, other than the twist n turn retracts? I am very surprised
The worse Starmax experience was the P51, literally the only half decent electrical component was the motor...
I am all ears, and now getting even more tempted...
Mines all stock also short of the retracts.So far no issues after many years of flying..

Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Dec 14, 2013, 09:38 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,820 Posts
awww bugger... accidentally click the buy button...
Crazy thing with HobbyKing though, I couldn't buy from the Aussie warehouse because the courier they use refuse to deliver to a post box so I had to order from the International w'house.

I have pwrc 180 retracts on the shelf but are 90 deg, I'll prob keep these for my 1700mm P40 I am yet to finish. I also have some WingSpan retracts (originally intended for the P40) I will probably install into this A-1 because they are 100 deg, hopefully should remedy the anticipated nose over dendancy. I'll replace all servos (just dont trust stock cheapies, although I am tempted going by some of the reports here...) and might try a different motor/prop combo for a little more reserve power... I've just watched a few crashes on youtube due to insufficient air speed on takeoff, could be a lot were from holding up-elev too long but makes me think the stock setup on 4S may not quite be enough perhaps?
Anyhoo, looking forward to the arrival
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:30 AM
Alpine Aero Sqdn.
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2012
260 Posts
Man I hope I get this plane from a member on here. Been reading up on this plane and I love it. Reminds me of the Flight Of The Intruder.
619SixFour is offline Find More Posts by 619SixFour
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:32 PM
Joined Apr 2009
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 619SixFour View Post
Man I hope I get this plane from a member on here. Been reading up on this plane and I love it. Reminds me of the Flight Of The Intruder.
It's available new from the US Hobby King location.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
carlcorn is offline Find More Posts by carlcorn
Old Jan 25, 2014, 01:38 PM
Rc Flying is my Sanity!
United States, CA, San Jacinto
Joined Mar 2010
487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 619SixFour View Post
I have what you need........... complete with upgraded retracts from PW-rc......
Fast_Eddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast_Eddy
Old Mar 09, 2014, 09:40 PM
Joined Mar 2004
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P 51 Jockey View Post
I bought one here used off the forums. It had a few flights on it from the previous owner. The carnage was the following:

Bent prop shaft
Delaminated fuselage in the nose (probably from the bent prop shaft)
Retracts not working (epoxied in down position)
Stripped flap servo

So, I put in some PW-RC metal trunion retracts with his Oleo struts, replaced both flap servos (HXT 900), glued the nose back together with Welders glue and machined off the hex area on an FMS prop shaft. Installed a Castle 10A BEC and flew it on 5 cell 3300's. It flew really nice and landed like a Piper Cub. I'm pretty happy with it and I'm only in it for $190.

When you added the 5S lipo did you change the ESC or is the stock ESC rated for a 5S
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:57 AM
"the bouncer"
Australia, VIC, Vermont
Joined Nov 2006
4,689 Posts
You will have to change the ESC , the four blades draw a lot of amps .
mackone is offline Find More Posts by mackone
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:49 AM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,608 Posts
My friend flies his on 5s with the stock prop not sure if he changed the esc
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:01 PM
United States, AL, Northport
Joined Apr 2010
146 Posts
I fly a 6s 3000 on my stock setup. No problems since purchase almost 2 years ago
Razerworkz is offline Find More Posts by Razerworkz
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:16 PM
Joined Mar 2004
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razerworkz View Post
I fly a 6s 3000 on my stock setup. No problems since purchase almost 2 years ago

Did you change the ESC
Old Mar 12, 2014, 05:13 AM
"the bouncer"
Australia, VIC, Vermont
Joined Nov 2006
4,689 Posts
Im only going by earlier post in this thread , if you go more than 4s then change your esc .
Always take into account the Temp where you are flying ..... a hot esc may not smoke at 10degreesC but at 40c punching into a headwind it will .
mackone is offline Find More Posts by mackone
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:21 AM
United States, AL, Northport
Joined Apr 2010
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go4it View Post
Did you change the ESC
No, stock ESC.
Razerworkz is offline Find More Posts by Razerworkz