Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by baddb1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:08 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,215 Posts
Cool
Converted prop Coota water plane to EDF

So I have to give all the credit to "Velyter" here on RCG for giving me this idea! I removed the old motor pod and added a 55mm EDF on my Coota. And, as promised, it worked very well! Well..... at least until the ESC quit and it went ker-splash!! LOL I should have added some cooling for the ESC since the coota originally flew fine with a smaller 20A but I had to use a 30A for the EDF w/ a 4500KV motor. Sooo, back to the drawing board for a few mods. Luckily, only the EDF just broke clean off and a litle hot glue will fix her up just fine! Here's the vid of it:
EDF Coota (4 min 10 sec)
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2011, 08:01 AM
United States, MA, Tyngsborough
Joined Jun 2010
287 Posts
Coota Cooling

The Motor pod has a vent in front and an opening to dump air into the body. This gives the ESC cooling air. The duct fan removed that.

This cooling arrangment makes a place for unwanted water spray, so I put a water-shield piece of plastic, and some drain holes in the neck to the motor pod. The air has a little more resistance but the water spray is caught and drains out.
OwlPic is offline Find More Posts by OwlPic