SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 25, 2011, 05:50 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
The JC chargers wouldn't accept the NE batteries, ribs or no ribs, as the JC batteries utilise a different battery connection. The JC batteries are the same as the MSR batteries (small, square, two pin plug.)
Aaah, you're right. They only copied the shape of the Nine Eagles charger, but used the mSR style connector. Just like with the heli, the TX is clearly "inspired" by the mSR, but the heli shares a lot with the Solo Pro.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2011, 05:53 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
The 9558, which is an MSR clone, could use the JC charger.

I love it, JC cloned the Solo Pro charger which can be used by another companies MSR clone.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:11 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Finally received my HK order today.

Haven't had a chance to perform any extensive testing but I did perform one flight on each battery.

I ordered:

- Turnigy nano-tech 130mAh
- Turnigy nano-tech 160mAh
- Turnigy 160mAh

I've charged them all. Only had one flight on each, here are the results:
  • Turnigy nano-tech 130mAh
  • Price: $1.26
  • Weight: 3.8g
  • Flight time: 5:00 minutes
  • Impressions: Performance seemed slightly improved over the stock LiPo, not power as such but I think that the battery being lighter made the heli feel slightly more responsive. At the 4:30 mark the heli was showing signs of struggling and at 5 minutes there was no power left for flying. I think 5 minutes is the maximum you could safely fly for with this battery, and that may be pushing it.
  • Turnigy nano-tech 160mAh
  • Price: $1.40
  • Weight: 4.5g
  • Impressions: Performance was about the same as the included stock LiPo. Power was noticeably diminishing approaching the 5 minute mark. After a full 5 minutes there was very little power left. The tail was struggling to hold and there wasn't much power left for climbing. I think that flight times of 5:30 is about all you can expect. The battery is a tight fit into the holder and it seems to add too much weight to the heli.
  • Turnigy 160mAh
  • Price: $1.69
  • Weight: 4.3g
  • Impressions: Performance was noticeably improved over the stock LiPo. The heli climbed faster and pirouetted faster. I wan't constantly working the throttle to keep the heli in the air, it felt perfectly balanced and was a joy to fly. At the 5 minute mark there was still power in reserve. I think once the battery is worn in 6 minute flights will be obtainable. This battery seems to provide an ideal amount of power at an ideal weight.

So there you have it.

My conclusion:

Very happy with the performance of the Turnigy 160mAh. It outperforms the stock LiPo, fits perfectly into the battery holder, the weight and power of this battery seems to be ideal for this helicopter and at $1.69 great value for money.

The Turnigy nano-tech 130mAh just doesn't have enough power for this helicopter, simple as that.

The Turnigy nano-tech 160mAh provided adequate power, about the same as the stock LiPo, but seems slightly too large and heavy for this helicopter. A reasonable choice if nothing else existed but you would be much better off spending the extra and going with the Turnigy 160mAh.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:32 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,535 Posts
Wait, the standard Turnigy 160 performs better and is more expensive than the 160 Nano-Tech? That's odd, since HK markets the Nano-Tech ones as being more powerfull, with higher C-rating...

I tried the same cells in a Solo Pro, and found that the standard 160 worked best, with longer flight times, but never lasted over 10 to 15 cycles, before losing all power and flight times decreased to a minute. The Nano-Tech 160 is too heavy in my opinion as well, and I didn't get much longer flights than the 130 version, due to the extra weight negating the extra 30 mAh capacity.

However, in a small plane like the HobbyZone Champ the Nano 130 surpassed the stock HobbyZone 150 mAh battery by a big distance. With the stock one I got LVC when going to full throttle after as little as 5 minutes of flight, but with the Nano 130 I got no LVC even after close to 10 minutes of flying.

You might want to try a Hyperion 130 or Intellect 130 in this heli, it really has much more acceleration power. It would also help if this heli was a little lighter, it is now about the same weight as a Bravo SX, which can fly about 5 minutes on a good 150 mAh lipo. Or fit a Nine Eagles landing gear or connector (the connector on the Xtreme skids is a seperate part, so it can be swapped over easily to another heli) and use the 120 OEM batteries. These are quite light, but offer nice performance in the Solo Pro.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:49 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
I was surprised too, that the standard 160 performed better, it was quite a noticeable difference too.

It seems our experiments have yielded similar results with these batteries.

I've actually listed my JC on eBay so that I can use the proceeds towards an SX. Fingers crossed that it sells for a good price.

Re batteries, a little off topic but in the same order I also had some of the HK 150mAh OEM's for the NE helis. Tried one in my Solo Pro outside, definitely increased the wind fighting ability. I was surprised at how much larger they are physically. Haven't had the time to test them out fully but initial results seem very positive. Think I will only use them for outdoors use though, too much power and weight for inside.

Oh, also received a 1/4 filled solid lump of CA from HK too, cheers guys! It was only $1 so I wasn't expecting much anyhow.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:57 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
I was surprised too, that the standard 160 performed better, it was quite a noticeable difference too.

It seems our experiments have yielded similar results with these batteries.

I've actually listed my JC on eBay so that I can use the proceeds towards an SX. Fingers crossed that it sells for a good price.

Re batteries, a little off topic but in the same order I also had some of the HK 150mAh OEM's for the NE helis. Tried one in my Solo Pro outside, definitely increased the wind fighting ability. I was surprised at how much larger they are physically. Haven't had the time to test them out fully but initial results seem very positive. Think I will only use them for outdoors use though, too much power and weight for inside.

Oh, also received a 1/4 filled solid lump of CA from HK too, cheers guys! It was only $1 so I wasn't expecting much anyhow.
So your JC is not a keeper...

Perhaps the supplier for the 160s changed, so you get a better battery for the money. That would explain why these got more expensive, and perform much better. I got 2 shipments of the standard 160 and the second batch seemed better, but even these died pretty soon.

As for the OEM 150, it's my favorite SP outside battery. The added weight up front keeps it moving better, especially when going from a right turn to a left one, which usually slows the heli down a lot, almost to standstill.

And the glue, well, they didn't state it was still a fluid, right?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2011, 03:53 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
So your JC is not a keeper...
Nope. Nothing wrong with it, just too tame for my liking and it doesn't do anything better than my Solo Pro - so why have 2 helicopters that are essentially the same?

I want to get an SX for the scale fuselage and increased speed, and because I love my Solo Pro so much I know that I will enjoy the SX. Next on my list will be the 328 but as it is winter here I figured I would get more value out of the SX, as this can still be flown indoors. Come summertime I will pick up a 328 and by then the price may have dropped and any kinks might be rectified with later revisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
And the glue, well, they didn't state it was still a fluid, right?
No, they did not. Oh well, I only threw it in the order to make up the shipping weight, guess I could eat it or something.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 02:26 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,697 Posts
G'day Frank
A friend of mine was looking for your ebay listing and could not find it. where is it please. he liked the look of my one.
Chris......
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Jun 29, 2011, 02:52 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Hey Chris,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....STRK:MESELX:IT
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:57 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,697 Posts
I have a problem with my model. When I open the throttle, the tail motor starts OK and the rudder imput varies the rotor speed OK, but the main motor does not always start, instead a high pitched noise is heard .The model will not fly in this condition. now is this simply the motor needs to be replaced or a PCB problem.I am sure this would be a similar Solo Pro problem. I am a bit new to these little machines.
Chris.............
Last edited by britinoz; Jul 15, 2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:46 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz View Post
I have a problem with my model. When I open the throttle, the tail motor starts OK and the rudder imput varies the rotor speed OK, but the main motor does not always start, instead a high pitched noise is heard .The model will not fly in this condition. now is this simply the motor needs to be replaced or a PCB problem.I am sure this would be a similar Solo Pro promlem. I am a bit new to these little machines.
Chris.............
I think your main motor is done for. At least, if the rotor still rotates smoothly when doing this manually. If the main shaft is binding, the motor won't be able to turn the blades.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:52 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,697 Posts
How did I know you would answer my question. That's what I thought may be the problem . It's just that I did no know what sort of a life they had .Just as well I have a few spare's on the way to me.
Dank je
Chris.........
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:04 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz View Post
How did I know you would answer my question. That's what I thought may be the problem . It's just that I did no know what sort of a life they had .Just as well I have a few spare's on the way to me.
Dank je
Chris.........
You're Dutch?

I also have no idea what life to expect from these motors. Some cheap motors, like those on the Solo Pro, last a long time, and some cheap motors might live as short as 20 flights or so. Even expensive motors, like on the Align 100, can be short-lived though...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:19 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,697 Posts
No not Dutch My wife is Dutch ''she was over there a few weeks ago' and I am a BRIT LIVING IN AUSTRALIA
giving my call sign as 'brit in oz''. I detected the motor running'' if'y'' a short time ago, so I have a Solo Pro motor arriving soon ,and I am sure it will fit OK and hopefully it may even last longer.
Chris......
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:38 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
How's the one I sold you going Chris? Is your son enjoying it?