Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:57 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,267 Posts
Contest
ECHLGF-2011, 7-9 October, Wilson, North Carolina

East Coast Hand Launch Glider Festival - 2011

Down East Soaring Society is pleased to announce the 10-th annual East Coast HLG Festival!
This will be a qualification event for the USA team selection finals, the final event of the 2011 USA F3K Tour,
and the final event of the ESL season.
  • Fun fly, informal contest on Friday, October 7
  • F3K tasks with possible modifications on Saturday and Sunday, October 8-9
  • Best pilots (6 experts and 3 sportsmen, subject to change) go into the Fly-Offs on Sunday
  • Free entry if this is your FIRST ever contest
  • Lunch provided on Saturday and Sunday, on-field dinner on Saturday
  • Pilots meeting 8:30am Saturday, flying starts 8:45am Saturday, 8:00am Sunday
  • Last preliminary round starts no later than 1:00pm on Sunday

Registration and task list will be available shortly and we will announce it here. We do not
expect to have to limit the number of pilots.

Here is a link to the Google map of the field: DESS field (Google map)

Click the link or the map below to get directions to the field from your place!

Please, make your travel arrangements now and free up your October 7-9 weekend for this great event.
We will be posting more information as it becomes available. Watch this thread for more announcements!
olgol is offline Find More Posts by olgol
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:44 AM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,378 Posts
ehhhh, the DESS huh? Sounds like an OK group. I guess I can make this one

I've got to redeem myself from last year anyway!
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Jun 15, 2011, 02:31 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,267 Posts
Is there any interest in having teams? team protection?
we can run 3 pilot teams without team protection, just for bragging rights.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2011, 02:58 PM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
I am all for teams if your my partner

My birthday is the 9th, and I plan to attend this year.

Brian P.
I_Can't_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Can't_Fly
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2011, 03:30 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,195 Posts
Teams etc.

Personally I don't care about Braging Rights, but I like the regular 2 man team thing, only because it means that I have my usual timer so I don't have to go looking for some extras, who may or may not "really" want to time for me/you. It just takes some load off the pilots. Those who have been flying a long, long time or are top fliers may not have to hussle as hard for timers, so it may not matter as much to them/you.

OF course I see the other side too, where without team protection you may be spreading the wealth around. However in real life, the really experienced pilots are not being asked or at least not available all that much for the newer guys. I know many of those long time fliers will disagree, but that's the way I see it.

How many times in my 10 contests have I asked and had a top 10 type pilot to time for me, ? Twice !, then again I'm a shy guy. Granted Bruce and Gerald did agree. Thanks. Could be though that if I would work at getting some top Pilots to time for me, my performance would improve.

Don't get me wrong here, I believe when pilots can, they will time for you. I just really like not having to ask.

I'm good with whatever you guys want to do.

BTY Kyle, you need to work on your spelling. That's Rereamed not Redeemed. As I remember you just ran out of Airplanes. Wish I would have/could have helped.

walt
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Old Jun 15, 2011, 03:32 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
I am planning to attend since I found my way into the sky again. If somebody teams up with me they should get some sympathy points !!!!!!

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:32 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
I prefer no teams only because it allows everyone the possibility to fly against everyone so the guys who make it to the flyoffs have been tested against all comers.

I know, it is only one pilot but with the BASS and MARKS having their first and second place winners both having perfect scores and only the dropped round is what decided the victor, it would be nice having everyone fly against everyone at least once. The one time that team members fly against each other may be the the one that makes all the difference.

At a contest like this, there are so many great timers that I think it might be hard not to find a great replacement for someone you normally fly with. Besides, if you are trully a top pilot, should you be able to team up with anyone? Your normal teammate may not be able to attend a world contest should you make a US or other team.

Either way, I am hording pesos and vacation time in hopes of being there again this year. Really had a great time there last year - eventhough I was fighting Bronchitis and medicated throughout the contest.

Great club with great volunteers - great pilots in attendance - great field all results in a great time!!

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:40 AM
Stangely Spinning in a Circle
Salisbury, MD
Joined Sep 2002
566 Posts
I plan to attend. Now to start the work hiding plans.

Chris
Griphon is offline Find More Posts by Griphon
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:48 AM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,434 Posts
I Wanna Be In

Count me as a probable; will need to get closer to the date to be sure, but I've put the date in INK on my calendar.
Dave Runyon
Launch-1 is offline Find More Posts by Launch-1
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:53 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,267 Posts
Before I finalize and publish the registration entry form, I need to decide what to do about the teams. I am leaning towards no team protection. But I still would like to have teams just for fun - team competition! We can announce team results and maybe even have a trophy for the best team. What do y'all think? 2 or 3 pilots in a team?

We are also planning to offer T-shirts at $10 extra to the entry fee.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:06 AM
Stangely Spinning in a Circle
Salisbury, MD
Joined Sep 2002
566 Posts
I'd try teams, if anyone needed a partner.

Chris
Griphon is offline Find More Posts by Griphon
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:48 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
How's about RANDOM teams if there will not be team protection!
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:55 AM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,165 Posts
I like the random team idea and I am definately planning on coming!! My first contest after my move!

James
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:35 AM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
I am torn on teams. There has been a conversation about generating flight groups and how to make sure they are variable enough to truly test pilots against each other fairly in prelims. If team protection is added back in, the individual nature of the contest is impacted, right?

On the other hand, teams can be fun. We did not have team protection, but at the JEM this year there was an underlying team event. East vs.West vs. NWest vs. Midwest. I think a rematch of that would be fun. (How may west coasters are going to come out and play? )
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:37 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,136 Posts
I vote NO team protection.
just because.

Jun
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats