HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ChrisWNY, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:32 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Build Log
NitroPlanes Airfield T-28 - Build Summary

So a couple of weeks ago I was sold on a new Airfield model available through NitroPlanes.com - a T-28 Trojan, Silver "USAF" paint scheme. This model is the same as the "FMS" version, Airfield is really re-branded "FMS" made specifically for NitroPlanes. I decided to go for the "kit-only" version as I had a lot of 9g analog and 17g digital servos on-hand from HobbyKing, as well as a nice 400Kv 50mm x 55mm motor, brand new sitting in a box that was begging to be used to drive a ~0.40 sized scale model.

Here is the product link for the kit-only version of the (silver) T-28:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a328-14...ilver-kit.html

This particular airframe caught my eye for a couple of reasons: (A) It's size (1400mm/55" wing span) as well as sharp scale appearance, and (B) the kit-only version included the E-Retracts and LED's built-into the fuse, so I didn't have to worry about having to buy these items separately. Additionally, I bailed out of Nitro-gas powered planes this year, selling off the last Nitro-powered plane that I owned about a month ago (a P-51D Mustang), so I wanted another larger-sized warbird to replace the P-51D. I also happen to own a couple of dozen 3S 2200-2600mAh LiPo's, and using that 5055 400Kv motor, I had a good potential airframe for 6S, which allows me to Y-harness those 3S packs in series, I'm all about standardizing where possible.

Here is an overview of the electronics I used (which I already had on-hand in my parts stash) to build this T-28:
Motor: EMP 5055 400Kv brushless outrunner from OKHobby
Prop: Master Airscrew 14x7" 3-blade prop
ESC: Castle Phoenix 60A (non-ICE version)
UBEC: Turnigy 3A-5A switching UBEC from HobbyKing
Servos: 12 required! I used 6 D-MG16 Mini Digitals: 2 for wing flaps, 2 for ailerons, 1 for rudder, 1 for elevator. For the non-control surfaces (gear door hatches and cowl flaps), I used HXT900 9g analogs, which are quite reliable and a great bargain at less than $3 each from HobbyKing. 2 for left/right landing gear door hatches, 2 for the cowl flaps, 1 for steering the nose wheel (same direction as rudder), and 1 for the front gear door hatch.
Rx: Spektrum AR6100E
Additional parts needed: 2 reversing Y-harnesses for the cowl flaps and left/right landing gear doors. However, you can get around the need for a reversed Y-harness by mounting the servo's in the opposite orientation, but I used the stock mounts provided, therefore requiring reversing Y-harnesses ($8 each at my LHS). I also used some Dubro mini-EZ links to replace z-bend control rods in areas where the actual Z-bend would bind, EZ-links are a better alternative in that case.
Rather than type an essay about the build, I shot some video where I discussed the build summary while filming the plane in action inside the hangar:

NitroPlanes Airfield T-28 1400mm Build Overview - Kit Only version (9 min 27 sec)
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Last edited by ChrisWNY; Jun 15, 2011 at 07:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:36 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Airfield T-28 from NitroPlanes - Maiden Flight Video

Whenever you post a build log of some sort, people want to see the maiden flight video, so here it is:

Airfield T-28 1400mm Maiden Flight (2 min 55 sec)

What a great-flying airframe, it flies as light as well as smoothly/easily as the PZ T-28, it's a gentle flier even on 6S with 1100-1200W or so going through the motor on a 6S LiPo pack. A definite winner for an airframe, the AF T-28 is surely the "fanciest" most scale plane that I have in the hangar at this point.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:29 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,669 Posts
Congrats! Looks like a lot of fun!
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:57 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
T-28 after 2 coats of Minwax Polycrylic Clear Gloss

This isn't the first time I've used Minwax Polycrylic Clear Gloss (water-based) to add a nice shiny finish to a foam airplane, I have used it many times to really enhance the appearance and bring out the colors of EPO/EPS/Elapor airframes. Since this finish is water-based, it won't harm foam and clean-up is easy, just use water. I brushed on 2 coats, allowing for a full day of dry time between the coats. Polycrylic hardens over time and will actually protect the paint basecoat from minor scratches and abrasions.

The T-28 has such a nice paint job that it was a no-brainer to brush on some water-based Polycrylic to further enhance those colors. I snapped a bunch of photos, the shiny finish adds to the T-28's sharp scale appearance.
Last edited by ChrisWNY; Jun 25, 2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 11:48 PM
T-28 abuser
United States, NY, New Paltz
Joined May 2009
355 Posts
Does the clear coat increase the weight at all?
bigstatik is offline Find More Posts by bigstatik
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:53 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Whatever weight it adds is negligible (not noticeable whatsoever), I would estimate perhaps 1/2-1 oz. of weight added, if that.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 02:27 PM
T-28 abuser
United States, NY, New Paltz
Joined May 2009
355 Posts
Ok cool.
bigstatik is offline Find More Posts by bigstatik
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:27 AM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
1,002 Posts
Hey chris
would the stock FMS/airfield prop adapter bolt on that motor?
celm is offline Find More Posts by celm
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:06 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
celm - not without some modification. The stock prop was designed to bolt onto a smaller prop shaft. The other drawback of using the stock prop is that a 13x9" prop may spin a bit too fast on a 400Kv motor running on 6S. The Master Airscrew 3-blade 14x7" and 14x9" fit the 8mm motor shaft like a glove.