HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2012, 01:14 AM
"We're in the pipe, 5 by 5"
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
Fixed the damage. Took less than an hour to glue things back together. Also made a new servo tray out of 3mm depron, for the elevator servo. Should act as a cushion in the next crash.

As I'm planning the next version, do you think the main wing would stay in place with just a magnet connection, instead of the nylon bolt? This would simplify the battery swap quite a bit. Or should I make the top front fuse removable for this purpose? The cowling is in place with two of those little circular 4x3mm magnets and in the last crash it just stayed there. Pretty strong little buggers.
Lupus78 is offline Find More Posts by Lupus78
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 01:41 AM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
A wing is definitely heavier than a cowling. If you donattatch the wing with magnets, it would be a good idea to have a failsafe. Something like a little tab that pivots into place (like the lock on a drawer) would do.
numanair is offline Find More Posts by numanair
Old May 22, 2012, 06:37 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Hi Lupus78, glad to see your persisting with this airframe. I found this thread way back when and marveled at the intricacy of the resulting parts.

I'd been looking at 3D printing to make less complicated plastic components in small quantities (100's) rather than going to the expense of making a tool for injection moulding but alas the costs didnt weigh up and printing proved to be too expensive. But I'm sure prices are dropping all the time as machines become faster and the technology becomes more widespread. I look forward to your progress.

I noticed you got a few column inches in the April edition of the Model Aviation magazine in recognition of your genius! Brilliant stuff - keep it up.

Jon
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old May 23, 2012, 01:20 AM
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
Sorry that this has taken so long. I just haven't paid much attention to any RC stuff during the winter. And too many other hobbies I guess, and a lovely family to feed, on top of that. But enough of excuses... I'm now back on track.

Just weighted the plane after my fixes and the new elevator servo tray. Luckily the repairs added only 1g to it's weight. As it's over 100g empty, that doesn't matter much. Good thing about repairs with this plane, is that usually all broken joints are easily repaired with just a little drop of glue (I've used epoxy as they are usually high stress points that have broken). And it's easy to reinforce with small pieces of depron, glued inside the fuse, while adding very little weight.

I think 3d printing is at it's best when doing complicated small detail parts that are hard or even impossible to do by hand. And my Hellcat project is an experiment if I can actually make a flying plane airframe by 3d printing. I think I have proven that already, that it's possible. Now it's only matter of finding the right balance so that it would fly without losing control. The weight of the plane is equal to most same size Guillows conversions, the controls work, frame is solid enough and it can take real beating without breaking.

I guess I could have chosen an easier plane as the subject, but I like a little challenge... This ain't the easiest model even as traditional conversion. And I have actually zero previous experience in this kind of models, only in bigger ones (like the Hyperion P-51D 25e, which is 1,7kg 120cm wingspan model). But I'm confident it will fly just fine. Last time I could already see that it can actually fly. The (very) short while that I had control over the plane, it seemed a real fun little "sky rocket".

PS. I heard of the Model Aviation article when they asked if they could use my pictures in the article. I was quite honored to be featured in a magazine. Could someone by the way scan the article and send it to me? PM me if you can. (Haven't seen it myself.)

EDIT: Thanks, got the article!
Last edited by Lupus78; May 23, 2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old May 23, 2012, 01:46 AM
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
524 Posts
Great that your project is back on track again Lupus, and especially to hear that the Hellcat has taken to the air. Many of us have been waiting for the thread to reappear. Good luck with your modifications and future flights.
Peter Mack is offline Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Old May 24, 2012, 03:18 AM
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
I'm wondering if I would do the tail feathers out of depron for the next model, both to save weight and money. They are such a simple parts that there's very little point in them being 3d modeled. And it seems Shapeways has raised their prices and do not include the shipping in their basic prices, which raises the overall total.

And losing weight from the tail would reduce the need for heavy weight on the nose. This way overall weight will drop considerably.
Last edited by Lupus78; May 24, 2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:41 AM
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
Ouch. I think I've smashed the version 1. Rest in Pieces. You've taught me so much.

I could probably fix the V1, as the main wing is intact. The fuse shattered from the contact points. The wing hit on the ground tip first and teared off. The fuselage might be repairable, but I think I'll just order the complete version 2, to get a clean start.
Old May 25, 2012, 01:17 PM
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
822 Posts
Alas, poor Hellcat! I knew him, Horatio, a model of infinite
potential, of most excellent fancy. He hath inspired my imagination a
thousand times, and now how abhorr'd in my imagination it is!
My gorge rises at it.

My sympathies to you and apologizes to Shakespeare.

Onward!
gklein is online now Find More Posts by gklein
Old May 25, 2012, 01:46 PM
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
Actually, the damage is not as severe as I had feared. The wing is intact and the rear parts of the fuselage are also. So maybe it will be flightworthy once more. But I might concentrate my efforts onto V2 and other rc projects of mine.
Old May 26, 2012, 06:08 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Did you get video of any flights Lupus? It would be nice to see it in the air before it's retirement.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:33 PM
I make planes I want to fly
Southern Cal.
Joined Mar 2004
552 Posts
Hey Lupus, VERY nice job! I was just pointed here by a friend, as I've been working on my own 3D-printed plane project. I wouldn't call my project micro, but I wanted to get some info from you on what thicknesses you modeled your parts at. Did you use their minimum 0.7mm everywhere? I see that you used CF parts for added stiffness, which certainly makes sense given your scale.

I'd love your feedback on how WSF performed and the thicknesses you used! I'm almost ready to order my design for myself, but if I can reduce some thicknesses and save volume/cost, I certainly want to squeeze as much out of it as possible!
Mid7night is online now Find More Posts by Mid7night
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:13 AM
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
Hi, my plane has been shelved for a while, until I have time to order a new fuse. (Good thing about 3d printing is that I don't have to order whole plane, just parts.) I'm planning on doing the tail feathers out of depron, as they're even easier to do that way and would be lighter. I need to get the plane more nose heavy, if I want it to fly properly.

About the thickness, 0.7mm is way too thin for stringers. For curved surfaces thicknesses 0.7 to 1mm should work fine and is very robust. For the next fuse I'm doing the thin stringers out of 1mm carbon fiber rods.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:38 AM
I make planes I want to fly
Southern Cal.
Joined Mar 2004
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus78 View Post
Hi, my plane has been shelved for a while, until I have time to order a new fuse. (Good thing about 3d printing is that I don't have to order whole plane, just parts.) I'm planning on doing the tail feathers out of depron, as they're even easier to do that way and would be lighter. I need to get the plane more nose heavy, if I want it to fly properly.

About the thickness, 0.7mm is way too thin for stringers. For curved surfaces thicknesses 0.7 to 1mm should work fine and is very robust. For the next fuse I'm doing the thin stringers out of 1mm carbon fiber rods.
Thanks for the info. I can definitely see how 0.7mm would be too thin for unsupported stringers, but for the most part I've got a skin and spar/rib arrangement, so I should be good with using min-thickness pretty much everywhere.

Hope you get it back together soon, that Hellcat looked like fun!
Mid7night is online now Find More Posts by Mid7night
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
hi lupus78,
sent you recently a private mail, got no answer from you...... could you check ?

thanks, rkiva
rkiva is offline Find More Posts by rkiva
Old Jul 16, 2014, 03:56 AM
Joined Jul 2014
1 Posts
Hey guys!
I recently found a brand new 3D printer on the market which is way, WAAAAY cheaper than the other machines out there, these guys even made a little quad copter casis (shown in the vid) which actually took off!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/craftbot-3d-printer

Thought you guys might be interested. ^^
BusilAkdug is offline Find More Posts by BusilAkdug