HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:48 PM
United States, CA, Pomona
Joined Mar 2008
80 Posts
Discussion
Simple question

Ok guys, I recently purchased the 1400mm P-47 through Nitroplanes, well getting it to me was a problem in itself (another story for another time), however, I've flown this thing ONE time and the next time I took it out, my tail wheel servo was shot. Well, it appears that some genious designers decided to GLUE the god dam servos in. Are they SERIOUS?! Who the hell GLUES SERVOS!? My question is (well I suppose it's two questions)... First, how the hell is one supposed to replace a bad servo if they're glued in? Second, maybe I'm the stupid one or am I missing something? It seems to me I'm going to have to carve the damn thing out and redesign my own mount for it... Any input would be appreciated

I still can't believe people are gluing their servos, what a joke. Is this an electric thing only, because I grew up building scratch kits and we NEVER GLUED servos. It is one of the most stupid design flaws i've encountered in the RC world...
jmscott31 is offline Find More Posts by jmscott31
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:56 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,260 Posts
If it's a foam model, glueing servos is the normal accepted practice.
tlh101 is online now Find More Posts by tlh101
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:10 PM
Joined Mar 2008
80 Posts
It's absolutely the most retarded form of mounting a servo that exists, foam or no foam! There is no need to glue your servos in to place. All that needs to be done is a simple piece of recessed ply securely epoxied in to place, then simply drill your servos in to the ply. I'm perfectly aware of what I need to do to correct it, but i'm just baffled by the absolute lack of knowledge these designers must have... it's just weird to me and i'm trying to figure if I'm just missing a piece of the puzzle... LOL
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:17 PM
Huge member!
Pawtucket R.I.
Joined May 2008
479 Posts
They use silicone glue,just slide a razor knife along the sides and it should pop right up with a bit of prodding. Ive pulled tons of them out without any problems.Try it youll like it . Brutus
BRUTUS2238 is offline Find More Posts by BRUTUS2238
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:29 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh101 View Post
If it's a foam model, glueing servos is the normal accepted practice.
Yep, jm, gluing them in is for the most part standard procedure though I've come on some (Phase 3 & Escale for instance...) that use screws. ParkZone glues them in too, at least in some models.
gnats82 is online now Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:20 PM
Joined Dec 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscott31 View Post
Ok guys, I recently purchased the 1400mm P-47 through Nitroplanes, well getting it to me was a problem in itself (another story for another time), however, I've flown this thing ONE time and the next time I took it out, my tail wheel servo was shot. Well, it appears that some genious designers decided to GLUE the god dam servos in. Are they SERIOUS?! Who the hell GLUES SERVOS!? My question is (well I suppose it's two questions)... First, how the hell is one supposed to replace a bad servo if they're glued in? Second, maybe I'm the stupid one or am I missing something? It seems to me I'm going to have to carve the damn thing out and redesign my own mount for it... Any input would be appreciated

I still can't believe people are gluing their servos, what a joke. Is this an electric thing only, because I grew up building scratch kits and we NEVER GLUED servos. It is one of the most stupid design flaws i've encountered in the RC world...
My way is the only way! God I am so tired of the people in this hobby who want to live in the past. Main reason I don't join a club and the main reason why it took me so long to get into this hobby. I got tired of the "you have to do it this way because this is the way I did it when I learned" attitude. Thank God for "cheap" foamies from China so I can do it the way I want to, when I want to, and where I want to, at much less the cost than "back in the day"!
FoamieFlier is offline Find More Posts by FoamieFlier
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:39 PM
Joined May 2009
364 Posts
Quote:
All that needs to be done is a simple piece of recessed ply securely epoxied in to place, then simply drill your servos in to the ply.
Hmmm... From a manufacturer's point of view:
1) Procure wood.
2) Cut wood.
3) Install wood with glue.
4) Drill wood.
5) Procure screws.
6) Install servo.
7) Install two screws in servo.
Repeat process for a minimum of 4 servos per model.

OR:
Simply install all of the servos with glue, which works well for millions of end-users of the product.

Quote:
... it's just weird to me and i'm trying to figure if I'm just missing a piece of the puzzle... LOL
You certainly seem to be: The cost effectiveness and simplicity of installing servos with glue.

D
69SuperBee is offline Find More Posts by 69SuperBee
Last edited by 69SuperBee; Jun 14, 2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:41 PM
Joined May 2009
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamieFlier View Post
My way is the only way! God I am so tired of the people in this hobby who want to live in the past. Main reason I don't join a club and the main reason why it took me so long to get into this hobby. I got tired of the "you have to do it this way because this is the way I did it when I learned" attitude. Thank God for "cheap" foamies from China so I can do it the way I want to, when I want to, and where I want to, at much less the cost than "back in the day"!
Well put!

But, keep in mind that they've accepted the hobby shop brain washing for so long that they just don't know any better - and probably never will...

D
69SuperBee is offline Find More Posts by 69SuperBee
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:35 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Don't forget, you CAN'T fly warbirds faster than scale. They will lock you up for that. Oh, if you fly a warbird, you are not supposed to fly EDF's. It's simply the RULE! Abide by it! OBEY!
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Jun 15, 2011, 01:14 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,367 Posts
JM , dont know if you found a solution and I dont belong to a club , a hobby company or a hobby shop but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night .
Ok , if you have glued your tail in and have no way of getting to the servo that steers the tail wheel I may have a simple solution for you . Simply add a control horn to the tail wheel leg where it meets the fuse, then add a small rod to the rudder .THis will obviously tie the tail wheel to the rudder steering . Its a shame with FMS but the tail wheels seem to be a bone of contention with me .I Flew my modified small hellcat the other day , with many mods , the one thing I left stock was my tail wheel .After a very successful maiden , my second flight veered left on take off (on the ground ) despite my experienced knowledge and right rudder feed . Sure enought the tail wheel locked in left , broke my home made legs and retracts !!!! So keep an eye on the tail wheel , otheriwise like others have noted , these planes are great , fun and allow flying warbird without a huge investment in time and withoutt joining a club .
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:33 AM
Norway, Akershus, Frogner
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
usualy the glue is a very soft glue and easy to cut loose. As others pointet out, allot easier then wood and screws and stuff.
I myself use a drop of Hotglue. That way it is still easy to pull out when the servo's need a change.
Coenraad is offline Find More Posts by Coenraad
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:16 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,812 Posts
Quote:
FoamieFlier -

Yes, change can be a bear for us sometimes but you're maybe too quick to "dis" those of us with experience. "Back in the day", there were NO electrics, practically speaking, and servos were installed on grommets to reduce the wear and tear from the vibration of piston engines. A good installation might help a servo to go a whole season without replacement or repair. Also, servos were serviceable - a user could, and usually at some point needed to, replace the potentiometers at intervals as the servos would get unsteady and chatter after a while.

Servos weren't "throw aways", much as they are now from the mass foamie suppliers. A good mini (20 gram weight or so) was between $20 and $30 and we didn't see them as quite so expendable as today.

As for what I see on tailwheel installs, some mgftrs. are putting in too light a unit for the stresses that these little guys meet.

Good practices made/make for dependable airplanes. Flying habits are something else again...Ha!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:55 AM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,813 Posts
Quote:
There is no need to glue your servos in to place. All that needs to be done is a simple piece of recessed ply securely epoxied in to place, then simply drill your servos in to the ply.
So you're still basiclly glueing the servo in place.....
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:30 AM
Joined Mar 2008
80 Posts
LOL, some of you people have issues... I come from a world of common sense, not ignorance Anyway, it's not a big deal, I'll just have to deal with the fact that foam basically sucks (at least thats what I get from most of the responses), but it is cheap. One rarely gets the best of both worlds anyway. As for you folks with the "intelligent responses"... Thank you. As for a solution, I solved it myself and simply created some nice screw in mounts that work beautifully.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:23 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,812 Posts
Hey, JM. Good deal that you're on to the solution.

To clarify something though, I really like the foam planes. Some of the processes might suck, as you put it, but that's just the nature of their manufacturing approach.

The quality of foam makes these planes easier to repair and modify. Check out Tom Hunt's build threads on his Mustang and Me 109 (originally FMS foam planes). I've used foam for scratch building and it brings some fresh aspects.