SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:39 PM
Garfield is my Pilot
Joined May 2011
201 Posts
Discussion
How do you transport your plane

I am fairly new to this, been flying Heli's, and haven't had to truck a plane since the 80's, and it was small enough to fit in my trunk with the wings still attached. I now have an Eflite T-34, and a Flex, not enough room to transport it with the wings on, or store it at home for that matter. Wondering if there is a cradle I can get to store and transport it with. Something that can hold the wing and body safely. I haven't flown it yet and its getting hanger rash from being moved around in the closet.
acdii is offline Find More Posts by acdii
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:17 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
just wrap a towel or sheet around the wing and fuse. End of hangar rash.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:26 PM
Georgetown IN
Joined Jul 2010
1,046 Posts
Name: P47 1.jpg
Views: 144
Size: 77.1 KB
Description:

You think you got problems?
10AE is offline Find More Posts by 10AE
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:30 PM
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Feb 2010
429 Posts
The truck i use has a camper shell with a lip so i clamped some 2x4's across and lay some planes above and then lay some below.
paintballer987 is offline Find More Posts by paintballer987
Old Jun 15, 2011, 01:22 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,385 Posts
This is what I do , go to a home supply store , you can buy and have them the cut the foam at the store so you can get it home .BUy one lagrget sheet of the thick blue foam , if you dont have one get a cheap saw , dose not have to be good , but the smaller finish saws work great .Now when you get this foam home , you can use use your imgination to make and cut wing cradles , fuse cradles , simple U cuts , and make some slots into a base and you can get a very compact carrier , I make a ton even use them on my fuel birds . Get some gorilla glue as it will hold and fill gaps in the carriers you make in the event you cut a slot to big .These blue foam carriers have never hurt my planes like the store bought cradles
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:48 AM
Norway, Akershus, Frogner
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
I used to pu the plane on it's back onto the backseat. With one wing down where the feet go and the otherone pointing towards the head rest. But now i just folded down the backseets so the plane can stand on the wheels.
Coenraad is offline Find More Posts by Coenraad
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:20 AM
Glendale, AZ, Sun and MORE sun... One Hobbies and The Nitro Pit Supporter
Joined Nov 2009
348 Posts
I made 3/4" PVC Racks i place in the back of my truck or honda Pilot

Can cary 6-8 planes in my truck, and 4-5 in my Pilot, all fully assembles, and in the Pilot... 3 are FMS 1400mm planes, PKZ P-47 and my easy star.....

works GREAt
Stavman is offline Find More Posts by Stavman
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:36 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,357 Posts
Where there is a will there's a way. My T-34 usually gets the wing removed for transport to the field. Unless it's the only thing I'm taking, or it and a PZ foamy. If I pull the wing on it I can get it and my HK B-17 in the car without taking the B-17 apart. Or the Rhapsody and the cub both assembled also fit sitting in build cradles. Plan on taking 10 or 11 to the field Saturday so the utility trailer is getting put to use for this event. We do have a guy at the club that has a small car and large planes though. You never know what or how many he's going to pull out when he gets to the field.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Jun 16, 2011, 04:54 PM
Garfield is my Pilot
Joined May 2011
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
This is what I do , go to a home supply store , you can buy and have them the cut the foam at the store so you can get it home .BUy one lagrget sheet of the thick blue foam , if you dont have one get a cheap saw , dose not have to be good , but the smaller finish saws work great .Now when you get this foam home , you can use use your imgination to make and cut wing cradles , fuse cradles , simple U cuts , and make some slots into a base and you can get a very compact carrier , I make a ton even use them on my fuel birds . Get some gorilla glue as it will hold and fill gaps in the carriers you make in the event you cut a slot to big .These blue foam carriers have never hurt my planes like the store bought cradles
This is what I had come up with myself, just wasn't sure how to glue it together. Since I may take either my Fusion or my Flex, it would have to either go in the trunk, or next to my daughters car seat in the Flex, I need to make it so it takes up as little room as possible, yet keep the plane safe, and so that I can also use it to store the plane in the house. The foam can also be roughed up on the bottom so it sticks to the carpet or seat back and not slide. Now that I know I can use Gorilla glue, which is what I was hoping for, wasn't sure if it attacked the foam, now I can get a sheet of it and build me a cradle.
acdii is offline Find More Posts by acdii
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:23 PM
USA, IL, Oak Lawn
Joined Apr 2007
1,466 Posts
I use a 03 civic 2 door and fold the back seats down. I fit 1 .60 and .50 plane with out issue and flightbox, tent and chair go in front seat.
Thrawn150 is offline Find More Posts by Thrawn150
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ElectriStar and me
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:53 PM
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Apr 2011
215 Posts
Here is how i carry my planes around!!!

Name: IMG_0668.jpg
Views: 202
Size: 272.6 KB
Description: