HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:27 AM
Joined Jun 2011
246 Posts
Discussion
Dumas Chris Craft 1230 kit contents. (1930 24' )

Hi All,
This is my first post and while I've been modelling for about 50 years I think I have bitten off more than I can chew when I received the Dumas 1230 kit today.
The kit was pre-owned but still original and a quick check of contents indicates the chrome break-water and aluminium trim are not included.

My question is - are these parts actually missing or are they optional extras to be purchased as part of a fitting kit?
The box includes 4 sheets of (about 3/4 size) plans but no assembly guide - is this correct? I think I can cope but don't want to make it harder than needed.
I would appreciate any advice from others who have made this model.

I fell in love with this Chris Craft after restoring a similar old boat I bought second hand in bad repair. It's glue was all powdery and every time I picked it up something would come off in my hand. It never had a motor in it but did have a crude drive shaft. After several months of wet sanding lead based paint it is now restored and runs rather nicely. It's 4 foot long and somewhat beamy but Ken and the Barbie twins enjoy the outing.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Blythebo.../1/1qoed4Yx2lw

Cheers,
David
KiwiDavid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiDavid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:26 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,134 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Contact Dumas, they are very helpful.

http://www.dumasproducts.com/
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:13 AM
Joined Jun 2011
246 Posts
Hello woodybob,
Thanks for the link.
I will feel a tad ripped off by the seller if indeed the assembly instructions and the larger metal trim parts are missing but I'll seek confirmation that they are supplied first.

Cheers,
David
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:08 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,842 Posts
KiwiDavid- I think the aluminum trim you are talking about is adhesive backed aluminum tape that they use for air conditioning ducts. You can pick a roll of that tape at any Home Depot or Lowes home center.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:42 PM
Joined Jun 2011
246 Posts
Hi frankg,
That should work fine. Do you know if the cutwater on the bow is done with adhesive tape or is this a pressed metal part?

I am looking forward to building it but assembly instructions are now my main priority now that you sorted the trim problem. Hopefully Dumas can help me there.
If my boat runs like yours I would be very happy.

Cheers,
David
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:04 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,842 Posts
KiwiDavid- The cutwater is made with the adhesive back aluminum tape. So are the transom trim strips that run from the shear to the chine.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:45 AM
Joined May 2010
18 Posts
This is how the Dumas cutwater tape goes together

russellalt is offline Find More Posts by russellalt
Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:14 AM
Joined Jun 2011
246 Posts
Hello russellalt and others,
Many thanks for the great link. The cutwater is not such a drama now and I can probably source similar material locally. NZ is like one of the outer planets for some things.
I really appreciate the time you have all taken to help me overcome the shortfall in my pre-owned kit.
It's just the decals and more importantly the step by step guide that I now need. Perhaps the Al foil, instructions and decals were all in a sealed bag at one time and were lost by the original owner. Anyway, I have contacted Dumas but they have had a few web problems the last couple of days so I'll give it a bit longer.

Thanks again to all,
David
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:07 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
David I am going to be making some decals in the next week or so LMK what you need I might be able to include some for you as well....
RussellTate is offline Find More Posts by RussellTate
Old Jun 17, 2011, 08:09 AM
Joined Jun 2011
246 Posts
Hello Russell,
Many thanks for the kind offer. I've tentatively asked Dumas for a decal sheet, assembly manual and Al foil trim but they may not be available as separate items for purchase.
Until I get the manual I really don't know what I'm up against.
If I draw a blank I'll take you up on the offer.
BTW - interesting website. Who would think such unique services existed?

Thanks again,
David
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:46 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,134 Posts
Hope this helps...
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Jun 19, 2011, 06:36 AM
Joined Jun 2011
246 Posts
Hello woodybob,
What can I say? That's very much appreciated.
I'm still trying to arrange the instructions from Dumas along with the missing decal sheet and Al foil trim but I can't see how to request these special items. The website is geared for clicking on preset items. Will try them again this coming week.

I had all the bulkheads, keel, chine and deck stringers pressed together to get the idea of the shape of the boat. It was sorely tempting to glue it also but I had reasoned not to do this in case I got the assembly out of sequence and couldn't fit something later. Now, thanks to you, I can get underway. Decals and trim are amongst the last things I need.

What is it about wooden boats? I still have a cabin cruiser I built when I was 13 - it's now 50 years old! It's gone from a free-running, water cooled diesel to an RC electric powered boat in that time and I still love it.

Thanks again - you have made my week.

Best regards,
David
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:56 AM
United States, MN, Waseca
Joined Jan 2011
145 Posts
David; you will find that Dumas is going to get an arm and a leg for those parts.
I used Callie graphics for mine much better and tape from the hardware store. You can buy more than one roll for what Dumas will charge you for the fenders and cutwater.
twalther is offline Find More Posts by twalther
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:53 AM
Joined Jun 2011
246 Posts
Hi twalther,
Thanks for the advice. I need to check out the local hardware for Al foil tape. Even though we are at the bottom of the world I'm sure we have something similar here.
It would be nice to tart up the big boat shown in the link above. It's a bit bland and I suspect it would be difficult to get deck fittings for a model this size (4'). If anyone knows otherwise I'd be pleased to hear.

Cheers,
David
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:25 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
Maybe a auto parts store.

http://www.amazon.com/Chroma-Graphic.../dp/B000CFFEWW
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME