SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:08 PM
Joined May 2005
829 Posts
Question
How much runway do I need?

I'm considering making a nice runway on some land I have. Most likely it will just be grass, mowed short and rolled flat. Most of my planes are park flyers, but I have one 25-size electric plane that needs a fair bit of roll-out on landing. Also my 40-sized glow plane uses quite a bit of runway. So my question is, for larger planes in general (40-size and up), how much runway is typically needed? On this same piece of ground I had a rough runway that was about 250 feet long, and that seemed to be just barely adequate for my 40-sized plane which needs a lot of roll-out space as well.

I have room to go up to 400 feet long. That's overkill for most of my planes, but some day if I try getting into bigger models, like say 1/4 scale (say a piper cub, not a fast pattern ship), how much is needed? What is the average runway length at a model field?
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:11 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,507 Posts
400 isnt bad we have a 300 foot asphalt runway were i fly at with another 200 of over run on ether side

id say 400 with 100 over run ether side of slight taller grass
Elios000 is online now Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:29 PM
Joined May 2005
829 Posts
That's what I'm thinking as well. I'll probably make another runway the crosses the main runway at a certain angle and that one will only have room for about 300 foot, plus some overrun (a field is next to it). Eventually I might put down some of that road construction fabric for a surface. Soft enough for park flyers that belly land, but firm enough for the wheeled airplanes. Or I might just scrape the grass off or till it, pack it down good, and then add some sterilizer to the dirt to keep things from growing on it. Grass runways don't really work for park flyers with wheels smaller than 3 inch wheels, from my experience.

I found a model airport on Google Earth and measured it's runways at 500 and 400 feet long.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:30 PM
just look at it smokin'
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
i think you need a runway that is enough to land

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runway
A runway of at least 6,000 ft (1,800 m) in length is usually adequate for aircraft weights below approximately 200,000 lb (90,000 kg). Larger aircraft including widebodies will usually require at least 8,000 ft (2,400 m) at sea level and somewhat more at higher altitude airports. International widebody flights, which carry substantial amounts of fuel and are therefore heavier, may also have landing requirements of 10,000 ft (3,000 m) or more and takeoff requirements of 13,000 ft (4,000 m)+.
z-matrix is offline Find More Posts by z-matrix
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:41 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,507 Posts
also to some homework be for you start find out were the winds come from most of the time so dont have as much cross wind days
if you use any thing other then grass you will need to mark an X on each end as well so you dont have random aircraft try to land on it

and it has happend were i fly even with the X's that 400' looks a lot longer in the air
Real Piper Cub Buzzes Springfield RC Club Runway (0 min 53 sec)
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:59 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,063 Posts
For a grass runway, 400x100 will take care of just about any size model, my last club had a mowed patch of that size and there were even a couple turbines that one member flew off of it.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:27 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
For my smallish electrics ( My biggest Electric is a power 46 eflight on a Toledo special ) I find its not so much a thing of actual runway length as it is of having unobstructed flight area leading up to and away from the runway . If youve got lots of really tall trees , you need a longer runway . Less obstructions in the flight path will allow somewhat shorter runway length .

Of course , , flying style has alot to do with this as well . Ive got a couple of scale like parkies , and they need scale like runway distance ( Course , maybe not QUITE as much as discussed in post #4 , , but close ) . Then , ive got some parkflyers that are so overpowered that they will take off in about a foot and a half .

If youve got the available land , make the biggest runway that your lawnmowing time allows ..................
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:48 AM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
My club has a strip about 500ft. On a windy day I only need about 10ft, but on a still day I find I need a bit more.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:10 PM
Joined May 2005
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-matrix View Post
i think you need a runway that is enough to land

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runway
A runway of at least 6,000 ft (1,800 m) in length is usually adequate for aircraft weights below approximately 200,000 lb (90,000 kg). Larger aircraft including widebodies will usually require at least 8,000 ft (2,400 m) at sea level and somewhat more at higher altitude airports. International widebody flights, which carry substantial amounts of fuel and are therefore heavier, may also have landing requirements of 10,000 ft (3,000 m) or more and takeoff requirements of 13,000 ft (4,000 m)+.
Right. I may move up to wide bodies in the future, but for now I'm sticking to extremely narrow bodies with a slightly lower gross weight.

Of course the real reason I'm asking is because I really don't know how much room a 1/4 scale model needs to roll out. For real aircraft, on a landing the length of the runway needed is usually smaller than takeoff because of the weight difference. I've also noticed on youtube videos that takeoffs of large-scale planes (scale takeoffs anyway) typically use up more runway than landing. Like the 2/3 scale cub I saw the other day.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:15 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,507 Posts
well a full scale cub can land an take off in 400'
most models up to 1/4 will be fine with about that
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:15 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Why not take your plane to a club or a dirt road in the middle of nowhere and find out how much room you need? Instead of guessing, you could know.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:59 PM
Joined May 2005
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Why not take your plane to a club or a dirt road in the middle of nowhere and find out how much room you need? Instead of guessing, you could know.
Well of course I already know how much runway my current planes need. I stated as such. My last runway (before it was overgrown and moles chewed it up) was 250' long as was adequate for my 40-size trainer (slightly aerobatic trainer... flies quite hot for a trainer). So 300 would be quite comfortable. I was asking because I simply don't know how much runway larger planes at the clubs use. Sounds like 400 would handle just about any plane.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:22 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
More is always better! We have at LEAST 1000' at our club, and about 100' wide. Since there was poor planning, we many times need to land on the bias or even across the rwy due to winds!
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:46 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih View Post
Well of course I already know how much runway my current planes need. I stated as such. My last runway (before it was overgrown and moles chewed it up) was 250' long as was adequate for my 40-size trainer (slightly aerobatic trainer... flies quite hot for a trainer). So 300 would be quite comfortable. I was asking because I simply don't know how much runway larger planes at the clubs use. Sounds like 400 would handle just about any plane.
That's kinda why I was suggesting to just go out there and try it. We have one 400-foot "Geotex" runway, and one 750-foot concrete runway, and there are some planes which I don't fly at the small field. I've never had any trouble with 40-size trainers at the short runway, but 40-size and bigger pattern and aerobatic planes are super uncomfortable there - if you land at the threshold it's usually ok, but easy to roll off the end (into the gopher holes). If you have trouble keeping the plane straight then takeoffs can be hairy too.

However, I don't know your flying style, and at a lower altitude it might be better - we fly fast here. So that's why I'm saying go and fly on a measured runway and find out.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:57 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,063 Posts
400 ft uncomfortable with a .40 sized trainer? That seems a little exaggerated... We had several giant telemasters (~160 sized, 12 ft wingspan if you are unfamiliar) at my last club, and that 400 ft never seemed to be a hinderance. Most models are in the air within 100-150 ft at maximum.

Also remember that non-grass runways result in longer rollouts and shorter takeoffs, kind of a catch 22.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat