HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:08 AM
Registered User
TripleW's Avatar
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Got a Taxi Test vid.
Maiden when good. Botched the landing and lost the water rudder. Good thing I don't need it.

Dynam Catalina taxi test (1 min 58 sec)
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:49 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Orion Pax's Avatar
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,297 Posts
Looks great TW. Did you do that with the AR7000 or did you do that with a 6 channel?
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:57 AM
Registered User
TripleW's Avatar
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
AR500 and a JR9503.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Last edited by TripleW; Aug 24, 2011 at 07:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:04 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Orion Pax's Avatar
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,297 Posts
Really! Mind sharing the setup info?
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:05 PM
Registered User
Danmark, Hovedstaden, Holte
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Have been looking around on the “net” for info on PBY´s, found page with erection manuale and user instruction on handling the real 1:1 PBY5/6 Canso.

Have made extract of erection manual on main features and dimensions, which give wing cord at root to 15 ft = 15 x 304.7994720 = 4,571.992 mm.

My DYNAM PBY 5A have wing cord at root of 223 mm, which give the RC model a scale of 4,571.99/223 = 20.50, assuming that DYNAM have been faithful to the proportions in the original CAT.

The erection manual also give overall length of float to 10 ft 3 7/8 in = 10 x 304.7994720 + 3.875 x 25.4 = 3,146.419 mm.

With scale 20.50 our floats should be 153.467 mm long.

I put one of PBY5 picks in the thread in my AutoCad program and generated a side view drawing of the float with the scale measure i mm based on that overall length of float is 153.5 mm.

If the PDF fil with the side view of the float is printed on paper size A4, one will have 1:1 size of float for the DYNAM PBY 5A for those who want to have a flying scale model.

Extract on float show that the sides on float are parallel with a minor rounding in transition into deck.

For Orion I have made extract of the original float retraction system.

Will return with more details on float configuration and position under wing, when I have found usable photos to extract non direct given dimensions.

HB
Grand Dad is offline Find More Posts by Grand Dad
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:16 PM
Registered User
TripleW's Avatar
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Really! Mind sharing the setup info?
I had help so I'll do my best. But it will have to be later. TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:39 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Orion Pax's Avatar
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,297 Posts
WOW Grand Dad! That is awesome. Thank you very much for this contribution.

TW, I look forward to what you have.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:47 PM
Registered User
Prowler901's Avatar
USA, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Jun 2007
1,230 Posts
Nice work TW. She's quite maneuverable on the water with that setup. Definitely no need for a water rudder.

Thanks for all those scans Grand Dad! Very helpful indeed.

Todd
Prowler901 is offline Find More Posts by Prowler901
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:48 PM
Registered User
TripleW's Avatar
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Rudder mix basics; JR9503 to a AR500. This is from my friend that helped me out. TW



Well this is what I did I think. I deleted the mix from my radio so I am going by memory. You should be able to look at yours to check it out. If you are going to pass this along be sure that it is understood it is for electric power. If it is to be used with engines the minus part of mix 3 & 4 should not be used or one or both engines will quit, usually at a bad time.

Keep in mind the goal was to use a JR X9303 or X9503 transmitter and an AR500 receiver. The AR500 only having 5 channels & channel 5 defaulting to the gear. If using a receiver with more channels the system menu set up could be different.

Steps: In the SYSTEM MENU.
1. In Device SEL inhibit the gear switch. Change ACT to INH below the GEAR/SW.
2. In Wing TYPE all the way to the left under “TWIN E.” next to “MATE” change the INH to GEAR. (GEAR will not be an option unless you have completed step one. Change INH next to “TRIM” to ACT.
Steps: In the “normal” menu.
1. IN “PROG. Mix3, mix RUDD to RTHR then in Pos0 adjust the values + 30% on top – 30% on the bottom. So that when the rudder is to the right it will slow the right engine & when the rudder is to the left it will increase the right engine. Also put this mix on a switch (gear or mix).
2. In “PROG. Mix4 mix RUDD to LTHR then in Pos0 adjust the values to – 30% on top +30% on the bottom. Also put this mix on the same switch as mix 3.
That is the way I remember it.
[/I][/I][/I]
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 03:11 PM
Registered User
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Dad View Post
My DYNAM PBY 5A have wing cord at root of 223 mm, which give the RC model a scale of 4,571.99/223 = 20.50, assuming that DYNAM have been faithful to the proportions in the original CAT.

HB
If you go by the wingspan (104 ft for acft, 58 in for model) the scale it 21.52, so it appears 21 would be a good compromise...Pete M
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 03:21 PM
Registered User
Danmark, Hovedstaden, Holte
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
Rudder mix basics; JR9503 to a AR500. This is from my friend that helped me out. TW



Well this is what I did I think. I deleted the mix from my radio so I am going by memory. You should be able to look at yours to check it out. If you are going to pass this along be sure that it is understood it is for electric power. If it is to be used with engines the minus part of mix 3 & 4 should not be used or one or both engines will quit, usually at a bad time.

Keep in mind the goal was to use a JR X9303 or X9503 transmitter and an AR500 receiver. The AR500 only having 5 channels & channel 5 defaulting to the gear. If using a receiver with more channels the system menu set up could be different.

Steps: In the SYSTEM MENU.
1. In Device SEL inhibit the gear switch. Change ACT to INH below the GEAR/SW.
2. In Wing TYPE all the way to the left under “TWIN E.” next to “MATE” change the INH to GEAR. (GEAR will not be an option unless you have completed step one. Change INH next to “TRIM” to ACT.
Steps: In the “normal” menu.
1. IN “PROG. Mix3, mix RUDD to RTHR then in Pos0 adjust the values + 30% on top – 30% on the bottom. So that when the rudder is to the right it will slow the right engine & when the rudder is to the left it will increase the right engine. Also put this mix on a switch (gear or mix).
2. In “PROG. Mix4 mix RUDD to LTHR then in Pos0 adjust the values to – 30% on top +30% on the bottom. Also put this mix on the same switch as mix 3.
That is the way I remember it.
[/I][/I][/I]
Thank your for instruction.

For a new Bee as me please give instruction on your connections in use of reciever channels and are ESC for Starbord and bagbord engine connected to the same channel on reciever or do you use a separate for each ESC.

In the later case which channels are used.

HB
Grand Dad is offline Find More Posts by Grand Dad
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 03:41 PM
Registered User
Danmark, Hovedstaden, Holte
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmisuinas View Post
If you go by the wingspan (104 ft for acft, 58 in for model) the scale it 21.52, so it appears 21 would be a good compromise...Pete M
Please bear in mind that the wingspan of 104 ft is inclusve floats raised to horisontal position and measure is the to keel to keel distance.

Our DYNAM model does not fulfill this condition and futher more the erection manual state thatwing tip cord length of 10 Ft = 10 x 304.7994720 = 3,047.994720 mm.

The DYNAM PBY 5A have not a sharp cut, but is rounded and my PBY 5A have wing tip cord lenght of 146 mm, which equal a scale of 20.87.

My eye tell me that DYNAM wing span and/or wing tip is not trusth worthy for scale determination as they are notconfigurated as the original PBY 5/6.

Hb
Grand Dad is offline Find More Posts by Grand Dad
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:06 PM
Registered User
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,079 Posts
Good point, I did not consider the specification would be with the floats retracted...
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:22 PM
Registered User
TripleW's Avatar
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Dad View Post
Thank your for instruction.

For a new Bee as me please give instruction on your connections in use of reciever channels and are ESC for Starbord and bagbord engine connected to the same channel on reciever or do you use a separate for each ESC.

In the later case which channels are used.

HB
I'm a noob too when it come to mixing.
The right throttle is plugged into the Gear port and the Left throttle is plugged into the Throttle port. (No "Y" harness)
TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 05:55 AM
Registered User
Danmark, Hovedstaden, Holte
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Continouation on float confuguration

DYNAM PBY 5A wing have the original wing outer panel dihedral of 2° 20’ or similar, so float position under wing outer panel can be calculated direct.

Wingspan is inclusive floats raised to horizontal position and measure is the keel to keel distance of 104 ft =104 x 304.799472 = 31,699.15 mm and in scale of 31,699.15/20.5 = 1,546.1 mm.

Float scale height is earlier calculated to 31 mm, which give wing length of 1,546.1-2 x 31 = 1,484.1 mm.

Lowered floats are situated keel to keel 89 ft 4 in apart equal to 89 x 304.799472 +4 x 25.4 = 27,228.75 mm.

Float scale separation is 27,228.75/20.5 =1,328.1 mm.

DYNAM float fixing point separation c/c on wing is on my PBY5A 1328 mm.

Float deck position under outer wing panel is (1,484.1-1,328.1)/2 =78 mm.

Float keel position under outer wing panel is 78 +31 = 109 mm.

DYNAM floats are on my PBY 5A positioned under outer wing panel at half cord length with float deck at 110 mm and keel at 141 mm.

Based on above it is full understandable that some of you gays have experienced odd landing behaviour and crashes.

Scale wing length (without retracted floats) should be 1,484.1 mm and tip in a sharp cut perpendicular to wing axis with a cord length of 10 x 304.799472/20.5 = 148.7 mm.

HB
Grand Dad is offline Find More Posts by Grand Dad
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion catalina pby bwshifferly Electric Warbirds 0 May 07, 2011 10:52 PM
Wanted Great Planes PBY catalina motor nacelles jemdesign Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 9 Apr 28, 2011 04:41 PM
Darehobby PBY Catalina build thread. picture loaded jeff262 Scale Kit/Scratch Built 44 Nov 26, 2005 09:37 AM
any interest in a build thread for a PBY Catalina? jeff262 Parkflyers 9 Feb 21, 2005 10:47 AM