SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:46 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol View Post
Not a whole lot of reporting about the event.
How did the pilots like the new tasks? Any opinions about them?
I liked the last 3, unlimited throws, 3 minute max.
For some reason, I like it better than the last 2 flights, 4 minute max .... probably because I like the idea of dropping the first if you get a good read for your third.
Also, Stringing 3 together is harder than 2.
Sean was timing for me, and he said he would treat it as 3 threes.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:56 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,115 Posts
My synopsis of the weekend.

For me the weekend started Friday with the trip to the orthopedist. Of course I said that I kept the MRI disk and said to myself that he already looked at it and wouldn't need it again. Of course, he did. None the less, he said that I should quit flying. I said WHATTTTT!!!! No can do. He next replied that I had full range of motion in the knee and couldn't detect any pain (besides the guy in the office ). He suggested ,'trial by fire'. He said I could do a little and slowly ramp up to doing moer flying if I experienced no pain. I said, OK and scheduled me for another visit 6 weeks later. I guess he figured I was going to finish the job on my kneee so this would help guarantee that I would be setup for another office visit to take the next course of action. He said for me to continue with the exercises.

Immediately after the doc's, i ran home to pick up the marking paint and wand. The paint want has a wheel and handle and was suppose to make it easier to paint. Put the can of paint into it and nothing worked. Par for the course. I laid out some winch line I had to some rebar to mark the coners of the 400 x 200 ft field and by hand ran out 6 cans of paint to demarcate the field. Luckily, no one reported me since I do not think that makring pain and nature preserves go hand in hand but they left us little to no recourse.

After that the knee was acting up a bit and my back was in pain. Greatfully, all was gone the next morning....

Saturday Aug 6

Saturday had it all.... except clear skies. We had wind and little to no wind. We had fully overcast skies and partly cloudy skies. It even rained after the contest ended that evening. All I can say is that conditions were tough. Thermals were swirling oddly and dissipaitng after a short duration of formation. Setup went fine but we ran into problems with connectivity to the soundsystem. Part way through the day, Rob got it all squared away. We did though have some slow downs caused by it but were able to persevere.

As an example of the conditions, I was timing for Sean on a 1,2,3,4. He was about 1+ into his flight when the thermal he was in seemed to dissapear. I spotted the streamer nearly straight lift up and he came back upwind to get another ride. As he was coming back, he hit monster sink. I think he dropped 150-200 ft over a distance of about 40 ft. Now he found himself 10-15 ft off the deck. He continued to push upwind and found good but turbulent lift. He took this up again for a duration and again it dissippated. It took him a total of 3 saves from 10-15 ft or less to make a 3:50 time. Definitely a skilled pilot and worthy of being Grand Champion for the weekend.

nothing was a gimmie on Sat. but Dave and Sean and Kenny found the nec. lift to make it happen. I do not think any of them made it looked easy but they did show their skills that day.

Sat. we ran a Last Three task to much grumbling of the contestants. that was round 7. I do not think that the task is all that different from a 3 of 6 since most seasoned pilots only need 3 throws anyway to complete the 3 of 6. I think it was well received and does add a bit to the stress since the wording makes it sound harder than a 3 of 6 done in only 3 throws. My strategy was to get out of sinc. ASAP and let them find the lift for me. I also felt that the first throw was only to mark lift and then I might relight to get into it higher up. this I hoped would ensure that the one ride might get me 2 of the 3 tasks. the weekend's air was what I fly worst in and my scores showed it but I think in the Last 3 I managed 2:50 and a 2:51 as my first times. I look forward to offering this and the 200 sec x 3 in the future.

Frank
Fly2High is online now Find More Posts by Fly2High
Last edited by Fly2High; Aug 09, 2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:14 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,115 Posts
Sunday Aug 7

I woke on Sunday to find it raining. I had told the guys to get to the field early only if the weather was good otherwise they could take their time getting there. the winds were blowning and the rain came down in waves. I got to the field at 7AM and saw only 3 breaks of about 3 min each from 7 to 8 AM. I spoke to Ed and Peter and the club treasurer Rich and agreed that we might have to issue refunds and cancel the food. I called to cancel the food at about 8:30AM and the rest of the contestants began showing up.

As they came the duration of rain stoppage seemed to grow to the point where at about 9:15 or so, it stopped. I said if we get 15min of stoppage , then we will FLY!!!!

And it did.....

We checked the dopplar and all the rain on the map was to our east and past us. Had to call the deli to get the 5ft hero and salads and such BACK on order. Great deli and were happy to fulfill the order.

Unfortunately we had a few Sat only guys and another who showed but chickened out due to some excuse about needing planes for the Bruce. I won't name names but I will say he has a premature release problem at Delaware and Arboga, Sweden. GERLY MAN, get a pair of brass ones!!! (just kidding- he gave me a sound thrashing only the day before ).

We ended up having only 6 pilots fly on Sunday after the rain. Everyone there pitched in to get the streamers up, a couple of tent up and the scoring and sound systems operational so thatw e could get flying ASAP. Thank you one and all. It was only through all in attendance could we have gotten setup so fast and get everything underway in such a short time.

It seemed to me that the winds deminished and became quiete manageable as the day progressed. Luck found me in no knee pain bt I still launched somewhat guarded until stress and aggravation took over when I would launch full tilt. So far, no long lasting side effects and only feel a little swollen and slightly stiff.

Most ballasted lighter plane or had planes in the 10 oz range and that seemed to be a good fit for the conditions at hand.

Everyone else said that the weather was better Sunday than Sat. but I felt the other way. Maybe my score had something to do with it, I do not know. With ballast or without, I couldn't find lift even if it hit me in the face and announced itself with a blaze of color.

Sean, proved otherwise as did Rob S. they duked it out throughout the day end in a tie after 5 rounds. Sean took top honors only due to a better dropped round but I think we haven't seen rob fly this good in a long time. He was a force to be rekkoned with and will give Sean a run for the money next year should he return in the future.

I think it was the last flight where Sean specked out so high that he was a mere dot against the cloud that seemed to show his skills on Sunday best. All of us tried to dethrone him but no one seemed to come close enough. The only round Rob faced Sean was in the ladder and Rob failed to make the 1:45 but came extremely close, if I recall. this was his undoing. this loss would later be dropped but it was a deep enough loss that it would take him out of the winner's circle.

I would like again to thank all for supporting us in so many ways.

thank you all.

I will be looking forward to next year.

Sincerely,

Frank
Last edited by Fly2High; Aug 09, 2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:48 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,384 Posts
I gave Sean his drop. Woho! .. Got him by 4 seconds.

I had my chance to get Rob in the last 2 rounds cuz I flew with him then.

My undoing that day, was when I timed for Rob in the first round.
I noticed that he was using too much rudder so I told him to get off it completely, speed up the plane, And let his Stobel get into it's groove.
He did, and then proceeded to out fly me.

But hey, that's what we do... we help our brothers.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:51 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,115 Posts
Next time, Ken only help those who are doing worse than you .

I'll take some advice anytime!!!
Old Aug 09, 2011, 01:08 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,375 Posts
Frank, thanks for your report.
olgol is online now Find More Posts by olgol
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
Old Aug 09, 2011, 01:22 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,115 Posts
Just remember that my report on Last three is from a novice poising as an expert, me
Old Aug 09, 2011, 01:59 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,115 Posts
We did have surprisingly little carnage. I think it all happened to one person, Peter.

On Sat., He was flying and him and Dave with the Stobel and Peter with a SG, decided to play chicken. The stobel slid right along the fuse and stripped the sub fin off and causing the rest of the rudder to split right up along the hingeline.

Then on Sun., i had the rudder horn tear out the hole before we began. Poor Peter on the last flight of the last round had it tear through the G10 horn on his LightHawk's rudder causeing him to slam into the streamer pole with a subsequent delam and dent in the wing.

I am sure he will have them all up and flying pretty fast.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 03:12 PM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
Sounds like you guys had fun.

David, those Stobels will last longer if you keep the blue sky rule. You have more mid-airs than anyone I know!
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken
Old Aug 09, 2011, 03:56 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,473 Posts
Inaproriate ... sorry !
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KevinSharbonda; Aug 09, 2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:56 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,115 Posts
missed the comment by this much!
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:11 AM
Long Island, New York
Joined Mar 2002
272 Posts
Carnage Report: Blaster ll needs some pylon strengthening, it is split at the seam in the back. Super Gee lost most of its rudder in a mid air with a Stobel. Fortunately I was able to land it. No other damage. Recently repaired XP 5 hit the ground hard when the rudder and elevator servos came loose before a launch. Fuse pod cracks, previously repaired have to be repaired again. No other damage. Lighthawk crashed after launch ( last launch of the last round on Sunday ) due to pushrod ripping out of the rudder horn. Good thing was that I lowered the flaps as the model was coming down. This took a lot of energy out of the crash although the LH did hit one of the streamer poles. There is a slight wing delam and a dent in the LE to repair. Not a big deal.
I guess this is why you bring 4 DLGs to a contest ! Outside of that, I had a great time, especially on Sunday. The wind got less and the lift got better.

Pete
petefly58 is offline Find More Posts by petefly58
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:17 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,450 Posts
Frank,

You should post those two daily posts to the ESL web site as contest reports. If you have a problem, let me know and I can post them for you. I will also include them in the next newsletter, with your permission.

If anyone else would like to file a personal contest report, those can go on the ESL web site too, after Franks. And I would be happy to include anything you send to me in the ESL news leter.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr