HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:40 PM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveyourskin View Post
I also ordered from Myrcmart and Focalprice, focalprice shipped quickly, but Myrcmart no, so I emailed them lastweek to ask why the delay in processing. and they said:

"The first round of GW9958 all gone. But the second shipment is expected to come next week as we were told by GW factory."

So this week it must be ready to ship i hope.

Someone knows if the 9958 USB Charge Cable From Myrcmart has voltage cut-off circuit? i was looking to buy some to be able to charge the extra batteries that doesn´t have it built-in as the stock one.
So it seems Myrcmart underestimated the interest & demand for GW9958. I hope they add more selection of parts as well.
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:12 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Here's another outdoor video, still not the best quality but it's the best that I can do.

9958 Outdoors Take 2 (3 min 33 sec)

Take note of the crash into the tree, the heli got stuck but I managed to fly it out. Also, the crash at the end resulted in no damage.

I've beaten this thing around a fair bit now, nothing has broken and everything is proving to be quite durable. The only two things that have happened is that the landing skids have fallen out of the frame, and the tail fin pops out of place in a crash. Both are press fit and can be snapped back into place with ease. The landing skids detaching could be disastrous though, as if the cable that plugs into the battery wraps around something some damage could be done.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:18 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
I'm out of action lol, finally broke something. I need a new top head assembly, I broke one of the blade holders. Also snapped off the balls on the main blades when I removed them. I can't seem to find the part that I need in stock anywhere though.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:03 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
I'm out of action lol, finally broke something. I need a new top head assembly, I broke one of the blade holders. Also snapped off the balls on the main blades when I removed them. I can't seem to find the part that I need in stock anywhere though.
Since MyRCMart is cheaper & supposedly restocking more 9958 helis make a request to them to add more such breakable parts to their inventory. They must be aware by now of the increased 9958 awareness & interest.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:10 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,389 Posts
I like the 9958's speed, but the skidding in turns still seems a little off-putting. Frank, did you already check if the head and gears/main motor fit the Solo Pro? The idea of a more quiet Solo Pro is very appealing.

As for the play on the main shaft, you said you can't set the collar more tight, how about the gear?
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:29 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
I contacted MyRcMart and they will be getting in a full range of spares. I went ahead and ordered some, man they're cheap. Everything is under $1, even the canopy. Will have to wait for the new lot of spares to be in stock before flying again though.

There's no room for adjustment on the main shaft SoloPro, which is unfortunate. The gear, collar and head all have a screw that inserts between them and a hole in the shaft.

I'll size up the head to see how interchangeable the parts will be between the 9958 and Solo Pro.

Long story short, the 9958 is a great heli for the price, but if you want something that flies nicer get a Solo Pro.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:42 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,389 Posts
Quote:
I contacted MyRcMart and they will be getting in a full range of spares. I went ahead and ordered some, man they're cheap. Everything is under $1, even the canopy. Will have to wait for the new lot of spares to be in stock before flying again though.

There's no room for adjustment on the main shaft SoloPro, which is unfortunate. The gear, collar and head all have a screw that inserts between them and a hole in the shaft.

I'll size up the head to see how interchangeable the parts will be between the 9958 and Solo Pro.

Long story short, the 9958 is a great heli for the price, but if you want something that flies nicer get a Solo Pro.
How about drilling a new hole a little above the other one? If you do it at 90 degrees from the other hole, it should not compromise strength as much.

Good to hear spare parts are cheap, otherwise getting a second heli would have been more economical than keeping spare parts...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:42 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Okay, had a quick look at the Solo Pro and 9958.

- The canopies are not interchangeable, the mounts don't line up.
- The 9958 main gear is smaller in diameter than the Solo Pro main gear and is not interchangeable.
- The Main blades are not interchangeable.
- The tail rotor is interchangeable, as is the tail boom but electrical work will be involved.
- The aluminium? main shaft of the 9958 is longer than the Solo Pro main shaft.
- The main motors appear to be the same length and diameter but I will need to double check that with a calliper.
- The 9958 swash arms are at the same angle as the Solo Pro's, but they sit/are angled higher. It should work, but I will need to test.
- The top head assembly and flybar are not interchangeable.

It doesn't look like the 9958 will be a good source of parts for the Solo Pro. I suppose you could try and fit the entire head assembly of the 9958 into the Solo Pro, retaining the main gear from the Solo Pro, but I don't see the point. The head of the Solo Pro works well.

I'm not sure what makes the 9958 so quiet. It does have a smaller main gear, a smoother running swash and perhaps the motor itself is quieter. With the canopy off, you'd barely know it was running.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 03:18 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,389 Posts
Quote:
Okay, had a quick look at the Solo Pro and 9958.

- The canopies are not interchangeable, the mounts don't line up.
- The 9958 main gear is smaller in diameter than the Solo Pro main gear and is not interchangeable.
- The Main blades are not interchangeable.
- The tail rotor is interchangeable, as is the tail boom but electrical work will be involved.
- The aluminium? main shaft of the 9958 is longer than the Solo Pro main shaft.
- The main motors appear to be the same length and diameter but I will need to double check that with a calliper.
- The 9958 swash arms are at the same angle as the Solo Pro's, but they sit/are angled higher. It should work, but I will need to test.
- The top head assembly and flybar are not interchangeable.

It doesn't look like the 9958 will be a good source of parts for the Solo Pro. I suppose you could try and fit the entire head assembly of the 9958 into the Solo Pro, retaining the main gear from the Solo Pro, but I don't see the point. The head of the Solo Pro works well.

I'm not sure what makes the 9958 so quiet. It does have a smaller main gear, a smoother running swash and perhaps the motor itself is quieter. With the canopy off, you'd barely know it was running.
The main gear might be different, but if the motor pinion is bigger, the motor and main gear combo might fit the SP.

The main point of trying to fit the 9958 head on the SP is speed. I don't know if, even with a shortened flybar, the SP can go as fast as the 9958.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:21 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:

Thats great they're adding full range of 9958 spares. I think the 9958 might be a cheap source of parts for the MSR rather than the Solo Pro. Some MSR parts might be 9958 compatible but they are so pricey.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:14 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
MyRcMart have announced they'll have another GW heli in stock soon, the 9998. Looks like an mCX equivalent.

Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:25 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,389 Posts
Odd to give it a higher model number while it won't outperfom the 9958 for sure, being a coax with single swash...

But certainly looks like 2011 is "the year of the clones"...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:20 AM
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
MyRcMart have announced they'll have another GW heli in stock soon, the 9998. Looks like an mCX equivalent.

Also available at HobbyKing:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._-_Mode_2.html

There is a video review:

Co-axial Heli - HobbyKing Product Review (3 min 19 sec)
helicopcat is offline Find More Posts by helicopcat
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:59 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Ah yes, I remember someone pointed that HK heli out, I didn't make the connection with it being another GW heli though. It's also on RC711.com
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:56 AM
Joined Jan 2008
33 Posts
I am using 3.7V 150mah batteries and I have to keep monitoring the voltage when charging to prevent any overcharging. It is quite a hassle

1 of my batts has already bloated slightly and it read 4.4V when i tested.. Bad idea to exclude a safety feature from the usb cable.
xypher is offline Find More Posts by xypher