HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:32 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosol View Post
Any kind of mod or compatible MSR parts that would help make it more responsive?
I'm not sure. The best way I can think to describe it is to say that it feels like it's skating on ice, so when you release a command it still slides in that direction until you counteract it. It's due to the head design, the CB100 is the same.

I've just taken another video indoors which will highlight what I'm talking about, you can see how 'slippery' it is and how the heli doesn't bite into corners. Give it an hour or so to upload.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:09 AM
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
Quick word of warning, the USB charging cable does not have a voltage cut-off. I was wondering why the stock battery was so big, it's because the voltage cut-off circuit is built into the battery.
First, many compliments for your review, I'm more excited waiting for my 9958.

I'm also waiting for some HK compatible LiPos, does this mean I can't use them with USB charging cable?
helicopcat is offline Find More Posts by helicopcat
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:33 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,746 Posts
I have some turnigy nano-techs from HK, they work well in this heli but you can't charge them with the provided USB charging cable. You could if you timed it and watched it with a multimeter, but not worth the risk in my opinion.

The 9C002's charging cable had a voltage cut-off, but I sold that heli to britinoz.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:58 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,089 Posts
Quote:
I'm still struggling to obtain nice turns. It just won't bank in a controlled manner like the SP does. Indoors, I've found that I need to use back elevator a lot just to keep it in control, whereas with my SP I can zip it around at full forwards elevator knowing that if I need to turn sharp and fast, the SP is up to the task.

Battery life is amazing. I can reach 7 minutes before the tail starts showing signs of fatigue. It's powerful, fast, smooth and quiet, it just doesn't corner nicely and it tends to TBE in hover. I imagine it would feel very similar to your Trex 100, just less responsive. If you've flown an MSR or CB100 you will feel right at home with the 9958.

A few more notes:

- There are no safety features on this heli. I.e. if you power up with the throttle stick raised, the heli will spin up and take-off. If you turn off the TX whilst flying the heli will continue to fly.

Holding down the left throttle stick whilst powering on the TX invokes the binding process.
That sounds like a Trex 100 indeed, TBE in hover and a sliding feel. At least this one is much cheaper, and uses a more solid battery connector than the bad NE rip-off Align chose.

The lack of any safety measures is a bit worrying, especially since these helis are aimed at novice pilots.

7 minutes of flight on what battery capacity? 150 mAh?
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:03 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
I have some turnigy nano-techs from HK, they work well in this heli but you can't charge them with the provided USB charging cable. You could if you timed it and watched it with a multimeter, but not worth the risk in my opinion.

The 9C002's charging cable had a voltage cut-off, but I sold that heli to britinoz.
How does it compare with the Jiuchon 9C002?
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:21 AM
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
Quote:

Is it worth buying the wall charger of 9C002?

http://www.helipal.com/9c002-010-charger.html

safe and cheap?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:39 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,746 Posts
7 minutes with the stock 150mAh battery. This battery does have a voltage cut-off circuit built in, so it should be safe if charged with common sense.

The 9958 is built nicer than a 9C002, and in most areas it outperforms it, it just doesn't corner nicely. The 9958 is like a slightly toned down MSR where the 9C002 is like a severely toned down Solo Pro.

Here's a mini review: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1469949
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:29 AM
Joined Jan 2008
33 Posts
What is the best way to charge multiple 3.7v batteries? I have 2 and have another 2-3 on the way from hobbyking. The turnigy ones have no built-in cut off. Now that the usb charger also has no cut off built inside it, how do i ensure that I do not overcharge it?
xypher is offline Find More Posts by xypher
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:55 AM
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopcat View Post
Is it worth buying the wall charger of 9C002?

http://www.helipal.com/9c002-010-charger.html

safe and cheap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xypher View Post
What is the best way to charge multiple 3.7v batteries? I have 2 and have another 2-3 on the way from hobbyking. The turnigy ones have no built-in cut off. Now that the usb charger also has no cut off built inside it, how do i ensure that I do not overcharge it?
It seems we are waiting someone helping us to find a good solution...
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:41 AM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,244 Posts
Well,
two ways, I use both:
Parallel charging (i.e. with the very cheap - check for buddy price - HK cable - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10621 - of course you can solder this for yourself) - what is no problem with similar sized and similar "full" 1s batteries. I did it with all my batteries, let the batteries plugged on "set" for maybe 1/4 h to get same charging level befor starting to charge.

Serial charging with balancing - I soldered those cables for myself, but you also can buy them - i.e. http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=7219 for 3 batteries.

Both methods are ok for those 1 s lipos, maybe balance charging is a little more save.

Of course you need a charger, which are quite cheap.
I have this very cheap one for more than a year now and am very satisfied:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7028
(need extra power supply - 2 Ah is enough for tiny batteries),

Walter
Donaldsneffe is offline Find More Posts by Donaldsneffe
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:33 AM
Joined Jan 2008
33 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll try them when I have some spare time this week.

My heli has backward and rightward drift tendencies, so I removed the control arm at the ball joint and turned it to add some forward and leftward forces. The drift was too great for trim to be used, I had maxed out the forward trim and it still drifted back a little. I will find out how the adjustments go when I spin it up again this evening.

Side Q: Should I invest in a Solo Pro for my next heli or will it be too similar to the 9958 in terms of skill level needed? I'm asking because my friend may be going to HK or China and he can get one for me on the way back. If it is recommended then I will buy it.
xypher is offline Find More Posts by xypher
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:39 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,089 Posts
Since it seems the 9958 has more smooth motor/gear sound than the SP, maybe it's possible to use the 9958 motor and gear in the SP to make it more quiet?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:24 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,512 Posts
Playing with my Solo Pro and modding it to have Bell-Hiller, I was unsuccessful and introduces major TBE.

I learn that the weight or length of the balance bar plays a huge factor in this.

Given that 9958 seems to be a design clone of the mSR, but yet, has a different type of balance bar...I can see how it's flight characteristic is similar...yet different.

I also wonder if there is a way to turn down the gyro on the 9958. On my Solo Pro, I enjoyed the agile characteristic of it once I turn down the gyro completely. It really came alive. Wonder if the 9958 can benefit from lowering the electronics gyro settings a bit.

Time will tell once more people get their hands on it. Given the price, we may even see it modded to the T to improve things even more. From your review...it certainly seem like a good base to mod from.

Can't wait till mine gets here. I think it left China on the 9th. Will share once I get them. Ordered a red one for myself and and black on for my friend.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:56 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Playing with my Solo Pro and modding it to have Bell-Hiller, I was unsuccessful and introduces major TBE.

I learn that the weight or length of the balance bar plays a huge factor in this.

Given that 9958 seems to be a design clone of the mSR, but yet, has a different type of balance bar...I can see how it's flight characteristic is similar...yet different.

I also wonder if there is a way to turn down the gyro on the 9958. On my Solo Pro, I enjoyed the agile characteristic of it once I turn down the gyro completely. It really came alive. Wonder if the 9958 can benefit from lowering the electronics gyro settings a bit.

Time will tell once more people get their hands on it. Given the price, we may even see it modded to the T to improve things even more. From your review...it certainly seem like a good base to mod from.

Can't wait till mine gets here. I think it left China on the 9th. Will share once I get them. Ordered a red one for myself and and black on for my friend.
Modded 9958 like this?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=15
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:11 PM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
I was thinking perhaps some MSR mods such as EQMod's ZBar experiments might be applicable to the 9958. It would be fun & interesting to try them out.
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol