HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2011, 06:22 AM
Indoor RC Hotdog
Joined Aug 2011
270 Posts
You know what's ironic? They only had the IR version at the store.
I would've totally wanted the RC one for her and especially for her kid. IT's tough to keep the stupid controller pointed at the heli all of the time.

daf

WANTED: A dirt cheap 4 channel coaxial with RADIO Tx..shipped. (The 2.4G 5888 is only $44 shipped. THar's only $10 more than I paid for the IR version. ) I wonder if they use the same PCB in both controllers and just swap out electronics for the RC or IR versions?
dafremen is offline Find More Posts by dafremen
Last edited by dafremen; Oct 08, 2011 at 06:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2011, 10:47 AM
Joined Jul 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafremen View Post
You know what's ironic? They only had the IR version at the store.
I would've totally wanted the RC one for her and especially for her kid. IT's tough to keep the stupid controller pointed at the heli all of the time.

daf

WANTED: A dirt cheap 4 channel coaxial with RADIO Tx..shipped. (The 2.4G 5888 is only $44 shipped. THar's only $10 more than I paid for the IR version. ) I wonder if they use the same PCB in both controllers and just swap out electronics for the RC or IR versions?
What about just a transmitter? Remember - one of my birds flew away. Also - not any 2.4 will bind to it.
jonnyrockets is offline Find More Posts by jonnyrockets
Old Oct 08, 2011, 11:37 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,498 Posts
Daf, In theory, IR transmission requires line-of-sight. But in reality, the IR signal bounces around so much that as long as you are in the same room and not the in a completely different room, you'd be able to control your helicopter. I've flown them out of the room and around the corner, too. So, IR is completely easy and manageable indoors. You don't have to literally pointing the remote at the helicopter as it flies.

Jonny, The fact the the 5888 Tx could bind with the 9958/9998 is indeed interesting to know. I'm saying 9958/9998 because it has already been proven earlier that they are indeed compatible. What might be interesting though, if you have time to try out and compare is the range difference. Does the 5888 Tx has a real antenna? I'm saying that because the 9958 doesn't. While it looks very similar to the basic Blade controller, the blade controller's antenna is a real one and the 9958 has a fake one. If you open up the controller, you'll find that there is no core in the antenna. The thing that's sticking out of the remote is pure looks. It has no functionality. Therefore, *if* the 5888 Tx has a real antenna, it might offer better range - and therefore, less chance of the fly away helicopter.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Oct 08, 2011, 12:28 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,340 Posts
Those are good thought Heli Pad. Too much thinking for a Sat morning. You been flying much?
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Oct 08, 2011, 12:44 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,498 Posts
I've been flying a little and like you said, the motor got real hot after a flight. So, I have to take it easy until new parts arrive. I might do some more flying today.

An update to my earlier post: I've since learned that the 5888 Tx has a built-in antenna (a trace on the PCB) just like the 9958. It has a fake, hallow antenna stick that doesn't have any functionality. So, I imagine that the range would be about the same.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Oct 08, 2011, 02:08 PM
United Kingdom, England, Arundel
Joined Aug 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Daf, In theory, IR transmission requires line-of-sight. But in reality, the IR signal bounces around so much that as long as you are in the same room and not the in a completely different room, you'd be able to control your helicopter. I've flown them out of the room and around the corner, too. So, IR is completely easy and manageable indoors. You don't have to literally pointing the remote at the helicopter as it flies.

Jonny, The fact the the 5888 Tx could bind with the 9958/9998 is indeed interesting to know. I'm saying 9958/9998 because it has already been proven earlier that they are indeed compatible. What might be interesting though, if you have time to try out and compare is the range difference. Does the 5888 Tx has a real antenna? I'm saying that because the 9958 doesn't. While it looks very similar to the basic Blade controller, the blade controller's antenna is a real one and the 9958 has a fake one. If you open up the controller, you'll find that there is no core in the antenna. The thing that's sticking out of the remote is pure looks. It has no functionality. Therefore, *if* the 5888 Tx has a real antenna, it might offer better range - and therefore, less chance of the fly away helicopter.
I have a 5888 and the antenna is fake on that as well - great little heli though, you should see the threads on here for it.
Going to see if I can bind with both helis when mine arrives, save me taking lots of different txs with me when I go out.
LeChef is offline Find More Posts by LeChef
Old Oct 08, 2011, 07:56 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,252 Posts
Another beginner question. After a day of off and on practice, I can finally manage to hover (hand launched only) within a cubic ft or so. Now when I try to move forward, I notice that if I push the right stick straight up (12 o'clock), the heli seems to want to move toward 1 or 2 o'clock; relative to its local frame of ref., but if I pull the stick toward 6 o'clock, the heli does move straight back, as I expect. What gives? Is that normal? I know that single rotor heli's have a tilt when in the air, could that be the cause? And what to do about it, should I try to push the right stick around 10 to 11 0'clock to get the heli to go straight? Thanks.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Last edited by stonecutter; Oct 10, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 09:32 PM
Indoor RC Hotdog
Joined Aug 2011
270 Posts
Stonecutter,

Sounds like when you gun the throttle hard, there's momentary lag where the tail motor speeds up before the main rotor can catch up..causing the tail to push clockwise..throwing the nose to the right. Try easing into the throttle a little more gently.

Guys, this heli is amazing. I tanked it into the swimming pool next to our space. (I was sooo bummed. This was right after I'd swapped out the main board.)

It sat in the pool, turned on and plugged in for 2 minutes before we could fish it out.

I pulled the batt, and started shaking the water out best i could. Then I put it on a fan to get the main rotor spinning..and left it there for about 45 minutes.

Plugged it in...and she's flying. Like nothing happened. Made a little extra noise from the tail motor at first...but even that worked itself out.

Wow. What can you say to something like that? Best I can figure the battery shorted itself out before any components could be damaged.

daf

UPDATE: Not sure how this happened, but the battery that was in the heli when it splashed down into the pool..just took a full charge and flew fine. No noticeable loss in time or performance (they were crappy batts to begin with.) What's even more remarkable about this is that on these weird batteries, the charging protection circuitry is built INTO the battery. I'm calling this chopper "Houdini" for holding its breath for 2 minutes, escaping and coming out alive.
Last edited by dafremen; Oct 09, 2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 06:07 AM
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafremen View Post
[...]I'm calling this chopper "Houdini" for holding its breath for 2 minutes, escaping and coming out alive.
Someone else called it "Half - Copperfield", because it disappeared in the sky but never returned.....
helicopcat is offline Find More Posts by helicopcat
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:07 AM
Indoor RC Hotdog
Joined Aug 2011
270 Posts
All anyone would have to do is see how much abuse I've put this copter through. To date I've bought 3 flybars (the original upgrade one and two others.) And Not counting the Xieda blades (which I bought too many of), I've bought 3 sets of blades. All of them due to broken ball links. I still have 2 of the 3 sets of blades. (Just need to shave one down to balance a pair.) Blade MSR blades are about 7 - 8 bucks here. Using the mCX/2 rotor head, I'm using mCX micro lower blades which are only $3. So $21 vs. $9.

I have no intention of staying with FP helis. That said, it makes little or no sense to me to spend more than I absolutely have to at this stage in the hobby. At $47 shipped plus about $12 for the blade and flybar upgrade and you have all of the heli you need to get from coax to single blade to 6 channel ready.

I spent the morning working on smoothing out counter clockwise circles. Still fine tuning throttle control. With stock batteries, I've been using 4 or 5 clicks up on the throttle trim. I also started teaching myself to do funnels. Had a nice clockwise, nose down funnel going a few times in the cul-de-sac..purposely...(no..really.)

This thing flies really well without the canopy. It increases fly time by quit a bit, but would reduce durability in a crash. That canopy saves breakage again and again and again. I'm going to work on reducing weight. It's going to be challenging since it's so light already, but the carbon fiber main shaft modification will be a good start. (Thanks Daryoon. =D)

They'll have to pry my helicopter from my cold, dead hands. (Tx pried separately. Batteries included..but probably dead),

daf
Last edited by dafremen; Oct 09, 2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:47 AM
Medan , Indonesia
Joined Jul 2009
183 Posts
Hi guys...just received my 9958 (HK-190) from hobbycity,no upgrade,flight it all from stock just a little color paint on canopy all trim on tx is on normal position, ex for tail have 2 clik on right trim..it's seem need to trim on linkage for side and forward
here is the video newbie take from cellphone flight indoor...

HK-190 / XIEDA 9958 indoor test (3 min 5 sec)
atari7up is offline Find More Posts by atari7up
Last edited by atari7up; Oct 10, 2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:57 AM
Indoor RC Hotdog
Joined Aug 2011
270 Posts
Well played atari7up. Welcome to the Xieda 9958 Pilot's Association.

I'ts late and I'm tired, but I had to post this for Daryoon, for all he's done for and shown us about modding this chopper:

Name: Hot Rod 9958.jpg
Views: 303
Size: 217.2 KB
Description:

See if you can identify the swash =D This thing is so fast and sensitive it scares ME. (And I don't scare easily.) I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Helicopters..they're not just for breakfast any more,

daf

UPDATE: WOW. This thing is an mSR KILLER. =D
Last edited by dafremen; Oct 10, 2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:13 AM
Medan , Indonesia
Joined Jul 2009
183 Posts
Thanks daf....
i'm a newbie for rotary wing , all this time just flight with fixedwing...so this little bird is my first time with rotary wing....got a lot off fun
atari7up is offline Find More Posts by atari7up
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:23 AM
Indoor RC Hotdog
Joined Aug 2011
270 Posts
Looks like you're a natural. I traded a First Person Shooter game I'd been playing for 14(?) years..to do this. The skill level is amazing and adrenaline rush is unlike any sport. It's my meditation and my morning cup of coffee all rolled into one.

Make sure to check out the thread carefully. We've covered a lot of ground and learned a lot about saving money on replacement parts with this heli. Plus some of us have been modifying it to see what we can make it do. Daryoon's been aces at that.

I'm testing its durability..and maybe my neighbors' nerves. (!)

A helicopter is a mighty fine thing,

daf
Last edited by dafremen; Oct 10, 2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:09 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,340 Posts
Hee...good job. You'll get used to the response and speed. You will have to develop new muscle memory. If you still have the 9958 stock balance bar, you can try putting that on as an intermediate stepping stone. If you want scary, try shortening the swash servo arms by 2mm. Now, that's scary fast to me. I am not sure if the stock TX is sensitive to handle the quickness of that mod.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon