HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2011, 07:55 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,701 Posts
My generosity?!? I think everyone could see that you're the generous one between the two of us. Thank you, Daryoon, for the TLC given to my heli. It's pure joy to see it fly in the hands who knows how to fly it. I've never seen it hover like that. Thanks for fixing its trim.

Flying is the 2nd best thing of this hobby. The best thing, as I've found out, is meeting great, helpful people that share the hobby.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:56 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,572 Posts
Heh. That wasn't trimmed yet. But thanks for the kind words.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Oct 05, 2011, 12:34 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,572 Posts
Anybody else willing to buy and drop a Trex 100s swashplate into their 9958 and tell me the result.

To me, it seems to get A LOT of cyclic throw with just that simple mod. And the Trex 100s balls are the same size as the 9958 too.

The swashplate servo arms are shorter and the ballhub arms are slightly longer. Together, you can really tilt the 9958. I have it on my heavily modified 9958, and it's crazy. I want to put it into a stock 9958 to compare. Too lazy to disassemble two birds at the moment. I am all modded out tonight.

-Daryoon

p.s. Uploading another video of Heli-Pal's 9958 being found in my house. Will share as soon as it gets onto Youtube.

pps. Here it is...slow flying and still getting used to flying within the frame of the video camera. Not much room, nor light...so it's the best I can do. It shows some hands free, stable hover. However, the battery voltage was dropping as well, so it didn't hover as long as I have seen it with fresh batteries.

Flying Xieda 9958 Indoor (3 min 15 sec)
Last edited by Daryoon; Oct 05, 2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:17 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,291 Posts
Considering some very usefull mods that have been shown here, perhaps it would be convenient if the first post would be updated to include the "must do" mods, like replacing fragile parts with the mCX ones, etc. How about it, Frank?
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:43 AM
Indoor RC Hotdog
Joined Aug 2011
270 Posts
Anyone tried popping a 300Mah 30C Lipo into one of these yet?

I'm curious to see how performance is improved.

daf

P.S. Apparently you'd trade lower performance for longer flight times..maybe. I'm still going with the 160mAh Turnigy 30Cs. They only weight .2g more and cost 1.60 apiece or less.
dafremen is offline Find More Posts by dafremen
Last edited by dafremen; Oct 05, 2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:28 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafremen View Post
Anyone tried popping a 300Mah 30C Lipo into one of these yet?

I'm curious to see how performance is improved.

daf
How will extra weight improve it's performance? I would not go beyond a 160 mAh cell, and get a Hyperion of ThunderPower one, these are 25C and true 25C, not hyped up specs like we see on some lipos...
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Oct 05, 2011, 10:17 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,572 Posts
I don't really know if the Hyperion and Thunderpowers are worth it's price. I have two of each and actually prefer to fly my Turnigy because I have a bunch of them. So I get the helicopter trimmed for it's weight. And don't mind if I end up killing the lipo because of it's price.

You don't know how many LiPo's I have destroyed in the past few weeks. (5?) All in my Solo Pro for some reason. I accidentally leave them plugged in when my kid would come and get my attention and I walk away. When I come back much later, the Solo Pro drain the LiPo down to 1.6v.

Anyways, the ThunderPower 160 25c weighs 4.03g and fits nicely. The Hyperion 160 25c is 4.88g and is 6.5mm longer than most of the other 160mAh LiPo's I have. So I don't use it much personally.

I am thinking of possibly going back to 1.30mAh LiPo to save on the weight.

The 9958 has about 42g of lift from the main motor. The heli weighs in at a hefty 27.5g or so. That means, every little bit of weight increase makes the motor essentially "weaker" overall. The hobbyking batteries are so cheap that you can simply fly two back to back for about the same time as the 300mAh pack...yet still maintain the flight performance of the heli.

-Daryoon

ps. I still haven't shown my Solo Pro RX 9958. I would convert my fleet to Solo Pro RX considering each RX cost $23. Versus the mSR at $60 for one freaking RX. Unfortunately, the Solo Pro doesn't have any nice programmable TX. That's why the Walkerized 9958 is a interesting project.
Last edited by Daryoon; Oct 05, 2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 12:30 PM
Indoor RC Hotdog
Joined Aug 2011
270 Posts
I forgot to mention what nice flying that was in the video Daryoon. Looks like you're getting slow, level flight down well. Can't wait to get a REAL charger so I won't have to wait 3 hours between 10 minute flights.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 12:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,701 Posts
Daryoon and others, regarding killing Lipos, I take it that the Solo Pro, and probably the 9958, does not have a LVC circuit that prevents the Lipo to drop below certain voltage? Or do they have a LVC that limits the ESC but does not cut current and the battery continues to slow drain as long as it is plugged in?

I'm asking the question because I have not even reached LVC, I think. I don't know if there is a LVC in my 9958 to cut ESC when it is reached, and what that behavior would look like.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:19 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,572 Posts
dafremen: Thanks. I couldn't let loose because there was much room to fly and still be within the frame of the video. It's been so long since I flew a stock bird, it's kindda shocking how much sliding there is. It serve to remind me of why I did all the upgrades in the first place. Now, it's a matter of figuring out which upgrade is most worthwhile to do.

Heli Pad: Only the mSR has a LVC that I know of. All the other birds, you can tell when it's time to land. After I landed in the last video, I checked the voltage and it was 3.76v. So it was good. I think I got about 5mins. You didn't see the part where I was trimming it, that's why each flight wasn't too long before I had to land.

You haven't really flown your 9958. I can tell because it was in pristine conditions. Needs some battle scars. But I guess it's true to your motto..."Against Helicopter Cruelty"
Old Oct 05, 2011, 04:04 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,701 Posts
Oops, was it that obvious? I used to blame the fact that I only have one stock battery. But good news, my batteries order arrived today. So, there is no excuse not to practice some more.

Just to be clear everyone, my motto has nothing to do with sensible mods, normal use, and inevitable crashes. I got upset when I saw some excessive mods on some helicopters - usually due to an obsession for speed and weight loss - to the point where the helicopter doesn't look like a helicopter, but a flying corpse. That's when I have a problem and I'm against helicopter cruelty, mutilation, etc. I understand that fixing, modifying, upgrading is part of the hobby, and I respect those motivations.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:21 PM
Indoor RC Hotdog
Joined Aug 2011
270 Posts
I've been waiting ALL DAY LONG for this auction to end so I could tell you folks about it:

Name: EFlite_Charger_Ebay.jpg
Views: 204
Size: 99.6 KB
Description:

$4.99 SHIPPED for a Celectra Variable Rate Charger WITH Wall Wart Power Supply!

I'll be doing 2 Batteries in parallel at 2C with the charger on .7A charge rate. 30 minutes for 10 minutes fly times is a MUCH better return.

Still waiting for a REAL charger to come along. Found one for $20 with free shipping, but we had to sink too much into inventory this week, so the $5 deal will have to do. (I'm very happy to have gotten it. )

Helicopters have a way of getting into your head; of sending your senses on sabbatical until one day you wake up at the bottom of your third bottle, wondering what exactly went awry and at exactly which moment you finally lost control,

daf
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:26 PM
Indoor RC Hotdog
Joined Aug 2011
270 Posts
P.S. The advanced charger for $20 shipped is here:

Imax B6 LiPo Charger $20.99 Shipped
Last edited by dafremen; Oct 05, 2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,701 Posts
Good bidding, Daf.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 10:41 PM
MicroHeliPilot III
Florida
Joined Aug 2010
150 Posts
Got my new tail motor solder in today, not as hard as I thought it might be. Hard to tell if it is my horrible skills or the chopper but itis really hard to hover now, tried to trim it out a bit but..... Daryoon you said you got yours inverted? how did you do that? can you hover that way (i assume not) Thanks!

as far as Helicopter Cruelty goes, the kids have broke my 1.5 year old s107 so many times that stripped it clean, no bent skids no braces removed the weights from the flybar..its so freaking fast now..is that cruelty ? > im sure the 7 year old flying it into the ceiling fan and shooting it across the house at 60 mph is amazing how durable those things are
FreakFlow is offline Find More Posts by FreakFlow