HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:59 AM
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopcat View Post
I also put the order on July 1st as guest and only after, I registered a new account on Focalprice, so can't see the heli in my order list.
But they e-mailed me they would shipped it asap.
Update: I received a reply from Focalprice, my order has been shipped un july 2nd (as Donaldsneffe....) and should arrive in 5-10 days
helicopcat is offline Find More Posts by helicopcat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:48 AM
Argentina, Buenos Aires, Mar del Plata
Joined Jul 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFMeouch View Post
I ordered my GW 9958 from focalprice on 28/6/11, but to date, status is still "packing".
My Focalprice Order From 30/06/2011 shipped today.

The Order from MyRCmart still shows as "processing" y hope it ships before weekend.

So they will arrive in at least 20 days to my home in Argentina.
Saveyourskin is offline Find More Posts by Saveyourskin
Old Jul 09, 2011, 03:03 AM
Joined Jan 2008
35 Posts
Mine arrived today, but the battery is missing from the box!!! I am going to send an email to focalprice now. What a way to lift my spirits and drop it back down
xypher is offline Find More Posts by xypher
Old Jul 09, 2011, 03:05 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xypher View Post
Mine arrived today, but the battery is missing from the box!!! I am going to send an email to focalprice now. What a way to lift my spirits and drop it back down
Don't have any compatible battery handy? If I understand well, mSR compatible batteries should work.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Jul 09, 2011, 03:09 AM
Joined Jan 2008
35 Posts
This is my first R/C heli so I do not have any parts. However, I ordered some spare batts from HobbyK**g on the same day I ordered my 9958 from FP. I should get the spare batts on monday or tuesday latest.

Can I send an email to FP and explain that they left out the battery?
xypher is offline Find More Posts by xypher
Old Jul 09, 2011, 04:00 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xypher View Post
This is my first R/C heli so I do not have any parts. However, I ordered some spare batts from HobbyK**g on the same day I ordered my 9958 from FP. I should get the spare batts on monday or tuesday latest.

Can I send an email to FP and explain that they left out the battery?
You can send that mail, and in fact, you should. It's their mistake the battery is missing, so they should fix it.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:02 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Mine arrived today. Just opened her up and put the battery on charge. Everything looks and feels pretty solid. I'll post a preliminary flight review a little later on and follow it up with a thorough mini-review.

Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:39 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Just had a quick first flight:

Weighed the heli with battery: 32.4g

First flight lasted approx 6 minutes, had more power left but didn't want to push it.

The first thing that I noticed is how smooth and quiet it is, MUCH softer sounding than a Solo Pro. The range of the servos is full and they are quite lively, in the sense that they respond well and move fast.

The TX feels nice, it's larger than I expected which I liked. There's a dual rates mode which can be activated by pressing down on the left throttle stick. Trim buttons emit a beeping sound when pressed. The pitch of the beep increases as you apply more trim and a double beep seems to indicate the end of trim. Not sure if there's a midpoint indicator.

It's fast, but not as responsive as a Solo Pro. There seems to be a lot of momentum with the 9958, when it starts going you really have to hit the brakes to bring it to a stop, it's similar to my CB100 in that regard. In fact, many things about the 9958 felt similar to the CB100 in flight.

Mine has a slight backwards drift and elevator trim is already at the full forwards position, so looks like I need to adjust the linkage. Also noticed that there's a tiny bit of vertical movement in the shaft, so before my next flight I will loosen the collar and push the shaft up and then re-tighten.

It's stable in hover but I couldn't achieve a hands free hover, had some drift which I will need to adjust the linkages to eliminate.

Pirouettes are pretty balanced, not super fast and not super slow. Tail holds well, with only minor kick out on full throttle punches.

It has decent power and speed, it climbs well.

Can't seem to get the knack of cornering just yet, I am way too used to my Solo Pro. The tail kept on slipping in turns, so I think more aileron is needed.

Took the canopy off. Everything looks well constructed and feels solid. The battery is a loose fit which I don't like, but this is easily rectified.

Initial impressions are quite positive. For the price, I received a lot more performance than I expected. I'll be keeping this one.

More to come...
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:54 PM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
422 Posts
while looking for some parts, saw that it's listed at myrcmart for $29.99
http://www.myrcmart.com/gw-great-wal...pg076rhlnoi465
adrenahelin is offline Find More Posts by adrenahelin
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:59 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
That's where I got mine from, MyRcMart. In Australian dollars it's $27.

Took it outside for the second flight, just so I would have more room. This thing is fast, it's faster than a Solo Pro, it's just not as responsive. I still can't work out how to achieve controlled banked turns. I can't get it to bite into a turn and bank.

I might take a video to show you what I mean.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:25 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Quick word of warning, the USB charging cable does not have a voltage cut-off. I was wondering why the stock battery was so big, it's because the voltage cut-off circuit is built into the battery.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:03 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
The video isn't very good, I only have a low end digital camera that was strapped to a hat. You probably can't see much of what's going on, sorry. It was windy out, the 9958 handled it well. I was only using 1/4 to 1/2 stick movements here, gives you an idea of how fast this heli is.

9958 outdoor flight (3 min 18 sec)

After spending more time with this heli, I think the best way to describe it is as a mixture of a CB100 and MSR. It does have a mild pendulum effect, like the MSR, and the weight makes it slide around a lot, like the CB100.

It takes a bit of finesse with the sticks to control this heli. I find the Solo Pro easier to control due to its responsiveness.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:03 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,902 Posts
Nice speed indeed, shame about the lower responsivess. I'm in doubt about this heli. It's looks like it's great value for money, but not sure if it will be more fun to fly than the Solo Pro. I have a 3 channel heli that shares some traits with this one, it's fast, but not good at cornering, and as a result I don't fly it very often. I'm afraid it might go the same way with this one...
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jul 12, 2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:11 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
I'm still struggling to obtain nice turns. It just won't bank in a controlled manner like the SP does. Indoors, I've found that I need to use back elevator a lot just to keep it in control, whereas with my SP I can zip it around at full forwards elevator knowing that if I need to turn sharp and fast, the SP is up to the task.

Battery life is amazing. I can reach 7 minutes before the tail starts showing signs of fatigue. It's powerful, fast, smooth and quiet, it just doesn't corner nicely and it tends to TBE in hover. I imagine it would feel very similar to your Trex 100, just less responsive. If you've flown an MSR or CB100 you will feel right at home with the 9958.

A few more notes:

- There are no safety features on this heli. I.e. if you power up with the throttle stick raised, the heli will spin up and take-off. If you turn off the TX whilst flying the heli will continue to fly.

Holding down the left throttle stick whilst powering on the TX invokes the binding process.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:12 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
The video isn't very good, I only have a low end digital camera that was strapped to a hat. You probably can't see much of what's going on, sorry. It was windy out, the 9958 handled it well. I was only using 1/4 to 1/2 stick movements here, gives you an idea of how fast this heli is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkFG4mzgDEU

After spending more time with this heli, I think the best way to describe it is as a mixture of a CB100 and MSR. It does have a mild pendulum effect, like the MSR, and the weight makes it slide around a lot, like the CB100.

It takes a bit of finesse with the sticks to control this heli. I find the Solo Pro easier to control due to its responsiveness.
Any kind of mod or compatible MSR parts that would help make it more responsive?
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol