HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:14 PM
Joined Jan 2013
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
You are welcome. If your detached antenna wire is still in good shape, you could reuse it. Otherwise, you could make one yourself. It's just a multi-strand wire as far as I could tell. You want to get the length of the wire as close to 3cm as you can. That's 1/4 wavelength for 2.4GHz transmission.
Thank you again, HeliPad. I soldered in a new wire, 3cm long, and was able to clear the hole to get a nice strong bond. It helped a little.. now I have about a three foot range. I'm attaching two pics; both are annotated closeups of the antenna area of the board. Once is my board with the antenna removed for clarity and the other is a portion of the pic you posted; same basic area of each. Although, at this magnifaction, clarity suffers, it looks like mine is missing a jumper and something else compared to the pic you posted. Is it? Can you tell?

Ideas?

Barry
musechaserpilot is offline Find More Posts by musechaserpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:32 PM
Joined May 2011
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Most of these chinese clones have too much expo for my taste. I usally dial in negative expo to compensate.

On the v949, I have -80 for AIL and ELV. On the X1, I have -100 and wish for -150 or so. Waaaaay too much expo.

What's the result? The 9958 with a T9x is a good combo. You need more twitchiness? Do some of my mods. I have a 9958 that taught me to be able to pick up a brushless CP for the first time and fly it.
I just received a msr paddle flybar and installed it, and I must say, it's like night and day. The heli now response to very small stick movements and seems to be much faster going forwards and backwards.(more twitchy) This is probably not good for beginners because the loss of stability, but great for guys with more experience. The heli is now much more responsive, faster and probably more wind resistant.
mugen 1 is offline Find More Posts by mugen 1
Last edited by mugen 1; Feb 02, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:36 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,242 Posts
Yup. Combine with a longer swashplate balls and the 9958 becomes even better.

As far as stability..I think it's plenty stable with the mods. But much more agile as well. A better bird overall.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:36 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by musechaserpilot View Post
Thank you again, HeliPad. I soldered in a new wire, 3cm long, and was able to clear the hole to get a nice strong bond. It helped a little.. now I have about a three foot range. I'm attaching two pics; both are annotated closeups of the antenna area of the board. Once is my board with the antenna removed for clarity and the other is a portion of the pic you posted; same basic area of each. Although, at this magnifaction, clarity suffers, it looks like mine is missing a jumper and something else compared to the pic you posted. Is it? Can you tell?

Ideas?

Barry
Barry, That's hard to say. The two pictures are from two different times revisions. You could tell that things have changed. Therefore, one cannot inform another. I looked at the 9958s that I have and they all have a glob of white glue covering the area, securing the antenna. I simply can't have a good look. Even if I remove the glue, we may not have the same Rev. There are a handful of SMD resistors, capacitors, and inductors in that area of the board. I don't think that they are jumpers.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:52 PM
Joined May 2011
424 Posts
Quote:
Yup. Combine with a longer swashplate balls and the 9958 becomes even better.

As far as stability..I think it's plenty stable with the mods. But much more agile as well. A better bird overall.
Longer swash plate balls? I also cut holes in the tail fin, which seems to help stability.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen 1 View Post
Longer swash plate balls? I also cut holes in the tail fin, which seems to help stability.
Yup, check out my blog on that topic. I would preface that by saying I like Daryoon's approach (using Solo Pro's swash and custom main shaft) better. But I think my blog would inform you the basic understanding of the "longer balls".
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:27 PM
Joined May 2011
424 Posts
Quote:
Yup, check out my blog on that topic. I would preface that by saying I like Daryoon's approach (using Solo Pro's swash and custom main shaft) better. But I think my blog would inform you the basic understanding of the "longer balls".
Interesting mod, but are there any draw-backs? Does it effect durability? How does the tail handle steeper swash-plate angles?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,361 Posts
I went this route because I don't know how to custom make CF shafts, plus I wanted to investigate a mod that does not require custom shafts, so others could also do. But my double decker separated on a hard crash. Daryoon made CF shafts for me and I have since abandoned my own mod. I suppose if you glued the swashes together well, they will last a long time. It doesn't bother the tail at all, as this mod only affects the swash and the angle of the rotors. It has nothing to do with tail holding. It illustrates well, what longer swash balls could do for the 9958.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:55 AM
Weltherrschaft will be mine
Germany, SN, Leipzig
Joined Nov 2012
266 Posts
9958 best micro fp and moddable as hell

Hello together... I m following this thread for nearly 2 years now, since I got my first 9958. Daryoon, helipad and several others do a great job!!!

I copied some mods from here and developed some own:
1. Daryoons shrinktube mod at the tailboom is a must, I additionally lead the exposed wire trou athin silikone tubing whitch itself is partially enclosed in a ring of shrink tube around the tail motors end. My tail motors die of exhaustion, not bcause cut wires...
2.Motors. I changed both motors against the v911 motors, they seem to have higher rpm. this gives me more power and more flight time, and the tail holds a lot better. bravo sx motors do the same, but are more expensive.
3.Swashplate. I use the helios 100 swash, same ball size but two sets of arms, fisheye... but you have to shorten the main axis for 3mm and drill new holes(look daryoons hacksmods page..) and you have to cut of the two guiding pins on the frame and glue on v911 pins set about 3mm back.
4. flybar. I widened the eye of the flybar afew micrometrs so I could make some shrinktube around the main shaft, where the flybar rides on. Now the feeling of iceskating is not completly gone, but the heli is more precise!
5. light. added a little diode (white, harvestet from cheapo 3channel heli) via a micro jst plug. the plug is soldered to the battery cables solderjoints(dunno if thats right, but it works). Now while nightflying my canopy is illuminatet and good visible.

These are my must do mods, qite simple, but effective. Even the laziest is advised to do at least the shrinktube mods, they enhance performance and durability
borkencorter is offline Find More Posts by borkencorter
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:28 AM
Joined May 2011
424 Posts
Are there pictures of this shrink tube mod?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:22 PM
Joined Jan 2013
57 Posts
Tenergy 3.7v 169mAh question

I just bought two Tenergy 3.7v 160 mAh 15C batteries to use with my now almost-rangeless 9558 (I can still practice hovering). I charged one of them to 4.2v using the black charging cable included with the 9958. I watched it carefully as I was charging it; the light never went out, but the battery started to feel warm so disconnected it and measured the voltage. It was charged to 4.2v, which I believe is the target.

Here's the thing.. I can fly for about 15 to 30 seconds before the throttle runs out of enough juice to keep the heli airborne. Even though it won't lift the heli off the ground, it still reads 4v. What's going on? The 9958 still flies for the usual five or more minutes on the fully charged stock battery.

I have one more additional tenergy 160mah, but I'm afraid to try it. Did I ruin the first one by using the black cable?

Oh... I ended up completely hosing the antenna attachment point on the board by messing around there too much with my way-to-big soldering tip. Anybody got a spare board? <Grin>

Barry
musechaserpilot is offline Find More Posts by musechaserpilot
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:55 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by musechaserpilot View Post
I just bought two Tenergy 3.7v 160 mAh 15C batteries to use with my now almost-rangeless 9558 (I can still practice hovering). I charged one of them to 4.2v using the black charging cable included with the 9958. I watched it carefully as I was charging it; the light never went out, but the battery started to feel warm so disconnected it and measured the voltage. It was charged to 4.2v, which I believe is the target.

Here's the thing.. I can fly for about 15 to 30 seconds before the throttle runs out of enough juice to keep the heli airborne. Even though it won't lift the heli off the ground, it still reads 4v. What's going on? The 9958 still flies for the usual five or more minutes on the fully charged stock battery.

I have one more additional tenergy 160mah, but I'm afraid to try it. Did I ruin the first one by using the black cable?

Oh... I ended up completely hosing the antenna attachment point on the board by messing around there too much with my way-to-big soldering tip. Anybody got a spare board? <Grin>

Barry
You are in need of a trip to your nearest Harbor Freight and China.

I would start a grocery list of things you are going to need.
1) a less than 100 watt pencil type soldering iron, (the dream would to have a rheostat type controller)
2) good solder, it may be bad for your brain and bad for the environment, but lead is till best in solder (60/40 rosin core if you can find it, without the rosin core, you may need some soldering flux to make sure the solder melts into or onto the wires and circuit board before frying the board)
3) You should have a good charger, or at least one that does better than what you are using. These can go from pretty cheap to very expensive, but look at the battery forum threads to learn more than I can explain. I've got a couple of those little USB cable chargers for some quadcopters and at least one of them is doing something wrong because I had one battery almost burst and it was hot! while trying to charge it. I do not trust them anymore.
4) You really still don't know if the batteries are messed up or a motor. You might be able to tell by noting which gets hot first when you try to run the chopper. Since both motors and batteries are pretty cheap, I would get some of each. (soldering with a new fine tip iron will help here)
5) You should probably just order another chopper another 9958 would be fine and would make troubleshooting parts from one to the other much easier.
6) If you really think you messed up that board order another along with the motors (tail and main), batteries, and main rotor blades if you don't have more than 2 spares now.

It's all fun, but if you crash and or have problems, it's nice to have a few basic parts available so you're not waiting for a slow boat from China all the time.

John in Merrill

PS if this is still the heli with the mainboard antenna repair hatchet job, Replace the board! It looks like you have solder all over at least one if not more of the tiny SMD's on the board. Perfect flight may never be a possibility for that board. It's only $13.99 Right now at Banggood.comhttp://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Re...r-p-41990.html
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Last edited by jgestner; Feb 04, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:30 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,242 Posts
You hosed your Ternergy battery unfortunately. The 9958 cable relies on the overcharge circuit built into each 9958 cell to stop charging.

When a LiPO gets damaged, it's internal resistance goes up. Under load, it won't provide enough voltage. Take the load away and it'll still read more than enough volts to fly the Heli.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:57 AM
Weltherrschaft will be mine
Germany, SN, Leipzig
Joined Nov 2012
266 Posts
ATM I dont have apic of my shrinktube mod, have just a808 digicam and my internet at home is borken.... but I Try to explain. you cut of 6mm of shrinktube( diameter a little bigger than 4mm, 5mm is perfekt). Now you take your heli, take of blades, rotorhead and flybar. Then you slide on the shrinktube, after bthat you check if tge rotorhead stil fits, if not shorten the tube. now you fix the tube on the mainshaft by heating. If the flybar doesnt fit, widen the eye, but carefull, you need a tight fit. The fb should tether freely, but not more. the tighter the fit, the less ice skating....

I hope you understand, I try to post pics asap
borkencorter is offline Find More Posts by borkencorter
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:33 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined May 2012
91 Posts
Just a quick post, then back to catching up...

Quote:
Welcome to the 9958 thread. You might find the companion reference thread useful as well.

Getting right to your question. No. The FrSky module won't work with you HK-190. The HK-190 is a rebranded GW-9958, which uses the FlySky module. AFAIK, HK does not carry it. I've seen it on eBay (but not now). So, I'm sorry, even if the 9XR comes back in stock, you won't have a compatible module to fly your HK-190 with.

What you need is the Turnigy 9x, with the built-in FlySky module. With this there is nothing else to buy.

Now, you might be into the 9XR for certain reasons that I am not aware of, but if you get the 9XR, you must find a compatible module before you could do anything with it.
Quote:
@ridgerunner

Here's the FlySky module you'll need. It'll plug right into your 9XR and be able to bind up with your Heli.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251181887708

It's only $21 + a couple bucks for shipping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtodust2000 View Post

Thanks for the quick feedback on my 9XR question. I decided to cancel my 9XR order and get the older style 9X instead (its currently in stock in the USA warehouse with module and 8ch receiver for $65 plus shipping.) Although the 9XR appears to have some improvements over the 9X (better POTs, switches and ball bearing gimbals), it is not yet well proven and who knows how long the back order wait would be. The 9XR also does not come standard with the module needed and the antenna is on the back (rather than up on top) - seems like it would be prone to damage on the back of the TX when you set it down.

I've got lots more I'd like to say on this 9958 topic, but being OCD to the max, I feel as though I need to read the whole thread before I make any comments. I spent the entire weekend reading this thread and I'm now up to page 304 (only 170 more pages to go!) - I did the same thing over on the nanoCPX thread last week.

But I will say one thing now - Thanks a bunch to Daryoon and HeliPad! (and daf and others as well) for all their tireless and continuing efforts towards the promotion of this great little heli! (and the laugh-out-loud occasional humor as well! - especially daf's heli-isms - "RC helicopters -is there anything they can't do?")

p.s. Anyone try out the 9928 yet? (I'm curious what parts are interchangeable with the 9958) I'll find out when my order from MyRcMart shows up (hopefully in a couple weeks or less).

Thanks again guys!

Now where was I... (thats right - back to page 304 for the continuing saga...)
ridgerunr is offline Find More Posts by ridgerunr