HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:32 PM
TREX 450, HK-250GT, Nano CPX
United States, FL, Crestview
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Been doing lots of reading in these forums and have found some good info. I have a question that I either have not found the answer for, or have simply missed it...

Got my 9958 several weeks ago and after setting it up got used to flying it and had lots of fun. A few crashes aside that is! Anyways... lately it seemed that the heli did not have enough power to keep flying for more than 2 minutes, and dwindled down a bit from there even, So I figured the battery may be dying and I ordered 2 x 160mah batteries with charger. Got them charged up and took it on a flight and found there was really no change. Heli just will not stay in the air long. I thought maybe I would switch back to all stock (had the mcx blades and head, and msr flybar) but no difference. Any idea what is going on here? Could the main motor be going bad already?
gtirob01 is online now Find More Posts by gtirob01
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:44 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtirob01 View Post
Been doing lots of reading in these forums and have found some good info. I have a question that I either have not found the answer for, or have simply missed it...

Got my 9958 several weeks ago and after setting it up got used to flying it and had lots of fun. A few crashes aside that is! Anyways... lately it seemed that the heli did not have enough power to keep flying for more than 2 minutes, and dwindled down a bit from there even, So I figured the battery may be dying and I ordered 2 x 160mah batteries with charger. Got them charged up and took it on a flight and found there was really no change. Heli just will not stay in the air long. I thought maybe I would switch back to all stock (had the mcx blades and head, and msr flybar) but no difference. Any idea what is going on here? Could the main motor be going bad already?
Most likely. Is it running hot? A failed motor will draw a lot of current from the battery.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:15 AM
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
Preflight/MX

A proper preflight/mx along with some patience will eliminate most/all TBE. During crashes and normal flight heli's rattle themselves loose. Another culprit of TBE is out of balance/bent parts. Any heli specially those with a balance bar can have some form of TBE.

On the Xieda things to check on a normal preflight:

1. Blades check for tightness and ensure they move VERY freely for pitch changes. Ensure there is very little almost zero movement from the blades against the head. (where the blade pins go into the head)
a. When doing this check all linkages as you move the blades.
b. Balance bar ensure the screws are both tight or if you have a balance problem you can loosen one side slightly to balance the heli (trial and error to figure out which side)

2. Pull the tailboom out far enough to ensure the front portion of the tailboom is not squishing the tail motor wires and you can barely see the boom protruding from the frame.
a. Do the same at the motor end

3. Do a quick parts and general condition look over to catch anything that might be out of the ordinary.

4. Prepare for takeoff by finding a LEVEL surface ensure the helicopter does not move when you plug it in or the gyro will favor that direction. My method is to have the battery in and balanced, hold both sides of the frame with one hand to keep it still while gently plugging it in. (this little guys seems to have a very sensitive gyro)

I have some batteries that are hard to plug in and its hard not to move the heli when plugging them in so what I do is the same method only try to get the connector on just gently and far enough to power up the gyro and rx (red light blinks) once it binds then get it on the rest of the way as you dont have to worry as much about movement.
a. servo check- run them through to ensure they are moving freely

5. Quick hover being a FP ground effect can induce some strange anomalies. Throttle up halfway or just above half way and get her into at least a 2ft hover and then use your controls to center any induced drift from liftoff and wait for the "recycled air" to dissipate.

You will notice the difference if the heli is balanced properly you will slowly be able to release all your corrections and the heli will stay in place. *If anything is out of spec you should be able to tell in this step and take her back to the bench safely for repairs.

6. Fly the bolts off !
CrazyLegsFE is offline Find More Posts by CrazyLegsFE
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:18 AM
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
+1 to Heli Pad I had the same issue and it was a failed main motor. These things run way out of spec and therefore wear out quickly. In order to prolong the life perform a proper brushed motor breakin. And avoid abrupt throttle conditions and full throttle should be avoided the first run up on a new motor. There are some good brushed motor tips/tricks/mx on this forum.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:24 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,638 Posts
Swapping out a motor isn't too bad but it does require a little more work since it's soldered to the main board. The easiest thing to do if you don't want to solder in a new one to the mainboard is to cut the motor wires at about 1/2 length and then solder a new motor to those wires (make sure to properly insulate the spliced connections).

Or, if you were feeling like adding a plug, you could get a MSR motor from your local hobby shop( more expensive...) and then get the right kind of plug from this place:

http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=204

and solder this plug to the wires connected to the mainboard and then you have a plug. Of course, this is clearly the most expensive route and really only worth it if you expect to burn out motors left and right ($$$!!!)

Probably best just to solder in a new 9958 motor as they're cheaper--assuming you can get one w/o having to go to a chinese vendor like MyRCMart.com or banggood.com (though shipping is often free from banggood....)

Good luck!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:47 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,488 Posts
My two 9958's have held up to alot of crashes and still going strong. Broke two blades so far and ordered a few extras. They fly better on hi rates as low rates alierons are much to slow. It is slightly fast and more agile than V911. That said its hard to beat the V911 for all around user friendly heli. With both I can take off and land on lid of coffee can. While no big thing several months ago that did not happen. My goal in future is landing my Genius c/p/ Mcpx on the ceiling inverted.!! That is going to be many, many, more flight packs being used. The other day I had so many chargers going my wife thought I put up Christmas lites in my hobby room. Mostly red but few greens. Solo-pro charger goes green as T-Rex also goes green. Quite impressive when all going.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined Oct 2012
45 Posts
I was searching a BNF version of 9958, but never found one. Yesterday, i found this site :
http://www.feala.com/great-wall-9958...9958-parts.htm
BNF 9958! what do you think? anyone bought anything from this site?
ikarous is offline Find More Posts by ikarous
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:17 AM
v922, mini, genius,mcp, v450D0
United States, MN, Le Sueur
Joined Nov 2012
1,128 Posts
That is some great info. I have been holding mine upside down or at what ever angle it happened to be in. I will begin to do this with the 9958s as well as my 911s. So much to learn for an oldster getting into this as a newbie
jack herr is online now Find More Posts by jack herr
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Thank you guys, it does sound like the main motor is going out. And now that I think about it, I did smell an electrical burning type of smell coming from the heli. Now it would appear the motor is the culprit.

I think I will go with the stock motor to begin with, then properly break it in! Soldering is no problem, I am an auto mechanic and solder wires often!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Quick update... Did some searching and found a replacement motor on ebay for $4.59 plus $2.46 shipping. Good thing is... the seller is in the U.S. so i will not have to wait for something from Hong Kong!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
Nice! I bought mine from Focalprice seen here : http://www.focalprice.com/YE760X/SAN...l#.UM47-W_Ad8E

I bought 3 of them so the were 3.65 a piece I also bought a bunch of other parts in the event I need em'. 27 bucks and I can almost build another one! Bummer was about a month to get here at least it was free shipping!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:33 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,638 Posts
YOu can also get motors from www.xheli.com and www.nitroplanes.com The shipping is kind of a pain though. You might have found a better deal there, gtirob01.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:40 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,165 Posts
Xheli is $5/motor + $4.95 shipping. I'd go with that eBay (100% rating) deal.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
I've been flying this Helicopter in it's "Heliguy Atom FP" branding for a little while now, and I'm starting to wonder if there is any periodic maintenance that's recommended. Changes that I've seen are ..
(1) Irregular "catches" in the motor note, accompanied by a wag of the tail, as if the motor power was faltering. Saturday morning it was happening at intervals of maybe 0.5 to three seconds, with both batteries. I've cleaned the main gear and it seems to be better, maybe even fixed now.
(2) Continuous drift in trim always in the same direction. It's really noticeable now I'm using my normal transmitter where trim is retained and I can see the values. Rudder trim is now up to 16% to the left, but it needs to be increased now and again. Same with cyclic trim, I keep needing to lengthen the roll link a bit more, then a few days later more still, and shorten the pitch link.
(3) Some hesitation in the servo movement, particularly pitch, it moves in a series of jerks while I slowly move the stick, particularly around the centre and right at the end.

Do these things sound fixable, or is the thing wearing out?

The drift in trim is particularly concerning, I'm going to run out of travel on the swash soon, let alone the servos ... this is the neutral position now ..

Thanks, Tony S
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:16 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarous View Post
I was searching a BNF version of 9958, but never found one. Yesterday, i found this site :
http://www.feala.com/great-wall-9958...9958-parts.htm
BNF 9958! what do you think? anyone bought anything from this site?
Their BNF price is almost that of current RTF prices. For example..
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/F0175...662620661.html
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter