HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:24 PM
We can rebuild it!
djdavies83's Avatar
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
I had one that flew GREAT. Took a whole day of nothing but setting it up mecanical trim at full battery.

I had it down to hovinging with no TBE but yet on a dime. Then I became a victum of the up up and away.

Now I have the tx and no heli, unless I bind it to one of my son's 9958.
I have a spare Tx donated by a nice guy who had the same "fly away home" (back to china) problem.

You could always get a BNF V911, if your ok with a soldering iron it's not hard to mod the 9958 Tx so that the sticks are in the right order, I've used my spare 9958 Tx to control my DIY 2.4ghz S026 chinook tandem coax, I'll be moddin my Tx for the proper channel assignments soon so I'll do a tutorial on it.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:06 PM
GOT WINGS
siriusflier's Avatar
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,423 Posts
I got what could be considered a BNF 9958 from X-Heli several months ago. I also got a bnf S107 from them...BUT, they advertise the 9958 and the S107 helis for parts only and say no electronic parts are included. So they are not really supposed to be BNFs, I just got lucky, and I would not order one expecting to get a working heli. I actually just ordered them for parts, and was pleasantly surprised to recieve working helis.

And I never have used any parts off either of them, they are still flyable.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Last edited by siriusflier; Dec 10, 2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: add
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:20 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Just ordered one of these 9958s and looking forward to flying this! Will be my first 4ch and I can't wait for the step up, anyway.. I like to tinker around and have very much enjoyed all the modding that people have done so far... On a scale of 1-10 how important would you say modding this heli is for performance?
Batman93 is offline Find More Posts by Batman93
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:30 PM
Registered User
flydown's Avatar
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman93 View Post
Just ordered one of these 9958s and looking forward to flying this! Will be my first 4ch and I can't wait for the step up, anyway.. I like to tinker around and have very much enjoyed all the modding that people have done so far... On a scale of 1-10 how important would you say modding this heli is for performance?
Have not modded mine at all and it flies just fine. I do not feel any mods are necessary unless you like to fiddle with it.
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:44 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
RoboHeli's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
Have not modded mine at all and it flies just fine. I do not feel any mods are necessary unless you like to fiddle with it.
And how!

I just finished my first frankencopter where I put a V911 TX RX onto a 9958 body. I put my favorite two mods on it, the MSR flybar and Bravo SX tail, and then worked hard to try to get the canopy to fit. I stayed with a 9958 canopy and I just extended it forward by drilling new top holes and then taping some clear plastic pieces to the bottom that reached back to the canopy mounting pins. It's not all that pretty (I just used scotch tape to secure it) but it works well enough and it's certainly interesting to fly.

Thanks to Daryoon and Brosol for the inspiration to try this one out.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RoboHeli; Dec 12, 2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Er... it was RX not TX that I attached to a 9958 mainframe
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:46 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
RoboHeli's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman93 View Post
Just ordered one of these 9958s and looking forward to flying this! Will be my first 4ch and I can't wait for the step up, anyway.. I like to tinker around and have very much enjoyed all the modding that people have done so far... On a scale of 1-10 how important would you say modding this heli is for performance?
Well, the first thing you really need to do is to learn to fly it and fly it well. It's been my experience that if someone starts to tinker with the heli too much at the start, they risk messing something up and not knowing what it's like to fly it "stock" first.

That being said, a simple mod you can make that I feel helps the heli a bit when banking left or right is to put a MSR flybar onto it. That's a simple drop-in replacement and you can go back to stock just as easily.

Enjoy!!!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:01 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
And how!

I just finished my first frankencopter where I put a V911 TX onto a 9958 body. I put my favorite two mods on it, the MSR flybar and Bravo SX tail, and then worked hard to try to get the canopy to fit. I stayed with a 9958 canopy and I just extended it forward by drilling new top holes and then taping some clear plastic pieces to the bottom that reached back to the canopy mounting pins. It's not all that pretty (I just used scotch tape to secure it) but it works well enough and it's certainly interesting to fly.

Thanks to Daryoon and Brosol for the inspiration to try this one out.
Pretty sure you meant V911 RX. That's something that I want to try some day.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:18 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
RoboHeli's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Pretty sure you meant V911 RX. That's something that I want to try some day.
LOL. Yes that's what I meant (corrected above). I was up kind of late messing with the canopy mounting struts so you'll have to excuse my incoherence. Admittedly, now that I think about it, it would be easier to attach the TX to the mainframe. Just use tape and you're done.

It flies pretty well. I had to shorten the elevator link even further than the aileron link but it's okay. There's a little bit of a tail wag as I can hear the V911 RX adjusting the speed of the Bravo SX tail rotor. If I used a V911 tail boom and motor, I may have had a smoother tail. Of course, it might just be the difference in the main motor speed as well. There's a bit of yaw drift but nothing that is noticeable unless I'm just hovering it right in front of my face.

I think I'll try gluing the plastic canopy struts to the canopy itself rather than using tape but I'll probably wait until I've had more of a chance to test fly it. It was kind of a neat experiment and it does work pretty well overall.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:25 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Well, the first thing you really need to do is to learn to fly it and fly it well. It's been my experience that if someone starts to tinker with the heli too much at the start, they risk messing something up and not knowing what it's like to fly it "stock" first.

That being said, a simple mod you can make that I feel helps the heli a bit when banking left or right is to put a MSR flybar onto it. That's a simple drop-in replacement and you can go back to stock just as easily.

Enjoy!!!
Sounds like great advice thanks, what a great forum here! Ill take your advice on and master to the best of my ability then look at making improvements where I see fit, looking forward to my first 4ch flight, after being on a sim and flying little 3chs I am really looking forward to a bit more complexity... Thanks guys
Batman93 is offline Find More Posts by Batman93
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:40 PM
I love MOD! & WALKERA & V911!
KKDDMM's Avatar
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Jan 2012
336 Posts
I've got #9968 yesterday.

She is very good!
and can bind with 9X.
You should better try this.
I recommend this heli to you.

see my page
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1789011
KKDDMM is offline Find More Posts by KKDDMM
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:56 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKDDMM View Post
She is very good!
and can bind with 9X.
You should better try this.
I recommend this heli to you.

see my page
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1789011
Interesting how Xieda changed to the V911 flybar set up for this one ... looks like that is somehow superior to the 9958 flybar principle ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:07 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
Stock blades breaking

I have been flying with the stock blades and have not pulled the trigger and done the MSR setup yet. After about 5 sets of blades I started trying to find a way to keep these blades from breaking so easily. What I came up with is small washers-- built with a razor blade and some small heat shrink. Make them just wide enough to take up the slack. If you make them to big you will know right away as it will dampen all blade movement!

While I don't think this an end all for broke blade pins it has definitely helped. It seems to absorb impact shock hence saving me a few sets of blades. I broke my skids after clipping a wall full speed into the ground ... and the blades survived. So far so good figured I would share. Happy flying all!
CrazyLegsFE is offline Find More Posts by CrazyLegsFE
Last edited by CrazyLegsFE; Dec 15, 2012 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:11 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
RoboHeli's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLegsFE View Post
I have been flying with the stock blades and have not pulled the trigger and done the MSR setup yet. After about 5 sets of blades I started trying to find a way to keep these blades from breaking so easily. What I came up with is small washers-- built with a razor blade and some small heat shrink. Make them just wide enough to take up the slack. If you make them to big you will know right away as it will dampen all blade movement!

While I don't think this an end all for broke blade pins it has definitely helped. It seems to absorb impact shock hence saving me a few sets of blades. I broke my skids after clipping a wall full speed into the ground ... and the blades survived. So far so good figured I would share. Happy flying all!
Hey, that sounds pretty cool. Do you have some close-up pictures of your setup that you can share?
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:03 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
I only attached the washer to one side as you can see to almost completely eliminate blade movement in the head.
CrazyLegsFE is offline Find More Posts by CrazyLegsFE
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:00 PM
GOT WINGS
siriusflier's Avatar
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,423 Posts
I have been using washers on my blade pins for months to reduce sideways movement. I managed to find small plastic washers that fit. In my opinion, it reduced TBE more than anything else I tried
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Casio G-Shock GW-330-9v Solar/Atomic in New Condition DPage Non R/C Items (FS/W) 1 Apr 16, 2011 12:23 PM
GW Extra 330 and Yak Foam Fly by gw-ezone part 2 Martin Hunter 3D Flying 293 Nov 18, 2006 05:27 PM
GW/R6NII & GW/R4PII BEC question TeamTEOR GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 6 Aug 22, 2005 06:05 PM
whats the different between GW/HFD3 and GW/HFD4 giannidsg GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 2 Aug 09, 2004 09:30 PM
New receivers GW/R-4PII and GW/R-6NII sheerLuck Radios 0 Oct 22, 2003 05:06 PM