SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:59 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,613 Posts
Yeah, getting Xheli's attention is not the easiest to some people. But once you do get their attention, they're usually pretty reasonable. Sounds like you'll get a spare Rx then.

The electrical burnt smell came from the short. Fortunately, the Rx reset, and it didn't continue to build up heat. Otherwise, that short will give your FET a melt down.

Now that you've got the tail motor wires sorted out, it's time to read up on the suggestions from Daryoon and I to heat shrink the tail boom, or at least tape it, to prevent the motor mount from sliding forward again.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Oct 2008
24 Posts

I think I need to remove the tail motor to insulate the wires better. I have flown the
heli OK, but one time it went to flashing, and a slight tug on the wires cured it.
Is it difficult to get the tail motor off so I can visualize the wires that go under the
tail motor bracket? And yes I'll fix the bracket so it cannot move.

Thanks again, jjseawatcher
jjseawatcher is offline Find More Posts by jjseawatcher
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:47 PM
v922, mini, genius,mcp, v450D0
United States, MN, Le Sueur
Joined Nov 2012
1,176 Posts
9958 binding

Thanks for getting back. still figuring out navigation here. I didnt have to do that with my V911s just turn them and go. I just tried the left stick up b/4 turning on tx. Held that way long enough for binding if it was going to happen. No luck getting the heli to recognize the tx.
jack herr is online now Find More Posts by jack herr
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,176 Posts
oh by the way found it on xheli(hate that place but was buying christmas presents
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Oct 2008
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack herr View Post
Thanks for getting back. still figuring out navigation here. I didnt have to do that with my V911s just turn them and go. I just tried the left stick up b/4 turning on tx. Held that way long enough for binding if it was going to happen. No luck getting the heli to recognize the tx.
You have to connect battery, which starts LED flashing, then you have 5 seconds
to push the left stick "IN", like, down, into the Tx. then turn on Tx. Instructions are a
bit confusing, but that's how the bind procedure for the 9958 works.

jjseawatcher
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:34 AM
Joined Nov 2012
1,176 Posts
Thanks a bunch. I was flying within a minute. On to the next step. It flies ok but I would like totrim it using the control arms and get it to hover stationary. I have 3 V911s,2 9958s and while they all hover they wont stay put while doing so. All wonder in some directionor another. The thing is this. I figure out which arm controls what movement and make adjustments but that also affects other aspects of flying as each control arm has more than one fuction.
Any thoughts or advice on this? Are you familiar with the V911?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:39 AM
Joined Oct 2008
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack herr View Post
Thanks a bunch. I was flying within a minute. On to the next step. It flies ok but I would like totrim it using the control arms and get it to hover stationary. I have 3 V911s,2 9958s and while they all hover they wont stay put while doing so. All wonder in some directionor another. The thing is this. I figure out which arm controls what movement and make adjustments but that also affects other aspects of flying as each control arm has more than one fuction.
Any thoughts or advice on this? Are you familiar with the V911?
Sorry, no experience with the V911. Came close to ordering one, but decided to try
the new F47 from BangGood. Has a larger battery and it supposedly will handle wind better......
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:52 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,644 Posts
F47 looks nice and bigger battery. I have no more use in buying F/P as have plenty. Just started to fly my c/p heli. Needs lots of more experience but got it airbourne. Have a few FBL F/P/Quads to get mucho flying done.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:08 AM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2012
262 Posts
Were are people finding and buying these BNF 9958's? I have seen people post more than once threw the rc forums I'm on about getting a BNF 9958.

I keep asking and no one gives me a answer.
Rich Knapp is offline Find More Posts by Rich Knapp
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:39 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,820 Posts
LOL. I'd like to find out where people are getting BNF 9958s as well. I've got a drawer full of spare TXs...

My best guess is buying them used from ebay?

I built a 9958 from parts just for fun and so that's one way to get a BNF...
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:21 AM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2012
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
LOL. I'd like to find out where people are getting BNF 9958s as well. I've got a drawer full of spare TXs...

I had one that flew GREAT. Took a whole day of nothing but setting it up mecanical trim at full battery.

I had it down to hovinging with no TBE but yet on a dime. Then I became a victum of the up up and away.

Now I have the tx and no heli, unless I bind it to one of my son's 9958.
Rich Knapp is offline Find More Posts by Rich Knapp
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post

You, too, Robo? I built one from parts long time ago. I say it is the best exercise one could do to understand the workings of these 4CH micro FP helicopters. I have also built another ARF which is sitting on the shelf right now. It has everything except for a Rx. I haven't decided which Rx to give it. Then I got side tracked with other models...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,613 Posts
Rich, AFAIK, there is still no retailer selling 9958 BNF. Sorry to hear about your flew away bird. Wish there was a fail safe.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:36 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
You, too, Robo? I built one from parts long time ago. I say it is the best exercise one could do to understand the workings of these 4CH micro FP helicopters. I have also built another ARF which is sitting on the shelf right now. It has everything except for a Rx. I haven't decided which Rx to give it. Then I got side tracked with other models...
Yup! I've got an ARF that is going to get a V911 RX, Bravo SX tail, and MSR flybar. Not sure about the canopy yet but I'll start by hacking up a spare 9958 canopy and see if I can figure out a good way to make it look decent.

I've got 4 more ARFs that I'm going to be putting into BravoSX fuselages. I found this great page here:

http://thefibonacciphoenix.wordpress...bravo-sx-body/

which shows one way to modify the bravosx fuselage to fit. However I'm going to do a few more things:

1) Use an MCX lower head and the black/white blades so that I can match the colors of the BravoSX.

2) Use BravoSX tails (I love this mod)

3) Try to use the BravoSX skids. The skids fit into the 9958 mainframe but I do not know what additional mods will be needed to make them fit into the BravoSX fuselage. I suspect I'll need to cut more material away from the underside to make it all work.

The above are some of my planned winter projects since my weekend outdoor flying sessions are rapidly coming to a close as winter comes on...
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,613 Posts
In case others are wondering, building a 9958 from parts is not cheap! Although 9958 parts are never expensive, they add up. A $1 here and a $1 there, and you quickly add the bill up. If you want to save money, just buy a kit. If you want to learn the experience, then build one from scratch and you won't regret the investment.