HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:47 AM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravokilo View Post
so I picked up an mSR Flybar for my 9958 .. the stock paddle one .. installed it and the heli was pretty much unctrollable once it got up in the air. Wobbling all over the place.

Did I over simplify this mod ? Is there some other piece that needs to be added ?

I have googled my arse off with not success on finding a detail how to just can only find that pilots are successfully using it on the 9958.
Did you check to see that it is not installed upside down?
flydown is online now Find More Posts by flydown
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:33 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,060 Posts
Quote:
so I picked up an mSR Flybar for my 9958 .. the stock paddle one .. installed it and the heli was pretty much unctrollable once it got up in the air. Wobbling all over the place.

Did I over simplify this mod ? Is there some other piece that needs to be added ?

I have googled my arse off with not success on finding a detail how to just can only find that pilots are successfully using it on the 9958.
Just make sure you installed the mSR flybar in the correct orientation. (I don't think you can really do it wrong since the link balls won't line up.)

Use the 9958 linkages.

There's not more than that. Hopefully the increase agility isn't what you mean by "Wobbling all over the place."

It will do a hands off hover if everything is balanced and trimmed properly. Just like the stock flybar.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:57 PM
v922, mini, genius,mcp, v450D0
United States, MN, Le Sueur
Joined Nov 2012
1,124 Posts
binding issues

Hi I bought a 9958 last summer tried it indoors a bunch wasn't to excited. Try to adjust the control arms without counting turns, fly worse now. Bought a heli only(no radio) but it wont bind to the origanal transmitter. I have 3 WL V911s and they all bind to the same radio. Any ideas? I bought the new 1 so I could see where everything comes preset, also ordered a new set of control arms thinking they are preset from the factory. I would love some help here.
jack herr is offline Find More Posts by jack herr
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:10 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2012
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack herr View Post
Hi I bought a 9958 last summer tried it indoors a bunch wasn't to excited. Try to adjust the control arms without counting turns, fly worse now. Bought a heli only(no radio) but it wont bind to the origanal transmitter. I have 3 WL V911s and they all bind to the same radio. Any ideas? I bought the new 1 so I could see where everything comes preset, also ordered a new set of control arms thinking they are preset from the factory. I would love some help here.
Were did you find a BNF 9958? I was looking for one when mine flew away.

You pluged in heli, pushed in the left stick, then turned tx on and held stick in untill the heli light went solid?
I have bound my old 9958's tx to both my older son's 9958 already and also to my younger son's 9958, it flew both birds.
Rich Knapp is offline Find More Posts by Rich Knapp
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:57 AM
Joined Oct 2008
24 Posts
GW Xiema 9958 Problem

I have been flying a 9958 in the house with a some minor collisions. The last was
a bad landing on a kitchen counter and the heli slipped off and fell three feet to a vinyl tile floor. No visible damage of any kind.
Now after plugging in battery and the usual sequence of red flash going solid,
the blades just spin for a moment then flashing red returns.
Anyone have this problem and know the solution? Bought from XHeli and not sure
what to expect from their tech support, not much help in the past.
jjseawatcher is offline Find More Posts by jjseawatcher
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:28 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjseawatcher View Post
I have been flying a 9958 in the house with a some minor collisions. The last was
a bad landing on a kitchen counter and the heli slipped off and fell three feet to a vinyl tile floor. No visible damage of any kind.
If your 9958 powered up like normal, started to spin up, and stopped working, returning to flashing red - like it is reinitializing all over again, you are likely to have a electrical short in your system. The most likely culprit after such a drop on the hard floor would be the tail motor wires.

This has happened to a number of owners. You could search this thread for more discussion. But basically, look carefully near the tail motor. The motor mount might have been knocked loose and slid forward on the tail boom, and the sharp edges of the tail boom might have cut the insulation of the wires, creating a short.

See the illustration below.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:24 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjseawatcher View Post
Tech help from X-heli is a joke. The worst support that I have run into so far. I was warned by a good friend to stay away and just found out hard core proof.
They are one big cluster Flub.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:51 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,635 Posts
The only tech support that works is their forum support. Phone calls are useless. Emails are useless. The "submit a ticket" system is useless. I've had 3-4 cases of tech support and the only way I reached satisfaction was through the forum.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:08 AM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2012
9 Posts
When battery start to get low is this common ?

I have noticed recently just before the battery is about to get to the low point where it will no longer stay aloft .. that it is like it loses gyro power .. it wil just start spinning. When I first got it it would just have trouble keeping elevation. Once the battery is replaces it flies great.

Is this normal in micro helis ? or indicative of some impending gyro or tail rotor failure ?
sierrabravokilo is offline Find More Posts by sierrabravokilo
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:09 AM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
The only tech support that works is their forum support. Phone calls are useless. Emails are useless. The "submit a ticket" system is useless. I've had 3-4 cases of tech support and the only way I reached satisfaction was through the forum.
I actually submit a ticker to xheli about my new 9958 and the servo motor locking up. It took a couple of days but they actually got back with me and sent me an RMA.
sierrabravokilo is offline Find More Posts by sierrabravokilo
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:59 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,155 Posts
I have done business with Xheli several times. All except once, everything came satisfactorily that I didn't have to use customer support. For the one time I needed support, yes, I agree that their response time was not great. But once I got them on online chat, the situation was resolved immediately and professionally. For that reason, I will still consider them a viable seller to me - if the price is right.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:02 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,155 Posts
Quote:
I have noticed recently just before the battery is about to get to the low point where it will no longer stay aloft .. that it is like it loses gyro power .. it wil just start spinning. When I first got it it would just have trouble keeping elevation. Once the battery is replaces it flies great.

Is this normal in micro helis ? or indicative of some impending gyro or tail rotor failure ?
Yes, that is pretty common. As battery depletes the head holding function will go down with it. It is typical that you'll need to adjust rudder trim in mid-flight. Then, it will get to a point that the heli just loses all desires to fly. It's time to bring it in, let it cool off and put on a new battery!
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:16 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,635 Posts
Quote:
I actually submit a ticker to xheli about my new 9958 and the servo motor locking up. It took a couple of days but they actually got back with me and sent me an RMA.
That's good to hear. I guess I didn't wait long enough with my ticket submission. After a couple of days I went to the forums and got a reply in an hour or so. I just go there first thing now...
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:58 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,472 Posts
X-heli does come out with great deals. My Ladybird V1 w 2402D TX was $58.00. Bought a V400D02 for $114.00 shipped. Ladybird V1 is best flying RTF out there of any flying aircraft no matter where the prop or other form of power.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Oct 2008
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
If your 9958 powered up like normal, started to spin up, and stopped working, returning to flashing red - like it is reinitializing all over again, you are likely to have a electrical short in your system. The most likely culprit after such a drop on the hard floor would be the tail motor wires.

This has happened to a number of owners. You could search this thread for more discussion. But basically, look carefully near the tail motor. The motor mount might have been knocked loose and slid forward on the tail boom, and the sharp edges of the tail boom might have cut the insulation of the wires, creating a short.

See the illustration below.
Your response was right on! I could see damage to the boom where it hit the floor
and the wires had shorted. One was bare. Once the short was eliminated, the heli ran fine. I remember a very distinct but brief electrical smell at some point.
I did have a constructive online chat with XHeli Charles, and receiver failure was suggested. I accepted a new receiver rather than pay the cost of UPS shipping one way. A dab of liquid "electrical tape" and I should be flying, thanks to you.
JJSeawatcher
jjseawatcher is offline Find More Posts by jjseawatcher