SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:57 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,550 Posts
I think I finally got my 9958 that I put a Y911 esc board into set up the way I like it. Now if I can just have a day without 10+mph winds I will get it outside and try it out. I had not tried to do much with it lately because I had to make a bigger canopy for it and I have been playing around with my 929s. Finally made a canopy tonite with pattern printed on plain paper, clear tape on the inside, and clear spray paint on the outside. My lightest canopy yet, weighs 0.9g
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:43 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,021 Posts
I received a new 9958 from XHeli.com yesterday and the receiver refuses to bind with the included transmitter. I have many rc models and have never had a binding issue.
I called them today and they generated a shipping label for me to send it back in exchange for another one.
I must have gotten a bad one .
At least they took care of me right away.
I'll just have to wait for the replacement to arrive.
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:54 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
I think I finally got my 9958 that I put a Y911 esc board into set up the way I like it. Now if I can just have a day without 10+mph winds I will get it outside and try it out. I had not tried to do much with it lately because I had to make a bigger canopy for it and I have been playing around with my 929s. Finally made a canopy tonite with pattern printed on plain paper, clear tape on the inside, and clear spray paint on the outside. My lightest canopy yet, weighs 0.9g
Sounds good. Pictures please.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:02 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
I received a new 9958 from XHeli.com yesterday and the receiver refuses to bind with the included transmitter. I have many rc models and have never had a binding issue.
I called them today and they generated a shipping label for me to send it back in exchange for another one.
I must have gotten a bad one .
At least they took care of me right away.
I'll just have to wait for the replacement to arrive.
Sorry to hear about your experience. In a way, I'm glad that XHeli CS is doing it right by you. But the unfortunately delay...

I don't doubt your RC experience. But what got me about binding the 9958 initially was the timing of it. You have to be be fairly quick about it. Otherwise, you miss the window of opportunity, and you have to start from the beginning again. I found the following video most helpful to me, when I switch from model to model and forgot how to bind the 9958, it's a good refresher for me. Take a look and see if you have done anything different. My hope is that you would discover that you could bind it after all, and don't have to wait for a replacement.

Bind your remote to your 9958 helicopter. ( Stock remote. ) ( same as hk-190 msp190 or atom.) (0 min 59 sec)
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:31 AM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,021 Posts
Thanks for the video. I actually watched that also before I sent it back today to make sure I was not missing anything, especially considering the directions that came with the heli was obviously written by someone in China that did not quite have a complete grasp of the English language.
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:51 AM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2012
9 Posts
Xieda 9958 Left Servo arm sticks when going all the way up

recently got this 9958 and it flew great out the box. Was my first FP heli after learning on 4ch CX helis so i had a few minor bumps but nothing major or broken.

All of the sudden it started taking off and going straight back and off to the left. After further inspection I realized the swash plate had separated and I pressed it back together and all was right again.

After that event .. it seems the slightest bump into something or if I have to give full pitch to the right .. which makes that server arm go all the way up to the top. It will get stuck into that position. You can hear the motor going trying to move it but it doesnt. If i turn off the TX it stops trying to move. Turn the TX back on it resumes.

Naturally I try not to leave it in this position with power since I am sure it will burn up the motor.

I have found that I can manually turn the gear on the bottom which will pull the servo arm gear back down to neutral then it works again. But as soon as I have to give it hard pitch right again or the heli bumps into something in flight it starts all over again.

It moves freely and works .. is almost like the TX is constantly telling the servo to stay up in that position. I have it trimmed to dead neutral though.

Anyone have any advice ? ( Other than buy a V911 which I will probably end up doing anyway

Here is a short video of what is happening:
Xieda 9958 servo arm sticking (0 min 51 sec)
sierrabravokilo is offline Find More Posts by sierrabravokilo
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:56 AM
Joined Jan 2008
36 Posts
I have been using my 9958 for 10+ runs over the past 2 days. There has been a couple of crashes so far. After changing batteries, when I added power, the tail rotor went crazy. Whenever I add the slightest of throttle, the tail rotor spins at near full speed. I need opposite rudder to even make it stop. It spins clockwise when viewed from the top.

Now the heli is un-flyable as it spins crazily on the floor with any power added. Is there a problem with the circuit board? The motor responds to yaw input (full to one side causes it to stop). This means the motor and wiring is intact. The signals for tail motor power is wrong.

I also have the servo 'sticking' problem where the arm gets stuck in an extreme left/right position and needs manual turning to reset. So far this 2 problems happening on the same day looks like its a PCB issue and something not fixed by any DIY soldering.

Any ideas how I can fix this?
xypher is offline Find More Posts by xypher
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:38 AM
GOT WINGS
Joined Apr 2012
2,550 Posts
xypher, I had a tiny piece of grit get into one of my servo's gears that caused it to stick-I could not see it and it was hard to get out, but it finally started working right again. Check your tail motor mount, make sure it has not been moved forward by a crash, inspect your wires carefully, make sure none are broken, stripped or shorted together, and check the motor wires and theservos where they mount to the board to make sure they are soldered properly. Make sure your rudder trim on the transmitter is centered, when you move it it will beep, makes a different beep when you hit center. It may be a problem with the board, but you need to very carefully check all other possibilities first. I have to use reading glasses and a jeweler's loop to really be able to see details on the tiny wires and connections.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:44 AM
GOT WINGS
Joined Apr 2012
2,550 Posts
Heli Pad, I don't have time right now to do pictures, maybe later. I did manage to get out this morning before the wind got too high and do a couple of test flights. The Y9958 had better forward movement than the Y911, but not as good as the stock 9958. I was actually able to handle a wind of about 4mph until a faster gust would hit it, and got some fairly decent forward speed. Maybe four times faster than my Y911 was and almost half as fast as my 9958s.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:59 PM
GOT WINGS
Joined Apr 2012
2,550 Posts
Heli Pad, you wanted pictures of my Y9958. I will try to download some now. Flew it again about sundown todaywith about the same light wind condition, seems like it may actually be a little faster than I thought this morning, but I really need some calm conditions to have enough space to really open it up, and fly my stock 9958 for comparison. Stock canopy weighs 2.9g, repainted canopy weighs 3.2g, photo paper canopy weighs 1.5g, foam canopy (I made but don't like) weighs 1.7g, and plain paper canopy in picture weighs 0.9g. Don't think you can tell in the photo, but the nose of the paper canopy is crumpled a little, must have had an unplanned landing nose first. With this plain paper canopy and the Y911 board, the Y9958 weighs 25.9g. It is slightly tail heavy, so I will probably make another photopaper canopy for it. And don't shoot me, but I am including a picture of canopies for a V929, paper canopy on left weighs 3.0g, middle foam weighs 1.4g, and foam on the right weighs 1.9g. On the MQX canopy thread, I notice they chastise anyone who shows them a picture of a V929 canopy, LOL. And they are making canopies like I made them months ago

Hey, I can't click on Attach Files? Can't use the emoticons for several days now, and the quick search button brings up the advanced search page. Anyone know why this might be?
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:29 PM
GOT WINGS
Joined Apr 2012
2,550 Posts
For some reason it looks like this is working right again, so I will try to attach those pictures I mentioned in last post.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:22 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravokilo View Post
recently got this 9958 and it flew great out the box. Was my first FP heli after learning on 4ch CX helis so i had a few minor bumps but nothing major or broken.

All of the sudden it started taking off and going straight back and off to the left. After further inspection I realized the swash plate had separated and I pressed it back together and all was right again.

After that event .. it seems the slightest bump into something or if I have to give full pitch to the right .. which makes that server arm go all the way up to the top. It will get stuck into that position. You can hear the motor going trying to move it but it doesnt. If i turn off the TX it stops trying to move. Turn the TX back on it resumes.

Naturally I try not to leave it in this position with power since I am sure it will burn up the motor.

I have found that I can manually turn the gear on the bottom which will pull the servo arm gear back down to neutral then it works again. But as soon as I have to give it hard pitch right again or the heli bumps into something in flight it starts all over again.

It moves freely and works .. is almost like the TX is constantly telling the servo to stay up in that position. I have it trimmed to dead neutral though.

Anyone have any advice ? ( Other than buy a V911 which I will probably end up doing anyway

Here is a short video of what is happening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bMBO...sbzvh06hsTEDWQ
Dirt in the servo gears?
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Nov 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Dirt in the servo gears?
I think so Jake .. with a magnify glass I spotted a dark spot on the threaded rod that the servo gear rides up and down on .. I took a nylon brush from a gun cleaning kit and hit just a couple of times and flies like a champ now.

Thanks for the reply.

I ordered a v911 anway cause I am obviously now obsessed with RC helis so will have an extra bird to fly in a couple of days.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:51 PM
USA, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Nov 2009
153 Posts
You'll like the V911 better. I fly my 58 to become a better pilot. Its harder to control than the 11 and it keeps me on my toes. The 911 at times is almost too easy, almost like flying a Coax. Have fun and a great holiday with both of them
MWShelton is offline Find More Posts by MWShelton
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Nov 2012
9 Posts
mSR Flybar mod on 9958 ?

so I picked up an mSR Flybar for my 9958 .. the stock paddle one .. installed it and the heli was pretty much unctrollable once it got up in the air. Wobbling all over the place.

Did I over simplify this mod ? Is there some other piece that needs to be added ?

I have googled my arse off with not success on finding a detail how to just can only find that pilots are successfully using it on the 9958.