SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:07 AM
Joined Nov 2012
11 Posts
Thanks guys Oh that's good too hear its normal behavior for the left turns.

I just thought mine was bad or something. Yep I also have a v911 which was my first 4 channel heli that I got like a month ago.

The weird thing is I prefer the h995 over it, Mainly because of the battery options, I have the new plug version of the v911 which seems like the battery's are hard too come by.

And the h995 im more use too from flying it more because of the battery options and can fly it in the house with no problems now.

But ya so far im loving this heli hobby. This month getting into it I bought 6 helis.. lol v911, h995 s800g, jxd 4ch drift king than the syma s033g, And double horse 9116 for outside use.

Oh forgot the s107 which I got 2years ago which was my first heli and still going strong and haven't replace anything on it yet.

All my ground rcs are pretty much siting sense I got the helis

Ony thing that has me worrying is when the tail rotors go out on the h995 and v911 cause you have too soder a new one on which pretty much I suck at soldering

Well im ok with sodering big connectors like deans and stuff but never did something very small.
gordesky1 is offline Find More Posts by gordesky1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:28 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,743 Posts
Nothing wrong with preferring one model over another in the same class. It's a personal preference. You'll come to know their difference, strengths and limitations.

You know, it is not a given that you have to replace the motors. If you take good care of them, they will last quite a long while. Even when it comes time to replace them, soldering is the cleanest option. But there is nothing wrong with splicing a couple of wires. Take you pick. Enjoy and keep flying. My left turns still need work.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:22 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,894 Posts
Sounds great, gordesky1!!!

I've typically soldered the tails onto my RX boards directly but as helipad says you should be able to splice the wires together. Just strip the ends, put a bit of heatshrink tubing on one of the wires, then tie the two together, add a blob of solder to seal them, and then move the heatshrink over the soldered splice and seal with a bit of heat (heat gun is preferred over an open flame like a lighter...)
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:38 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,465 Posts
I have my second 9958 going pretty well as it has sat for a long time. My first one I thought had a bad tail motor.. I went to replace it and noticed it had moved foward about 1/2" and wires were tight. Slide tail to rear and gave it a try. It flys nicer than the other one.....>Woweee!! Even bigger surprise is I have three new nano tech 160ma 25C batteries for it, plus couple others.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:31 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,465 Posts
Put few more flight on both and flying pretty good. I may have broken pin on one blade as flying a little odd. I'm sure have extra blades. One is really a fine flyer and other one even with blade issue flying decent.

Later in day found blades that fit from my HK 36 bottom blade spares. Anyway as I thought pin on blade was missing, but it still flew. Now it flys fine like other. I am happy to fly these as they were my first 4 ch.F/P . I set them aside and flew others. My feeling is the low rates were not strong enough to avoid crashing as hi rates give more positive control. 9958 is smoother than V911 but V911 is easier to fly. Both are compatabile with T9X TX, but 9958 you need to reverse elevator and ailerons. T-Rex 100X is compataible also but my Rex acted funny with it and use stock TX.
Last edited by dankar04; Nov 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:45 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
Just remember there is no charging cut off in the 9958 charging cable an it WILL KILL YOUR NANOTECHS! but I'm sure if you have NANOTECHS you have a proper charger, just don't use the stock 9958 cable on anything other than stock 9958 cells.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:02 AM
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Oct 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
I'm almost willing to bet that it is your tail motor. What's unusual about this is that it performs okay with a full battery. And as the battery wears down, instead of gradually losing performance, it goes into a death spin. But the key is that it was CCW - indicating a deficiency in tail holding - which indicates a failed tail motor at that point. Had the problem been with the main motor, the tail motor would be overpowering and the helicopter will spin CW instead. That's why I think it is pointing to the tail. But it quickly goes into a spin, as if the voltage fell below a threshold. That's something I haven't seen before.

Anyway, if I were you, the first thing I would do is to replace the tail motor. Good luck.
Just a quick follow-up. Got the tail motor replaced a couple weeks ago and all seems to be MOSTLY back to normal. There's still a bit of tail wierdness when the battery gets low but it's not nearly as bad.

The hardest part was soldering those micro-fiber wires together! My sausage fingers, shaky hands and aging eyes made it far more of a challenge than flying a 6CH micro in a 30 knot wind!

Thanks for the help and advice.
larnlor is offline Find More Posts by larnlor
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,894 Posts
Nice job, larnlor! Yeah, with the stock tail motor, I found that when the battery gets low, the tail authority really starts to suffer.

I recommend getting a BravoSX tail boom, motor, and mount next time. It really improves the tail performance.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:51 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,465 Posts
I made a soldering jig from very large washer with two post .I have thick wiire attached to small clips and hold wires togrther to solder. You can bend wire to position and no moving around. V911 tail wires are 0012 thick. Mighty small. I have heli standing on skids and powerful lamp to brighten up work area.

The 9958 cable will kill nano-tech battery as I found out. It does work with Helios 100 and had no issue.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post

The 9958 cable will kill nano-tech battery as I found out. It does work with Helios 100 and had no issue.
Huh? I fly nanotechs in my 9958s all the time with no problems. What 9958 cable are you talking about?

Sorry, duh, you're talking about the USB charging cable. Yes, of course this cable is bad for any battery EXCEPT the stock 9958 battery. I charge my nanotechs with a separate charger and have never once used any of the USB chargers that come with the 9958s or H995s.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RoboHeli; Nov 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Heli Pad hit me with a clue-by-four
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:10 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,743 Posts
I'm quite sure that he was talking about the stock USB charging cable that came with his 9958. You charge your NanoTechs using a different charger all together, don't you?
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
I'm quite sure that he was talking about the stock USB charging cable that came with his 9958. You charge your NanoTechs using a different charger all together, don't you?
Oh, derp. Sorry, that makes more sense, yes. The charging cable will kill nanotechs. yes, they'll kill any battery that doesn't have a charging circuit built in.

I have a Thunderpower AC6 that I got from XHeli and I have a bunch of parallel charger connectors. I can do 24 little LiPos at once if needed...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:42 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,465 Posts
I have to say I am amazed at beating these can take. My first 9958 took some pretty good hits. My original 9958 flys as good as rest of my 4 ch. micos. The other newer one flys decent but not as nice but no issue. Nether has tbe .
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,894 Posts
Heh.

I love the fact that you can build these guys up as easily as any heli from Blade (save for the soldering of motors...) and you can get spares from Amazon and other US distributors AND those parts all fit no matter when you buy them!!! (E.g. the heli hasn't 'evolved' without changing model numbers...)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:25 PM
What Do You Drive?
United States, PA, Folsom
Joined Jan 2012
704 Posts
A-T-T-E-N-T-I-O-N

Anyone on the West Coast want a really inexpensive case for 10 bucks equal to H.F. case???

You have till 12am EST.

http://www.buy.com/prod/vivitar-prof...245165990.html

Warning, it will NOT take a full size transmitter like a T9X or Devo 7

E2 sent me the link
Pancari is offline Find More Posts by Pancari