HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
9938 is really a new model? its so beautiful. Anyone fly it?
ikarous is offline Find More Posts by ikarous
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:11 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,822 Posts
I just converted my last 9958 (actually an XHeli.com Hero995 rebrand) to a Bravo SX tail and it flies very well. Just like my yellow/black one, hovering is very smooth and even though this guy could use just a smidgen of trim to get it to hover without rotation, it's very manageable and I don't bother with it.

It flies VERY VERY well now. With the Bravo SX tail, this heli is MUCH more capable. I can throw it around MUCH more like a V911. I can't wait to take it outdoors.

I cut the tail fin attachment bar off of the stock 9958 tail motor holder and slide it onto the Bravo SX tail boom before installing the tail boom. This actually gives me a really cool added bit of flexibility. Because the tail fin attachment piece stays on pretty well with friction, I find that I can slide it back and forth on the tail boom to help adjust the heli's center of gravity! This is nice as I can now push the weight forward a tad bit to counter the additional length of the tail boom. Cool!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:23 PM
MicroHeliPilot III
Florida
Joined Aug 2010
150 Posts
MyRcMart has been sold out of the Coax version for over a year now...What vendor are you getting your 9998 fix from (also where can i buy the 9988!)

(hi guise!)
FreakFlow is offline Find More Posts by FreakFlow
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,822 Posts
Go back and re-read my big picturesque post very carefully. I say where you can get them from. But here it is again:

9998:

Hobby King sells the rebranded (but just the same!!!) 9998 and 9988 helis:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...licopters.html

The white 9998:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Mode_TX_.html

The red 9998:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...F_Mode_2_.html

Then you can buy all 3 colors at thinkrc.com
http://www.thinkrc.com/4ch-helicopters-c-22.html

and you can get all the spares you can break here as well.

Amazon.com also occasionally has the 9998 sometimes.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Wall-999.../dp/B005LU2W9Q

but I've only ever found the red one there. You can find the fuselages, tail fins, and blades for the other colors at

As for the 9988, here's the Hobby King listing:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...licopters.html

but it tends to be on backorder a lot...

Banggood sells it:

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Gw...f-p-45967.html

but if you're anywhere near a HobbyTown USA (check the web page) you can pick one up at the store.

http://www.hobbytown.com/Shop/-Ares-...TF-Helicopter/

It's a re-brand but I've personally verified that it binds to the 9958 TX and I can control the servos just fine. You can use the store locator:

http://www.hobbytown.com/StoreLocator/

to find one near you. It costs more to buy from them but you can pick up a cool Orange fuselage to swap out for the Blue on if you want. You can also get 200mAh batteries that fit that heli (and the 9978) there as well.

Finally, JUST BE CAREFUL OF EBAY LISTINGS!!! I got burned by a Chinese vendor that sent me the wrong colors and pretty much tried to rip me off afterwards.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:38 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,621 Posts
FreakFlow, welcome back!!!

HP
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,822 Posts
Hi everybody!!!

MyRCMart just got back to me with some exciting news!

As expected, the 9928 and 9938 helis are fully compatible with the 9958 TX. Looks like I'm going to add two more to my collection.

They also added some nice videos showing relative sizes. Check them out here:

GW (Great Wall) Maker 9958 / 9928 / 9938 Helicopter Size Comparison - MyRcMart.com (2 min 18 sec)

GW (Great Wall) Maker 9938 2.4Ghz 4-CH RC RTF Helicopter - MyRcMart.com (1 min 46 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:16 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,492 Posts
Well, I finally got around to taking the RX off of my (extremely slow) Y911 and putting it on my 9958 with a bad board this week. First I tried it with the Y911 swashplate, but that did not work very well for me, so I went back with the stock 9958 swashplate. It has taken a lot of shortening on the servo links to get it to the point where it doesn't drift backwards or sideways, but I think I finally got it about right. Seems to have a fair amount of TBE, but I haven't really tried to check that problem yet. I flew it indoors today in a small room and I think I was able to mechanically trim the backward and sideways drift, but it was too windy outside to fly. It looks like it has some good potential for forward motion, but I won't know for sure until I can get it outside. The Y911 I got was painfully slow, came with a bad tail motor, and I damaged the main gear. I really did not want to spend any more time or money on the 911, so it is now repair parts for my 9958s
siriusflier is offline Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,621 Posts
While the V911 swash plates look quite similar to the 9958's, the height difference presents quite a challenge. The best way to deal with it is by having a custom made shaft. However, not everyone can easily make a custom shaft. I'm in debt to Daryoon for making mine.

Otherwise, you have to use other measures to take up the difference. It can be done, just not as clean. I imagine that Y911 presents the same challenge.

The 911Rx and 9958 hardware is a powerful combo. Best of luck and I hope that you would end up with the best FP micro.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:41 PM
GOT WINGS
Joined Apr 2012
2,492 Posts
Looking at the Y911 rx board and comparing it to some of the pictures of V911 boards, I get the impression that the Y911 board was not made by WL toys, but by another company, like has been mentioned, maybe a clone of the clone.
My board has JLDZ - 101A, 2012/06/24 on it
Also, I am going to have to make a new, slightly larger paper canopy for the V9958, the one from the V911 doesn't fit right
Last edited by siriusflier; Nov 18, 2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: add
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:19 AM
Joined Nov 2012
11 Posts
I have a h995 and I think it might have a problem.

I had it for like 2 weeks now, And when I try too turn too the left it seems like it wants too pick up more up speed and its very hard too control it too the left, It flys fine too the right and flys stable,

But it seems like it has this problem with the left which I don't get what's the problem.

Now flying out side the left works ok i guess because there's more room.

Everything seems too check out with the servos and stuff. Also when looking in front or back when flying it seems like the top main blade is little slanted .. Is that normal or would that cause the problem with the turning?

Other than that i love the little heli and i been playing with it non stop when i don't fly the big ones outside. Also got 5 battery's and a charger cable too charge with my ac6 so pretty much a good bit of flying runtime

Also is this the right forum? I herd the h995 is just a clone of the 9958 so pretty much the same except colors.
gordesky1 is offline Find More Posts by gordesky1
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:25 AM
GOT WINGS
Joined Apr 2012
2,492 Posts
You are in the right thread, the H995 is just a repainted rebranded 9958. Same heli, just different colors. The slant of the main shaft and blades is normal, intended to compensate a little for the torque created by the rotation of the blades. The tendency to pick up forward speed when you turn to the left is also normal and caused by the main blade rotation. The 9958 tends to have a little slide when you turn left, it is not the best heli for indoor flying unless you have lots of space. I only fly mine outdoors, unless I am just trying to mechanically trim one. They say the wl v911 and sp 260/270 are much better indoors.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,822 Posts
Hi gordesky1, welcome!

The 9958 and H995 (I have them both--the H995 comes in better colors, IMHO) can be flown very well indoors but I recommend two mods for it.

1) Get a Blade MSR paddled flybar for it. It's a drop-in replacement. The links will be a little loose on the flybar's link balls but it works fine otherwise. This seems to help reduce the tendency to slide around. At least it works nicely for me.

2) Consider installing a Bravo SX tail boom and motor to replace the stock tail boom and motor. That makes the tail response much better. This ALSO helps to make it less slidey as the tail authority is better.

I've done these two mods to my 2 9958s and one H995. The only oddity of the 3 upgrades is that one of them requires a lot of left trim to keep it from spinning and when it's hovering, the tail has a little wiggle as if the RX can't find the "center" speed to keep it stable. I'm thinking of swapping out the RX board to see if that fixes the problem. However, it's only a problem when hovering. When I fly it around, it performs just as well as the other 2.

That being said, you should also get a WLToys V911. It's even easier to fly than the 9958 and its practically indestructible.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordesky1 View Post
I have a h995 and I think it might have a problem.

I had it for like 2 weeks now, And when I try too turn too the left it seems like it wants too pick up more up speed and its very hard too control it too the left, It flys fine too the right and flys stable,

But it seems like it has this problem with the left which I don't get what's the problem.

Now flying out side the left works ok i guess because there's more room.

Everything seems too check out with the servos and stuff. Also when looking in front or back when flying it seems like the top main blade is little slanted .. Is that normal or would that cause the problem with the turning?

Other than that i love the little heli and i been playing with it non stop when i don't fly the big ones outside. Also got 5 battery's and a charger cable too charge with my ac6 so pretty much a good bit of flying runtime

Also is this the right forum? I herd the h995 is just a clone of the 9958 so pretty much the same except colors.
Welcome to RCG and this thread. I sounds to me that this could be your first single rotor fixed pitch helicopter, because I had the same questions when I first got mine. It turns out that because of the physics involved your observations are quite natural.

In a single rotor (SR) helicopter, there is a constant push to the left. Therefore, a slanted main shaft is designed to help the helicopter take off a little straighter up from the ground into the air. Other models keep a straight shaft, but have uneven skids to tilt the helicopter to the right.

And it is also true that right turns are much easier to do that left turns. The stick positions are simply not the mirror images. So, experiment and learn to do those turns separately. I could do beautiful banked right turns. But my left turns are still less than graceful. And this is true to most helicopter models. It is a rude awakening coming from flying perhaps a coaxial.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,822 Posts
It doesn't get any easier when you go to a flybarless FP (MSRX) or flybarless CP (Nano) as I'm finding out. It requires constant stick mixing of your aileron and rudder to get nice turns. Each heli is a little different in this respect. Just keep flying and trying. Eventually it'll start to click.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:57 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,686 Posts
I have had two 9958's for awhile, but didn't like them. One has bad tail motor other was not flown much. I found a new battery and decided to try good bird again and away it went. Slides easy but gave it more power. I had it flying pretty good. I did find replacement tail motor and will fix the down bird. I am sure bad tail motor was from me crashing it when I first started flying. [Feb. this year]

Anyway 9958 flys decent and will use it more.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04