HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:34 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,200 Posts
Well, the product page at MyRCMart says that the 9928 sports a 350mAh Lipo! I'll believe it when I see it. Judging from the photos, I would venture to guess that it has the same dimensions of the 9958, with a different battery/skids. There may or may not be a different main motor. The canopy is obstructing the view to tell for sure.

The price is right. For $2 more, if I had the need for another 9958, I'd definitely bump it up to a 9928 purchase. I hope that one of the new owners, will tell us more, and share more photos with us.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:09 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,654 Posts
Oooh! Good catch, HP. I missed that text when I first went there. They've updated the page a few times since the time it went live.

MyRCMart did email me to say that there was a different motor....but I'd like to see the spares listing sometime.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:23 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2012
243 Posts
They claim bigger main motor and 3.7V 350mah Li-Po Battery

Looks cool (I have had 3 - 9958's )

parts will be my issue.
Rich Knapp is offline Find More Posts by Rich Knapp
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:08 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,200 Posts
Again, I'm just thinking out loud here...

A bigger main motor means a different frame. Except for canopy posts, the main frame don't get damaged easily. A bigger Lipo means a different pair of skids and battery compartment. This is a high risk part, and replacement parts will be needed.

Otherwise, I'm guessing that rest of the parts from the head down would be largely compatible with the 9958 parts, at least from what I could tell from the picture. So, hopefully, sourcing parts is not a huge issue. Of course, I couldn't guarantee the compatibility of parts. But if I were in the market for one, I would still take my chances with the 9928. I think the newer Tx, bigger motor and battery, give us enough promises for a good thing.

Hey, seeing how the big election went, who needs any proof of anything any more?
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:08 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,272 Posts
The transmitter for the 9958 looks like the same tx I got with my 9958 from myrcmart several months ago. Only difference from the other tx was the lcd display screen, and it worked about the same as the V929 tx. Showed trim and tx battery level I believe. Don't remember for sure, been using the 9x tx too long, only tried the v929 tx a few times
siriusflier is offline Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,654 Posts
Went flying outdoors today with my 9958s and I am now officially sick of the weak tail response. I've squirreled away a bunch of Bravo SX tails for just such an occasion. It's time to do some modding!

For those of you folks who have done this operation, I have some questions for you.

1) On the 9958 tail, the wires are red and green. On the Bravo SX, the wires are copper and red/copper. Anybody remember which goes to which?

2) What do I do with the tail fin? The BravoSX tail mount isn't the same as the 9958 tail mount and so the 9958 tail fin doesn't clip on properly. I was thinking of cutting apart the 9958 tail mount and using the piece that slides onto the tail boom to mount the fin. What do you folks do?

And if you've got a Bravo SX tail on your 9958, I'd love to see pix--especially closeups of the tail motor mount.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:56 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Went flying outdoors today with my 9958s and I am now officially sick of the weak tail response. I've squirreled away a bunch of Bravo SX tails for just such an occasion. It's time to do some modding!

For those of you folks who have done this operation, I have some questions for you.

1) On the 9958 tail, the wires are red and green. On the Bravo SX, the wires are copper and red/copper. Anybody remember which goes to which?

2) What do I do with the tail fin? The BravoSX tail mount isn't the same as the 9958 tail mount and so the 9958 tail fin doesn't clip on properly. I was thinking of cutting apart the 9958 tail mount and using the piece that slides onto the tail boom to mount the fin. What do you folks do?

And if you've got a Bravo SX tail on your 9958, I'd love to see pix--especially closeups of the tail motor mount.
I would just go with red to red ... seems to make the most sense to me ...
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,654 Posts
LOL, well, I have a 50% chance of getting it right the first time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:16 PM
GOT WINGS
Joined Apr 2012
2,272 Posts
I have a Bravo SX tail boom and motor + mount on one of my 9958s, the red/copper wire does go to red and the copper colored wire goes to green. The boom was slightly longer until I broke it at the frame mount, now it is about 5mm shorter, but still works well. I had to use rudder trim to keep it straight with the stronger and longer BravosX tail. Out of 3 9958s, the only one I have a tail fin on is the one I accidentally CA glues on LOL. I actually like flying them without tail fins
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,654 Posts
Thanks, siriusflier!!!

My plan was to use subtrim on my T9x to compensate for the extra torque.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:09 PM
GOT WINGS
Joined Apr 2012
2,272 Posts
Yeah using subtrim on the T9x is not that hard, since you only have to set it once. My 9x is still stock, but I use it and like it on all of my helis and quad except my Symas, and I hardly fly them anyway
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,654 Posts
Thanks. Just finished hooking it up and doing a test flight on a battery (@storage charge). Success! I think.

I'm now charging up a batch of batteries to do a real flight test.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,654 Posts
Alright! Now, THAT's what I'm talking about.

Just flew a 160mAh Turnigy NanoTech through my 9958 with Bravo SX tail. That bird turns SMOOTHLY now. You'd hardly believe it was a 9958! I'm really stoked about this. I'm going to convert my other two 9958s right away. For those of you who complain about the helicopter being too "slidey", I really think that the solution is:

1) MSR flybar
2) Bravo SX tail boom and motor (still using 9958 tail blade)

I also cut off the bit of the stock 9958 tail motor holder that holds the tail fin and slid that back on the CF boom so that I could put the tail fin back on. That works great. There's enough friction to keep it snug against the motor mount. No glue is needed.

Oh... one more thing. I didn't have to apply any sort of subtrim or trim modification at all! No idea why I don't have to but siriusflier has to do that??!?!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:49 PM
GOT WINGS
Joined Apr 2012
2,272 Posts
My guess is a slight difference in motor power could make the difference in whether or not you need subtrim. Or maybe its the tailfin, I never put a tailfin on my 9958 with the BravoSX tail. The other difference in yours is the msr paddles, I never tried them on that 9958. Glad you like it, happy flying
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,654 Posts
I just finished installing the BravoSX tail boom and tail motor into a second 9958 (this one was my original). While it definitely seems to turn better than before, it's definitely not as smooth as the original one. The issues I saw were:

a) I had to apply a LOT of left rudder trim to get it centered.

b) The heli has a slight erratic rudder twitch when hovering. It's as if its control system is always over-compensating and then having to dial it back.

However, when it's in motion in FF it's VERY nice to fly.

I might consider swapping out the RX board sometime to see if that fixes it. Good thing an RX board is relatively inexpensive (at least compared to offerings by EFlite/Blade, of course!)
RCG Plus Member