SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:28 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,368 Posts
My 9958 can penetrate wind better than the v911. But there are many v911 owners that say theirs fly against the win better than the 9958. So I don't quite get that. Perhaps variances between batches of helis must account for that difference. I do think you may have gotten a crummy y911? It shouldn't be that bad.

The mSR X will slice through the wind like it wasn't there.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:40 PM
RC Aircraft Junkie
USA, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Sep 2004
869 Posts
Both my 9958 have trouble penetrating the wind. My v911 however has no problems and will fly circles around the 9958. Lately, I have been having problems penetrating the wind with most of my FP helis. I think all of my batteries are getting older combined with the main motors getting worn out. I found that by increasing the servo travel setting on my Turnigy er9x to 125% helped return my forward speed. I just got 2 new lipos for my Bravo's/v911 but have yet to try out side in the wind. (BTW I think you have to increase the setting in both the limits page and the mixer page in er9x in order to realize the full amount of servo travel)
jlk69 is online now Find More Posts by jlk69
Last edited by jlk69; Oct 14, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:26 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,782 Posts
See, this is the thing that I simply don't understand. Yes, my V911s are the most agile things I have ever seen (indoors). Yes, I can dance them around and do tight reverse figure-8s and run obstacle courses between pieces of furniture (indoors). I simply do not have the skill necessary to even come close to that kind of performance with my 9958s (indoors). But quite frankly, the sustained FFF of my V911s is pretty poor compared to all the other helis I have, including the 9958. When I push my elevator forward from a hover, I get a nice quick nose down motion on the V911 that gets me going. However, the flybar pretty quickly starts to compensate and pretty soon I'm at max forward elevator and I'm not making too much headway. If I go back to center stick, then suddenly I go backwards a bit until the flybar balances out again.

So, if I deliberately fly back and forth so that I'm constantly destabilizing the flybar, I can get it moving better, but it's still nowhere as fast as my 9958 for more or less straight flight. The 9958 dips its nose waaaay down and pretty much keeps it there so that I can get some good speed. The 9958 is pretty good for quick "big air" motion in the park and is my 2nd favorite outdoor flyer (my MSRX is more fun).

I wish I could try someone else's V911 who says that theirs is faster outdoors than a 9958. My experience has been the opposite. My 9958s all sport MSR paddled flybars. Today I was flying stock flybars on my V911s because I wanted to see what they felt like. My short paddled V911 flybars felt too "twitchy" indoors so I wanted to go back to stock to compare.

@jlk69 : are your er9x V911 settings available somewhere? Think you could post an eepe file with what you're using? I'd like to compare them against when I'm using. I'd REALLY like to get more performance out of my V911s and if the servo travel helps, then I'm all for it!!!
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:39 AM
RC Aircraft Junkie
USA, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Sep 2004
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
@jlk69 : are your er9x V911 settings available somewhere? Think you could post an eepe file with what you're using? I'd like to compare them against when I'm using. I'd REALLY like to get more performance out of my V911s and if the servo travel helps, then I'm all for it!!!
Here you go.
jlk69 is online now Find More Posts by jlk69
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:06 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,782 Posts
Thanks!!! I'll try it out and let you know how it goes.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:06 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,444 Posts
I got to fly my 9958 with the shortened(5mm shorter than stock) Bravo SX tail motor and tail boom in almost zero wind conditions outside today. I had to trim the rudder to the left on my 9x about 4 to 6 clicks where before with the longer Sx tail I had to trim it about the same in the opposite direction. It flew fine and is still my favorite as I don't own a blade heli. I am strictly a low budget flier I even have a spare tail boom and wire and another tail motor I could have put on it, but I am saving those for when I "really need them", lol. I am even flying with the original main motors, when the brass pinions wore out, I just moved the motor up with an o-ring spacer to mesh the main gear with the unworn part of the pinion . And I also now have new main motors and main gears, but why fix it if it still works?
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:31 PM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Part of the reason the 9958 goes into FFF faster is the shorter Tail boom I own 2 v911's and 1 9958 The 9958 always had a mind of it's own and is not as graceful indoors, outdoors its fast but understand it came with 150ma batteries and 911 with 120ma when I put 150ma in the 911 it to will haul a-- and it don't break as easy when it crashes. I have all three on flysky 9x and enjoy them all. Most of the time I fly them inside and fly the 450's outside. But i'm getting so I take a v911 with me in the truck cause i can fly it almost anywhere.
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:43 PM
GOT WINGS
Joined Apr 2012
2,444 Posts
I got a bnf yellow V911 with no batteries and immediatly converted the battery connector so I could use the 9958 batteries. I have 4 stock 9958 bats and 4 turnigy 160mah bats. Those are all I have used on the Y911. And I just flew the Y911 and then the 9958 back to back in a small windbreak(maybe 20 ft) on the side of my house. The Y911 seemed jerky and had no authority against the wind, the 9958 easily fought the wind and was much more responsive to stick inputs. Admittedly, I am much more used to the 9958, but the Y911 just doesn't have the forward speed of the 9958, and I hardly fly inside at all, so I am just not very impressed with the 911. And I have only broken 2 parts on a 9958 in about the last 3 months, and am pretty sure the crashes that broke those parts would have broken the same 911 parts too
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:04 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
I got a bnf yellow V911 with no batteries and immediatly converted the battery connector so I could use the 9958 batteries. I have 4 stock 9958 bats and 4 turnigy 160mah bats. Those are all I have used on the Y911. And I just flew the Y911 and then the 9958 back to back in a small windbreak(maybe 20 ft) on the side of my house. The Y911 seemed jerky and had no authority against the wind, the 9958 easily fought the wind and was much more responsive to stick inputs. Admittedly, I am much more used to the 9958, but the Y911 just doesn't have the forward speed of the 9958, and I hardly fly inside at all, so I am just not very impressed with the 911. And I have only broken 2 parts on a 9958 in about the last 3 months, and am pretty sure the crashes that broke those parts would have broken the same 911 parts too
One thing I can say (have also both, or all three ... - V911 (old), Y911 and 9958) is that I definitely like the old V911 best (9958 slides too much and Y911 is like you said ... too slow ...) - an old V911 with paddle flybar instead of weights is just the best ... imho anyway ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:24 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
One thing I can say (have also both, or all three ... - V911 (old), Y911 and 9958) is that I definitely like the old V911 best (9958 slides too much and Y911 is like you said ... too slow ...) - an old V911 with paddle flybar instead of weights is just the best ... imho anyway ...
Wait, what? What's this "Y911" you speak of? Did I miss some new WL 4ch FP arrival,... or is that a slang term for the yellow V911?
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:34 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,368 Posts
I am really liking the y911. It's just so smooth versus the old v911 I have. Issue I have with both is the really bad flybar strike.

I like to go fast. And I like the challenge and look of the heli as it transition from one bank circuit to the other.

I like to go forward and whip the heli 180 into a tail circuits or funnel.

All, while trying to keep the speed up, keep the smoothness in transition. And most importantly, manage throttle to keep a level flight path.

Just not really possible with the flybar strike. You transition from one to the next, and the flybar will surely strike. And when it hits the tail boom, it's just about impossible to recover.

Anyways, that may be in the past...

I just got the Helios flybar in today. I can not get it to strike thus far. Loving it!

Center hub easy to sand down. 16 light passes on each side with the small file and it's perfect. Smooth, quick tethering. The issue is the ball. Bigger than the v911/y911. Have to sand it down to allow smooth tethering. I think using Helios links will solve the problem.

Anyways, I am loving the way it flies indoors and outdoors.

Can't wait for the breeze tomorrow to see how it handles it.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:50 PM
GOT WINGS
Joined Apr 2012
2,444 Posts
Y911 is the yellow bnf V911 which a lot of people say is a clone of the V911 and is made by Juchion?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:10 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
Y911 is the yellow bnf V911 which a lot of people say is a clone of the V911 and is made by Juchion?
yup!
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:14 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,368 Posts
The y911 also comes in white with red accents. White with no paint. And there's some black body ones as well.

On Banggood, the WLToys v911 will have "WLToys" in the title. The Juchion versions will simply say v911.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
So far I have flown 3 V911's and the performance of all three is different and I suspect that is true with the 9958's I'm not knocking one or the other. The first time I put a 150 ma battery in the v911 I bounced it of the ceiling. Thinking of buying a helios 100 from banghergood just for kicks. Seems you cant use it on tx9 on it and that's a bummer.
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4