HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:01 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,523 Posts
Funny. Cuz msr owners are always trying to retrofit parts from other helicopters to bring the cost of replacement down.

Here, we're thinking of doing the opposite.

I just have to be more mindful of removing the links from the balls. In fact, I have adjusted to remove the link from the balance bar end rather than blade end. The balls on the blades are waaaay to fragile.

Is there a suitable metal ball replacement we can purchase somewhere?
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:18 PM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Funny. Cuz msr owners are always trying to retrofit parts from other helicopters to bring the cost of replacement down.

Here, we're thinking of doing the opposite............
I was looking for alternate replacement parts such as the head & blades of better quality & stronger than stock. Since the 9958 seems to be a MSR clone, MSR parts would have a better chance of being compatible. Unfortunately stock MSR parts are pricey but the cost saving solutions found by MSR owners might also apply to the 9958.
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
Last edited by Brosol; Jul 14, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:21 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,523 Posts
I noticed the Solo Pro has one more ball in the swashplate bearing. I assume that would make it smoother? i.e. going from ABEC 3 to ABEC 5 bearings in inline skates?

Anyways, the outer and inner diameter matches up nicely according to my digital calipers.

-Daryoon
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:32 PM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:

Here, we're thinking of doing the opposite.

I just have to be more mindful of removing the links from the balls. In fact, I have adjusted to remove the link from the balance bar end rather than blade end. The balls on the blades are waaaay to fragile.

Is there a suitable metal ball replacement we can purchase somewhere?
Something like these might work to mod the stock blades.

http://www.microheli.com/store/produ...roducts_id/139
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:34 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,746 Posts
Nice camera work Daryoon, all your photos are really clear.

Not sure about the bearings but my 9958 is significantly quieter than my SP.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Jul 14, 2011, 06:07 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
Nice camera work Daryoon, all your photos are really clear.

Not sure about the bearings but my 9958 is significantly quieter than my SP.
Thank you for the picture comment. I just hope the clear large picture are good to refer back to. Especially since not many people have the 9958 in their possession yet. It helps to see the details of the helicopter clearly. It also helps me go back to default stock setup when I have royally mess up the handling characteristic of the helo while attempting to mod to "improve" performance.

Re: the noise...I am sure the mesh of the gearing or motor probably has more to do with the quietness of the 9958. When turning the gear by hand, the Solo Pro is noticeably more "rough." I don't know if this is from the gears or the motor.

Here's something I just did to the 9958. Seeing how on the Solo Pro and mSR, there are two ball position on the factory swashplate, that got me thinking on a way to make the 9958 respond quicker to my controls.

From my understanding, the longer swashplate ball position makes a helicopter handling more aggressive. So I mated the Solo Pro upper swash plate and bearing. Used the "shorter" ball and clipped off the longer ball from the SP's upper swash plate. I also lengthen the servo arm rods by twisting it 6 full turn to compensate for the new lower position of the swash balls in comparison to the original location of 9958 stock ball height.

Here's a picture of the resulting setup.

I am surprise how much more responsive the 9958 is with this change. I like it.

I just need the wind outside to die down so I can take it out and see if my bank turns or FFF changes/improves any with this modification.

-Daryoon
Old Jul 14, 2011, 06:15 PM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Here's something I just did to the 9958. Seeing how on the Solo Pro and mSR, there are two ball position on the factory swashplate, that got me thinking on a way to make the 9958 respond quicker to my controls.

From my understanding, the longer swashplate ball position makes a helicopter handling more aggressive. So I mated the Solo Pro upper swash plate and bearing. Used the "shorter" ball and clipped off the longer ball from the SP's upper swash plate. I also lengthen the servo arm rods by twisting it 6 full turn to compensate for the new lower position of the swash balls in comparison to the original location of 9958 stock ball height.

Here's a picture of the resulting setup.

I am surprise how much more responsive the 9958 is with this change. I like it.

I just need the wind outside to die down so I can take it out and see if my bank turns or FFF changes/improves any with this modification.

-Daryoon
Nice mod & pics. Look forward to the test flight. Have you checked the Z-Bar mod?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=eqmod+z+bar

Last edited by Brosol; Jul 14, 2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 06:18 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,746 Posts
Perhaps the SP just has a noisy main motor?

Regarding the swashplate, anything that could be done to increase responsiveness would be great. I don't understand why you chopped off the long balls though? To save weight? I ask as it would have been handy to switch between the long/short balls pending your flying preference. I thought that using the shorter balls would have toned down response?

I wish mine was still flying, I broke the upper head assembly and so far the only place I've found with this part in stock is Focalprice. I went ahead and ordered one but who knows if and when I'll receive it.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 06:35 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,523 Posts
No, it wasn't for weight savings. The longer balls from the solo pro interferes with the swash guide on the main frame.

The shorter position from the solo pro's swash is just about the longest you can go. You can see how much of an angle even the shorter position creates in the link to the flybar.

Sorry about your out of commission bird. Perhaps I should go place an order for those spare parts to prevent a similar fate. My solo pro was out of commission for over a month because I never got around to ordering a replacement RX board for it. When o finally did, it was with the same order from RCMart for the 9958. The new 9958 is taking all my attention though. LOL
Old Jul 14, 2011, 07:22 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosol View Post
Nice mod & pics. Look forward to the test flight. Have you checked the Z-Bar mod?

Yeah, the z-bar mod looks interesting. I'll have to visit that down the road when my flying skills catches up with me.

I just went outside with the modded 9958 in the breezy condition and was able to battle the wind pretty well. I recall wind that strong always took my Solo Pro. I think with the more aggressive, head down FFF of the 9958, I am able to get my helicopter going back up wind that wasn't possible with the Solo Pro.

I will have to do a side by side to make sure I am not imagining it. Having fun and loving the price. Gonna have to pick up another to leave as stock as a control comparison with the future mods I, or others, no doubt will come up with. It always helps to have a reference point.

-Daryoon
Old Jul 14, 2011, 07:28 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,746 Posts
I found the same thing, outdoors the 9958 isn't phased by the wind as much as the Solo Pro and it's significantly faster. It still doesn't corner as well though, not sure what needs to be done to improve that.

Overall, for the price it's a brilliant little heli. Plenty of power and speed and the battery lasts ages. How are your flight times Daryoon? I was reaching 7 minutes with mine.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:48 AM
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
I sent a message to FocalPrice to have information about shipping status and TX mode.
In their reply they say there were problems and gave me another track number.
Now the tracking verification says:
"The item left Hong Kong for its destination on 11-Jul-2011"

So I have to wait for more days.

No news about TX mode at the moment.....
helicopcat is offline Find More Posts by helicopcat
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:13 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopcat View Post
I sent a message to FocalPrice to have information about shipping status and TX mode.
In their reply they say there were problems and gave me another track number.
Now the tracking verification says:
"The item left Hong Kong for its destination on 11-Jul-2011"

So I have to wait for more days.

No news about TX mode at the moment.....
That's troubling esp since their response regarding my Black/Yellow 9958 Tx, it was mode 2. I recommended that they be more clear about mode 1/2 Tx in their description and ordering process to avoid confusion.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:49 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,523 Posts
I was looking at the way the flybar was responding to stick movements yesterday and I believe that is the source of the delayed response to the control and the tendency for the 9958 to continue in same direction you last sent it.

While holding the 9958 in one hand as I gave it cyclic input, I can see the center of the flybar react to the changes of the stick quicker. However, the tips of the flybar takes forever to get onto the same plane.

@Frank_fjs,
Re: Flight times...
I think I am getting about 7 mins. But haven't kept tabs. I also fly with my E-Flite 120MHa batteries. Last night, I cut out the battery cage from a broken Solo Pro skids and made an adapter to use all the batteries I already had onhand. The new adapter with Nine Eagle battery fits well into the 9958 battery cage.

I need to figure out a way to increase the height on the swashplate pin guide since modifying the ride height of the swashplate makes the swash pin more likely to jump the guide.

However, seeing how one of the more effective performance mod for the mSR is to shorten the swashplate arms for my cyclic throw, I may just get the Extreme aftermarket swashplate with the shorten arm.

Mod as written up by hydro_pyro:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=77

Extreme shorten swashplate:
http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=5030

What do you guys think?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:21 AM
United States, NY, West Islip
Joined Jul 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darc View Post
Just got my 9958 from Focalprice. Its Mode 1 on the Tx.
This is useless to me. I have submitted an RMA asking for a new Tx in Mode 2.
Looks like I might have to buy another 9958 from somewhere else to get a working Tx. Be warned.
So i tried binding a different Tx to this heli. I have one from my Mode 2 GT 5888 (4ch coax) and was successful.
I cant believe it worked, I'm so happy to have a working Tx. Even the Hi-lo rate switch on the Tx works.
This heli flies great and is stable and fast, although this is my first fp heli so i dont have much comparison.

i am still pursuing a RMA with Focalprice and have sent a photo to confirm the difference with my Tx and the pic on their site.
darc is offline Find More Posts by darc