HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2011, 02:28 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,040 Posts
Oops...my bad. I thought I remember meter. hehe

Yeah, it was dark...and I didn't want to climb the fence. It was far enough for this little heli. And it was an informal test anyways. Ideally, you don't want to be holding the heli because your body can act as an antenna.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:42 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,420 Posts
Carl
I don't have a 9958.......yet. I do however have the chopper that I believe is the inspiration behind it, a Blade MSr. I had lots of trouble controlling it until I heard about being able to turn on some Expo on my Spektrum DX5e transmitter. What a difference!!!! Now with some extra leeway near center stick, I have pretty much tamed my MSr for indoor flight. I don't need to spend time or money on replacement parts.

I would say adding Expo is the main reason for going to the Turnigy 9X for a 9958.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:13 PM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Carl
I don't have a 9958.......yet. I do however have the chopper that I believe is the inspiration behind it, a Blade MSr. I had lots of trouble controlling it until I heard about being able to turn on some Expo on my Spektrum DX5e transmitter. What a difference!!!! Now with some extra leeway near center stick, I have pretty much tamed my MSr for indoor flight. I don't need to spend time or money on replacement parts.

I would say adding Expo is the main reason for going to the Turnigy 9X for a 9958.

John in Merrill
I picked up an msr after I owned the 9958.. less than a week later I sold my msr lol. The 9958 is awesome even with stock transmitter. Cant believe I let it sit on my shelf the past week. darn airplanes takin up my time I would love to get the 9x for my 9958 but not being able to use it with my spektrum planes is what turns me off to it. even at that cheap pricetag, just cant pick it up for my $20 heli

oh and HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:18 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,040 Posts
Rc_noob, didn't you hear? I am using the 9x with the mSR.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:24 PM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
>I would say adding Expo is the main reason for going to the Turnigy 9X for a 9958.

I use negative expo on mine. I'm used to flying my 250 so I found the 9958 way too easy. -25% expo makes it really sensitive, which is the way I like it. I also found that after mechanically trimming it yesterday, I lost a lot of servo throw in one direction, so I put it back the way it was and added a tiny amount of weight at the tip of the canopy. I also increased the servo throws to 125%, so now with slight moves of the sticks and I can almost roll and flip my bird
monkeyhanger is offline Find More Posts by monkeyhanger
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:32 PM
Hardware hacker
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
17 Posts
400ft is nearly 122m... that's a long way even for a larger (non-FPV) heli.

The difference in controllability between the stock Tx and the 9x is really quite stark. I think the length of the sticks is definitely a factor. I was flying better even without expo. How much expo have you other 9x guys set? I found 60% to be pretty comfortable, but I'm grounded due to a dead gyro at the moment, so I can't experiment with it. Got a second 9958 and a replacement Rx on the way from myRCmart, so I should be airborne again soon.
MoonShad0w is offline Find More Posts by MoonShad0w
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:04 PM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Nov 2011
107 Posts
I just manually trimmed mine the other day and noticed a loss in my left roll and and backwards flight guess i need to take it back closer to stock. Monkeyhanger how did you increase your servo throws?
joshstreet09 is offline Find More Posts by joshstreet09
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:24 PM
Joined Nov 2011
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShad0w View Post
The difference in controllability between the stock Tx and the 9x is really quite stark. I think the length of the sticks is definitely a factor. I was flying better even without expo.
Makes me think I might try temporarily extending the sticks on the stock Tx, shouldn't be hard. I'm not quite ready to jump into the 9x yet.

Edit: Well I tried it and I gotta say, I know its a noob move, but there is something to this. Of course it screwed me all up since I'm already comfortable w/ the stock Tx the way it is, but I think that 1/4" to 3/8" extensions would be helpful to someone just picking it up. Sure beats "junior" mode anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShad0w View Post
Got a second 9958 and a replacement Rx on the way from myRCmart, so I should be airborne again soon.
Funny how a parts order results in another heli, I did the same thing.
ArcFault is offline Find More Posts by ArcFault
Last edited by ArcFault; Nov 25, 2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:56 PM
RC Aircraft Junkie
USA, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Sep 2004
819 Posts
Stock 9958 vs. mod. 9958

I have had a chance to compare the 9958 I bought from rc_noob that is modified with mCx lower blades and a mSr flybar and the stock 9958 I just got from FocalPrice. The pendulum effect is much more pronounced on the mod 9958 and forward speed seams the same. I am using the Turnigy 9x Tx with both and identical settings. I only have had a chance to fly inside so far but if forward speed outside is the same between the two I might put the stock flybar back on.
jlk69 is online now Find More Posts by jlk69
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:01 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,040 Posts
I like negative expo as well. About 30-40.

Mechanically adjusting your servo should technically give even front and backwards flight.

On my t9x, after flashing the er9x firmware, I need to calibrate my sticks. You may want to figure out how to do the same with stock firmware to make sure the entire pot range is used
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:02 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Funny, at first I thought -35% was good. With 0 heli experience. Then I set low rates at -20% and I find i like to fly it that way more than the high rate. Nothing gets rid of the glitchy rudder, but I can live with it.

I too enabled e.limits and bumped some up over 100% but, only the in the direction and axis that I saw additional movement was actually happening. I don't think its good for these china shop (dual meaning) servos to try to get them past where they mechanically move.

Monkey, take a really close look at the servo arm ends, and while you are upping the limit, when they stop moving, I would not add additional % to that limit. I think it cranks the servo past where it is supposed to, and why set it to 125 when it stops actually moving at 112?

Anyway, I dont believe, looking at my previous video, that teh tail rotor from a bravo sx is any more powerful. Just based on rpm count while pirouetting?SP? spinning rudder locked all the way left. It might help a little to shorten the cf tail boom, I will try that later.

Broke the front mount pin on the skid/batt holder yesterday in a horrific crash into a bookshelf. Tried ca, didnt last long, now I fear that the nub that stayed in the mainframe mate hole will not come out.! Oh well parts on order. Funny, I havnt touched my planes since I got this thing!

P.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:40 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,040 Posts
I like -20 as well. Depends on how warm up I am.

These helis are so convenient to fly. Flying a plane means more of a commitment in time and energy.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:47 AM
Hardware hacker
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
17 Posts
Interesting results, jlk69. Let us know if you do put the stock flybar back on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcFault View Post
Funny how a parts order results in another heli, I did the same thing.
Planning to keep the new one (black) pretty much stock, and mod the crap out of my current one.

Regarding + / - expo, + seems to be pretty much "n00b mode" but without the reduced servo throw. Much better for indoor flight, but I'm sticking with linear or very small + curve for outside. I doubt I could handle negative expo.

Wheelspinner20, you can carefully drill out the nub if it's stuck. The main issue (I think) with pushing the servos past their limits is that it might be possible to get them stuck at the end of their throw while in-flight, which would probably be disastrous.
MoonShad0w is offline Find More Posts by MoonShad0w
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:52 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,040 Posts
Jlk69: you'll need the associated longer ball swashplate mod before you can come to a conclusion.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:43 AM
Joined Nov 2011
50 Posts
Sorry to butt in, but all this talk about upgrading to the 9x has me wondering about something. I'm relatively new to this and until recently all my flying was with 3 ch IR helis. As such I really don't find that I have a whole lot of love for this mode 2 thing. I mean I've adapted just fine, but... why not mode 4? Seems like it would be a much easier transition, but there must be cons or everybody would be using it, right?
ArcFault is offline Find More Posts by ArcFault