HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:46 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
925 Posts
Cupko,

If you like me have pet in house, I'd take out tail rotor to clean anything stuck there. Check there are two tiny wires (red & green) into the tail motor, make sure those wires are intact and no potential for electric short.
GTstrudl is offline Find More Posts by GTstrudl
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:02 PM
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2011
21 Posts
Daryoon: "It may be a combination of expecting too much precision out of these micro heli."
"Eventually, I resign to learning to counter the heli's tendencies. It becomes a lot less annoying than trying to get the heli "perfect.""

I think you nailed it Daryoon. I am pretty much a perfectionist. I guess I'm just expecting too much from this little guy...

And I also think there is still some issue with my 9958. I will be inspecting it again from nose to tail ... especially the tail boom, thanks for the pointers Dayroon.

As of replacing surface mount components on the RX board, even though I used to have fun with electronic (soldering iron is my old friend), I'm just getting too blind for that and my hands are just not as precise as they used to be....
That's the price of getting older I'm afraid

I just wish that I had another 9958 to compare it with. Maybe all this is in my head (my darn perfectionism). I just hate to start replacing parts one by one, I just may buy another 9958 as well

Thanks for all the help and advice.... will let you know of progress...
Cupko is offline Find More Posts by Cupko
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:05 PM
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTstrudl View Post
Cupko,

If you like me have pet in house, I'd take out tail rotor to clean anything stuck there. Check there are two tiny wires (red & green) into the tail motor, make sure those wires are intact and no potential for electric short.
Are the ants considered pets ?

No, I don't have any pets. But I did check the tail motor axle and the blade, and removed some flint fibers..... still no change...
Cupko is offline Find More Posts by Cupko
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:08 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
I *really* don't have anything clever to say. But I just want to be the one to post the #1500 post!!!

Article 6, Section 4, Subsection b3 of the 1500 Club states that 'you must send a new Xieda 9958 package complete with Turnigy 9x and choice of colors, to the next 10 posters'. I'm in.

Our Canadian dollar is in the toilet right now and I am hovering over the BUY button, just waiting for it to recover.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:42 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,340 Posts
I got a Accucel-6 charger. So I can finally see how much power is being put back into these 1s battery.

Some informal test results...

Actively flew the ThunderPower 160 and Turnigy 160 for 5mins. With the er9x firmware, the timer can be set to starts and stop the countdown based on throttle. Which allows me to easily time my flights. Both batteries had over 3.7v left when I landed at 5min. Unfortunately, I did this late last night and I forgot to record the exact number. These battery aren't new either. Has many many cycles through them. So don't draw too much conclusion from this test.

Charging the cells..
The ThunderPower took on 118mah.
The Turnigy 160 took on 119mah.

I think both had enough power for probably at least 30s to 1min without going below 3.7v from my estimate.

Being 1 day wiser...today, I tried out the stock 150mAh and took better records.

Actively flew circuits with jlk69's purple heli. Here's the result...

@ 5min - 3.76v
@ 6min - 3.725v

Not bad. I put it on the charger after that 6min flight.

When I charged it up, it took on 125mAh.

One of these days, I will do a more comprehensive analysis. Will need new cells and a way to log everything. I suspect some battery types gives more punch.

Anyways, keep in mind the battery weight as well:

For your reference, the stock 9958 battery weighs 4.80g.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Nov 22, 2011, 06:27 PM
Joined Oct 2009
138 Posts
Some plastic if boiled in water will be more flexible. I don't have a 9958 but I am curious if boiling the stock blades for ten minutes will make them less likely to break. Anyone willing to give it a try?
Micro Buzzer is online now Find More Posts by Micro Buzzer
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:14 PM
Hardware hacker
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro Buzzer View Post
Some plastic if boiled in water will be more flexible. I don't have a 9958 but I am curious if boiling the stock blades for ten minutes will make them less likely to break. Anyone willing to give it a try?
I might try that when I have some spare blades. If it does make them softer, that also means they're more likely to get notches in them if you hit something hard.
MoonShad0w is offline Find More Posts by MoonShad0w
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:17 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Daryoon, very nicely done.

I'm surprised. the hyperions I always thought were the premium brand. They are the heaviest.! besides the stock one.

Im glad I orederd the nano tchs. Cant wait for the replacement tail boom/motor to get here.

Would it be better for me to cut the tail motor wires and splice at the wires, ?? I don't feel comfortable soldering at the board connections. Too tight.

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:46 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined Nov 2011
77 Posts
I just replaced my tail boom tonight, and yes i almost went cross-eyed trying not to soldier the 3 different joints together on the board. I wish they would have used connectors for the motors. I think I will get some small connectors so I don't have to touch the board again.
Mordy is offline Find More Posts by Mordy
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:50 PM
working to the closest cm
brisbane australia
Joined Nov 2002
2,127 Posts
blade breakage

Quote:
I have stopped breaking the little linkage balls off my blades after snipping the linkage.

In a crash the linkage now pops off instead of the blade breaking

cheers Jeff
PS Saw this posted somewhere on the thread - so this is just feedback
jirvin_4505 is offline Find More Posts by jirvin_4505
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:21 PM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Nov 2011
107 Posts
alright i broke the second set of blades and part of the hub, I'm thinking about going to the hobby shop tomorrow and try to get the mcx lower hub and blades. Just wondering if theres any modifications needed to make it work or if its basically just a bolt on swap?
joshstreet09 is offline Find More Posts by joshstreet09
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:33 AM
Joined Oct 2009
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jirvin_4505 View Post
I have stopped breaking the little linkage balls off my blades after snipping the linkage.

In a crash the linkage now pops off instead of the blade breaking

cheers Jeff
PS Saw this posted somewhere on the thread - so this is just feedback
Could you please explain, or post a photo, of what you mean by snipping the linkage. It could be a big help to everyone.
Micro Buzzer is online now Find More Posts by Micro Buzzer
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:29 AM
working to the closest cm
brisbane australia
Joined Nov 2002
2,127 Posts
Quote:
Could you please explain, or post a photo, of what you mean by snipping the linkage. It could be a big help to everyone.
Photo later when i get time.
Not sure where I read the hint? Just did a search and couldn't find the reference.

I used my side cutters and snipped (cut) through the round part of the linkage at the top. The linkage then has a tight 'c' shape that opens up and releases when it is under pressure. Otherwise it holds the ball tightly. I did the cut initially because i was worried I would bust the ball off the blades pushing the link back on.

Cheers Jeff
ps My focal price 9958 bargains arrived this week. They forgot to add the spare parts I ordered at the same time
jirvin_4505 is offline Find More Posts by jirvin_4505
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:49 AM
Hardware hacker
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
17 Posts
First major oops with this heli: I decided to try flying without the canopy, to see what effect it had. Much more nimble, but back-heavy. The canopy weighs just shy of 3 grams, so it's a significant contributor to the AUW. Before I could get it properly trimmed to hover hands-free, I had a crash that seems to have killed the gyro: the tail motor no longer spins. When I shift the little metal can on the front of the board with the throttle at low, the tail motor springs back into life. So it certainly seems to be the component at fault. I'm going to try to fix it; wish me luck.

EDIT: Nope, it's dead. Guess I'll be needing a replacement board.
MoonShad0w is offline Find More Posts by MoonShad0w
Last edited by MoonShad0w; Nov 23, 2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:31 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
One of these days, I will do a more comprehensive analysis. Will need new cells and a way to log everything. I suspect some battery types gives more punch.
hey Dar I would be willing to donate 2 brand new still in the package Lightning Power 150mah 1s 25c batts. sorry for the image quality on the 2 pack, couldnt find my phone and used my keychain cam lol dont mind the date either. the other pic was from when i got the batts.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz