HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:10 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1 Posts
Question
250mah rx battery (4.8v) for glider

Hi,

I'm new to planes, and am building a balsa glider.

I need a small, light, about 250mah rx battery, for my Hobbyking receiver.

What voltage to I need? I've found various discussions, and I think it's 4.8-6volts.

Can someone direct me to a suitable battery? I'll drop into a hobbystore next weekend and ask there as well.

Thanks, Brock
antiquark is offline Find More Posts by antiquark
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:15 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Hobby stores carry 4.8V 4 cell 250mah rx battery pack.

After a few flights, check the voltage. It does not last too long.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:08 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,397 Posts
A 250mah 4 cell pack? What size cells would those be made of? Your probably going to find that a nickel metal pack with cells that small arent going deliver enough current to prevent voltage drop throughout the discharge cycle. Its not all about standing voltage.Its whether the required voltage will be maintained throughout its cycle while the working load is applied.There are so many varibles in deciding what will likely work or not.

Without knowing a few more details about the entire system its not lkely anyone can blindly make a recommendation on what will be "plug and play".
Most important in any setup is knowing what kind of current (amperage) you expect to require.Then when you choose a power supply you have some idea if its going to be adequate or not.Then you test to see if the values are acceptable in actual use.

Thats my opinion.Or you could always go with the majority opinion."Plug and Pray".
If your building something from scratch IMO its mandatory to gain some basic understanding of electrical engineering.Its up to you to determine what you need and what will work or not.So so many run into trouble taking advise and doing something just because it seems to work for another.
My favorite response is "It will be fine Ive been doing it like this for years."
aerocal is online now Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:39 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
www.cheapbatterypacks.com

www.batteriesamerica.com
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:29 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
TO all that have never flown a DLG sailplane, 250's are the cat's meow.

I can fly a DLG for about 1.5 -2 hours, 1 - 1.5 with digitals.

Call cheap battery packs. We often use either the KAN or GP 1/2AAA. Some have gone for the slightly larger mAh and heavier 2/3AAA when the plane can handle the extra weight. They might have them or at least can tell you when they will get more.

Both can be hard to find. The GP 33AAAA something or other model# 1/2AAA can be purchased from Batteries Plus. they are a chain of stores and were able to build me packs within a week (they had to order these cells). they can weld a back in any configuration or at least the one that use to be by me could. Unfortunately this was just before the recession and they did not survive. look them up online. They have stores all over the place.

As an alternative, you can use the 220mAh HiModel LiPO or the Rhino 360mAh from HiModel.com and hobbyking.com respectively. They weigh 16 and 24 gr. Remember that you will probably need a regulator unless your servos and Rx can handle it. These usually list for 2 bucks or so a piece. I could get like 3 or 4 for the price of 1 NiMH from the above.

I have also heard of ThunderTiger lite or something like that but they tend to be more expensive.

Best of luck,

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:36 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,397 Posts
Thanks Pinecone.I looked at the specs again for the small cells and they are in fact fairly high output.Last time I was looked there wasnt a 1/3AA or 1/2AAA that would do 5 amps.I stand corrected.Those should work fine.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:24 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,674 Posts
I have been quite satisfied with using AAA NMH cells or Eneloop AAA cells and arranging them in a 4 cell configuration. You now get 600 to 900mah capacity with the AAA cells.
I use a AAA four cell holder for the battery pack and it works fine for me. I also wrap a rubber band around the pack to ensure the cells do not come loose either.

if you need really small. You can use a 3.7v Lipo cell and many RC systems and servos will run just fine with it too. You can get Lipo cells in a wide variety of capacities.

I also get the 9v nicad or NMH transister radio batteries and take them apart to get at the individual 250mah cells. You can pull 4 off without breaking the straps and make a tiny 4.8v battery pack out of them.
some of the older 9v batteries have 120mah cells, but they are about the same weight as the newer ones with 250 and 260mah cells inside. Anyway it was great for using with a Cox .010 powered RC plane.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jun 15, 2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 02:04 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,397 Posts
I really havent had anything small enough to need less than a AAA pack.Eneloops are xlnt so far.Have to be really careful about using "holders" especially with a rubber band around them.If it doesnt allow the cells to float in the holder and/or pulls them away from the contact side a bit bad things happen.I learned my lesson the hard way.I hard solder all my packs now.