HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:19 AM
Joined Mar 2011
122 Posts
Discussion
Suggestions for salt water flying

Can it be done without destroying the plane?
rc flyer dude is offline Find More Posts by rc flyer dude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2011, 05:17 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,867 Posts
Don't make the plane out of a metal that corrodes easily, iron, steel and aluminum are not really suitable

From a corrosion point of view, I would think the biggest problem would be the motors.

If anyone has an old dead motor, perhaps they could go and dip it in the sea for a while then let it dry, and check it out after a day or two.

The biggest problem to me about flying off the sea is not so much the corrosion, but the possible waves. Large areas of water, especially the sea seem to have annoying sized waves even on calm days.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:59 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,970 Posts
There is a product called CorrosionX that can be used to protect even iron surfaces from contact with sea water. A liberal spray of CorrosionX in the motors before and after each flying session should keep them in good shape.

Here is the science:

http://corrosionxproducts.com/howcxworkspage.htm

Here are the salt spray tests and some of the recommended uses:

http://corrosionxproducts.com/corrosionxpage.htm

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:25 PM
Joined Mar 2011
122 Posts
Can you put it on something that is all ready rusty and will it take the rust off?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:50 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,970 Posts
I'm not sure if it will take off the rust, but it will penetrate the rust and stop it from rusting anymore.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:29 PM
Excellence thru mistakes
Sanibel Island. FL
Joined Sep 2002
372 Posts
"Can it be done without destroying the plane?"

I would avoid it like the plague.

I live on an island surrounded by salt water. I live on a golf course with "fresh water" lakes where I fly. In reality the water is mildly brackish from the infiltration of salt water into the water table. I have had several crashes where electronics got wet. After each I ran water, followed by 91% alcohol, through the receiver and speed controller. I dried each with a blow dry from a hair dryer.

Even with that, the receiver failed about six months after one crash, fortunately while taxiing. When I got it apart I found green whiskers had grown from the copper wires shorting it out. This despite a thorough rinsing and very little salt in the water.

You will lose your electronics if they are dunked in salt water. You could encapsulate them in a tightly sealed plastic tube or a condom. I doubt corrosion x would keep the circuit boards from shorting out if dunked. But I may be wrong.

If you can find a nearby fresh water pond, you will be better off.
Corky Boyd is offline Find More Posts by Corky Boyd
Last edited by Corky Boyd; Jun 15, 2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 04:24 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2009
54 Posts
yes it can be done

have been flying a skyartec cessna then a phonex glider on floats off salt water successfully.

yes everything rusts fast. go stainless screws, or plastic parts, stainless steel welding wire for push rods etc (or carbon)

if the esc or any electrics get wet they WILL be stuffed (i had a good fire in the cessna once)

I went with a spray on polyeurathane paint (colored so i could see it) over all circut boards) then a thick layer of silicone grease over. then finally in sealed in a watertight compartment which i tape up.

similar approach with the servos, then coated the outside too.

get big heat sinks, as airflow is very limited.

motors last well is you wash them out & spray with CRC afterwards while running slowly

I posted a bit of detail on the phonex glider thread a while ago.

If its the only place you can fly- do it- better flying than not.
jason128 is offline Find More Posts by jason128
Old Jul 07, 2011, 12:30 PM
Joined Mar 2011
122 Posts
Cool, thanks
Old Jul 07, 2011, 02:36 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2009
54 Posts
i forgot mention that i learnt to fly on the cessna, it had so many crashes, flip overs etc that i lost count. used just to flip it over and keep flying, even though the motor and servos in the wings had been completely submerged for several minutes.
jason128 is offline Find More Posts by jason128
Old Jul 10, 2011, 02:10 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,842 Posts
ya, its doable, just give everything a good washout with distilled water when done, I just waterproofed the ends of the esc and RX with some silicone glue. the plane ended up upside down in the ocean while I was caught off guard by a gust of wind. after the flushing everything worked the same (don't forget to WD-40 the bearings of the motors after the rinsing)
RC vacation sea twins (3 min 37 sec)
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Jul 10, 2011, 06:43 PM
Joined Mar 2011
122 Posts
Very cool, thanks
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:17 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,474 Posts
May year ago, Don McGovern wrote a geat series of articles and columns about water flying and published plans for a number of large fying boat and amphibian models in Flying Models.

Don did speak about flying off salt water in his writings and did it from time to time. He was a big believer in a sealed "dry box" for all the radio gear so no water could get close to the radio gear and in careful treatment and flushing of the glow motor after any encounter with salt water. I do not recall what he did with exposed non-stainless steel metal.

These days, with so many great compostite, foam, carbon fiber and other non corroding materials, it is even easier to set up a model to operate from salt water....and long as the radio gear is absolutely sealed. Corrosion X on the ESC and any exposed connections, as mentioned above, would be manadatory.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:26 PM
United States, TX, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2011
142 Posts
I am south Texas I live on padre island with y parents when not at school and also am interested in salt water flying, ever since I was a kid weve had corrosionX around the house and definitly a coat on the marine engines. Can't tell you enough how important it is to keep a good coating of this on anything exposed not just to the salt water but even the salt air. The mist is just as corrosive as the water itself
south.tx.dead.I is offline Find More Posts by south.tx.dead.I