Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 03, 2011, 11:51 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,204 Posts
When yours gets here steve let see how it compairs to the 50mm kit I have...
Hey Brent I checked and the wm300 would fit but its tight....Should get it smokin!
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:46 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,581 Posts
SOUNDS GOOD! my dad has one of those...i tried and tried and tried to get it to run smooth....but never hapened. was trying to use a 2w in it.
id go with a 50mm setup, like a dons setup, a 4800 on 4s 1000 would be a awsome combo, and don dynamically balances them to run uber smooth.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:47 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/USAF-F-104C-Star...-/350469705367

i believe this is the one dan used.

id kill to get their F-86 and mold it...it would make a awsome high power 40mm model.
ive got a 400W 40mm setup that flew a 50mm j power T-33 with authority, and at around 85mph, and weighed 23oz...
Yep, just like that one, but I paid $59.00 delivered (if it shows. USPS). Was out of original box

They do have massive panel lines which detract from scale reproduction in my view.. Well done scribe lines are my choice. but cool never the less.

Scott, ley me know when you get that 104 out of the mold. No work on mine due to a hot day out here.

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Old Jul 03, 2011, 07:18 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,204 Posts
I think Tuesday for tape if I get the top secret wax asap...
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:29 AM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALECRAFT View Post
That is a &^#%@!!! BEAUTIFUL F-104 mold!!!!!!. Talent. I am humbled.

I had not planed on detailing that much till you raised the bar with that pic.

More work, but only needs to be done once.

What are the wing made from??? And why did you leave the tail section without a trim line. The mold Scott has is like that. More work.

steve
I just received the 21st Century F-104. And yes it is a copy of this model.
Although the mold is a nice one, my amazement was based on the original plug. A notation as to were the plug came from would have been good information .

In my opinion, the plug is were the talent lies. Making it fly is also part of that. Making a copy is also a talent, but not to the degree I would rate as the same as plug work.

Still impressive though!

Mine is slow going due to the odd contours on the intakes at the fuse and wing fairings. Model should help a bit

Steve
Old Jul 08, 2011, 03:18 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
So using the 21st century 1/18 model and a 1/48 scale old Testors model, I thought to do the intakes as part of the main fuse foam cuts.

Looks more like a 104 now. 3rd try.

Have to draw and fabricate the forward intake section former at the boundary layer now. A separate piece of the composite model.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:39 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Fuse construction on hold for one week. To resume 7/21.

New pic

The only new section (and hardest part to get right for me) I put, is the forward section of the intakes. They taper and angle back as in scale and are not over sized.

The shock cone is only for looks and not in the proper location size/shape from whats on the drawing source I am using.

Next will be a better nose to canopy area transition, canopy, wings and stabs. Wings tanks will be a 2.25" tube with correct tapers at each end. Fins.

Then glass of wine.

Then "fluffy" water base spackal. Then fine tune and shape, then glass, check shape, details,panels,ect....
Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:30 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,204 Posts
Nice Steve..that looks much better...Now the canopy...
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:40 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Ok

Back to work on this fuse.

Today it dawned on me on how to do the boundary layer (will be plastic sheet) at the intake and fuse as in scale. Once I cut those formers and cut off the intakes, I glued the sections of fuse I was happy with to the profile.

Once that had cured, I began to patch with light weight wall patch tinted blue with food coloring so I can see it.

Next will be canopy formers and rear section, then the nose.

Of course the composite wings will be a cake walk next to this fuse.

Steve
Old Aug 01, 2011, 10:57 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Decided to do the nose section since I thought of how to do it after seeing the Chino museum's F-104G.

Need to transition the nose into the Fuse section still. I have tapered the nose to more scale like after looking at this pic.

Next is the canopy.

Steve
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:56 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Slow going last few days. Fuse sections and nose glued together. Nose is glassed to set in place and avoid flexing.

Got lucky. Pretty straight fuse.

Canopy deck cut out.

Steve
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:01 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,250 Posts
Looking good!
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:59 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
man, that looks nice.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:25 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,522 Posts
well it does take time ...i should know....doing a 70mm f-20 and it takes forever to get things perfect for making molds.keep at it ,it is looking eal nice.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:33 AM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Last night I saw Scott's Arado 234 he's fabricating. His looks great. I hope mine turns out close to the way his fuse looks. Accurate shape and straight.

But competition (in a fun, friendly way) makes everyone push themselves to be better, hence, a better result from your work.

And we help each other with ideas and construction if need be.

Steve