SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:47 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
agreed. might try that sometime on an EDF......................even if it robs performance.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:38 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Probably best done with one of the high blade count fans otherwise the growl might be overpowered by the high pitched whine. Be a very cool experiment.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:42 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
agreed.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:19 PM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
992 Posts
You might want to check what Bob Violett has done with his EDFs. The primary modification is a stationary fairing in front of the hub of the blades. This is a air flow divertor that carries the air over the hub directly to the blades. The reason is that air flow in the center of the stream hits the spinning hub and is thrown radially outwards entering the blades at random angles and disturbing much of the central inlet area flow. He says this is the cause of the whining sound. His EDF F-86 Sabre makes a whine at the 1st 1/2 of the take-off until the airflow speed is no longer stalling on the blades. The sound then becomes a turbine swoosh and a noticable acceleration occurrs from the increased thrust.
I modified a 30mm F-18 like that and it was faster, but after a few flights, the rpm was over red-line and the whole fan section blew apart. Outstanding!!!
Violett also advocates a fairing over the motor with cooling holes and also to reduce turbulance in the exit flow.
I think your Starfighter can exceed takeoff and flying expectations, but it may use a lot longer runway for landing than anybody has ever seen.
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:45 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Jim-- Do you mean something like this? I couldn't balance the SAPAC fan with the spinner so I did away with it entirely and made an entry cone integrated with an intake splitter.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:57 AM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
All good ideas..

Let's see what happens when put to use.

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:30 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
I have a CNC router (Compucarve/carvewright)that I don't know how to use. Had it around 5 years now.

But since I hate cutting wood I have to learn how to use it. And it does a way better job once you learn. Plus, once you get the right size pattern, it just cuts as many as you want. I does way more than what I can do with it.

One of the two vert stab supports, and a trial tail cone piece along with a nose section piece.

The vert stab supports will have lightening slots in them once fitted.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:30 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Some of the other wood bulkheads that will be used in the first test model. The elongated one is just the test fit one.

No LG in the first one.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:08 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Well time to start getting parts to fit into the test flight fuse. (Note,1st one is a polyester fuse, it's a quick and dirty lay up, so It's not so pretty).

A quick assembly showed me that the wing bulkheads had to be moved further back in the fuse to place the wings in the proper location. This means the wing bulkheads needed to be trimmed down a bit.

The tail section came together far easier than I thought. I thought it that would be the more challenging section. Got lucky.

My variable tail cone is too small on the diameter, i will have to enlarge it by around one inch. Doesn't look right.

Steve

Steve
Last edited by SCALECRAFT; Feb 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
I have been delayed by the full flying Hstab configuration. I have looked at some of the types shown on the Avons F-104 and a few others.

The first test one I have will be made of 2 1/8" 5ply vertical 1/2"OD x1/4"ID bearing supports with a solid 1/4" alum "spar" passing through the bearings for Hstab support. The Hstab control will be via a large wood "control horn" similar to the configuration of the Avons.

The bearing supports will also have an empanage (spelling?) support at the tail and near the LE of the Vstab.

I have minimum play even as a mock up.

I also am using an old car oil damped shock to minimize/eliminate flutter as you can see. The permanent Hstab should be a pretty thin composite one i will make later.

If you guys use this idea, please remember where you saw it.

It's nice to be appreciated.

Steve
Last edited by SCALECRAFT; Mar 10, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:50 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Again, please ignore the ugly poly fuse. it was a mistake to make a poly one.

Steve
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:44 AM
Austin, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
254 Posts
Scale

Just balance the stab, statically and aerodynamically and you will not need the damper. Every gram you can keep out of the tail section, the better.

Peace, Wolf
bd5wingnut is offline Find More Posts by bd5wingnut
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:01 AM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
bd5.

I will balance it as well................
I agree that the weight in the tail should be kept to a minimum.
But I like the way it looks too.

Steve
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:16 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,194 Posts
You might be surprised at how well she balances out. With my turbine PA 104 that has a double walled stainless pipe in the rear... ALL the components in the plane are placed between the rear of the cockpit and the trailing edge. I was expecting to have to at least place the twin Rx packs in the nose, but instead they ended up just behind the nose gear wheel well.

Looking Great Steve.. Keep up the good work
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:05 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,520 Posts
Looks cool...But yes the shock is overkill!
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut