HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:20 PM
flyga ho ho sjunga ho ho!
Italia, Toscana, Bagno a Ripoli
Joined May 2009
66 Posts
Hi Steve. ok! ....but I think I know how to proceed. "You correct me if I'm wrong!" in practice I would use the frames to as photos and then make lie elsewhere .. you think I can be a viable solution?
p.s this is the my photos plans wich polistyrene frames.
at-6 texan is offline Find More Posts by at-6 texan
Last edited by at-6 texan; Aug 22, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:19 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALECRAFT View Post
I used the same pics.

But if I were to start again, I would use the 3views shown on the site called Fiddelersgreen F-104. Had I used the 3views shown there it would have been less work with the one extra lofting position at the wing root TE. That would make your intake easier to fabricate correct.

There is also a paper model the guy shows, it shows a good perspective on shapes if intake was flat sheet.

I would post the link, but my kid is the one that help me with that. I haven't got that link thing down yet.

Steve
Here ya go.... http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/...heed-F104.html
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Apr 2004
800 Posts
Thanks vettster.

at looks good, if you want the correct taper of the intake as it goes towards to TE, I would use the "F" bulkhead/pattern off the 3views from the link for grubbyfingers that vettster placed here. It looks like your cutting the fuse sides without the intakes on them. That may work better than what i did. After 3 different cuts of foam, with intakes without intakes, I used the ones with the intakes and worked them into the proper taper.

With the patterns from the 3views you ( and I used) the intake takes additional work to taper down to zero at the TE. i hope yours is less work than mine has been to get the right look.

What size is yours. And will it be composite or flying foam?

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Last edited by SCALECRAFT; Aug 22, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:50 AM
Joined May 2009
66 Posts
Steve i have the plans for building an F-104"G" in 1/10.35 scale but this is slightly more 'larger than 1 mm. this is an Master for composite mold..... however there will be a lot of work to be done.
p.s ok i try to use the "F" frame for built the central section.
after build this part please can say me if this is look good? thk
Last edited by at-6 texan; Aug 23, 2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:58 AM
Joined May 2009
66 Posts
Please Steve let me the yours E-mail so i can send you something files
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined May 2009
66 Posts
today i'm very happy. i find 3 photo's to F-104 where is looking good the section central to fuselage. "BINGOOOO!!!"
in practice and as I had thought: namely, that the frame # 14 which connects to the frame # 13 creating a cone and the frame # 13 to # 9 frames another cone, from 9 up to 6 remain unchanged with the frame # 6. if we have the possibility to exclude On the fuselage the air intakes from the fuselage would realize that section are nothing but circles. and air intakes other semicircles that are passing away to the ordered # 13. in practice for first make we build the internal frames order and then the semicircular air intakes to be connected in accordance with pictures.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Apr 2004
800 Posts
Pretty much like that.

If you look past the forward intake connection joint and only look at the back section, looks pretty simple.

Semi circles yes, but.......Just beware of the boundary layer (gap) at the fuse and forward intake. and take into consideration the shock cone tapered gap (Page 14, post #207) at fuse and equal distance from outer lip of intake. While incorporating all that into the fuse and boundary layer. An easy way would be to just eliminate the gap.

I am going with accurate forward intake. This takes a bit of patience.

steve
Last edited by SCALECRAFT; Aug 24, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined May 2009
66 Posts
steve yes ok!.
Last edited by at-6 texan; Aug 24, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Apr 2004
800 Posts
Hi All

Yes, it's been awhile.

So my mother in law sees this 104 in my work shop and asks "not done yet?"

Mother in law.

So I started making the shape corrections from my use of a bad layout drawing on the bulkhead positions. Also, I re-did the top spine 4 times. Too big 1/2 round to too small 1/2 round. Then finally the correct curved "A" shape was made and attached.

Not much to show at this point except the beginning of some of the initial details.

One of many louvered vents and a few of the hatches. Panel lines to come along with some of the big screws and piano hinge look at certain locations ie, rudder.

Glass fuse by end of year.

Excuse the messy desk. My mother in law also commented on that.

The louvered vent was made from taking a light glass tape and pulling a mold off a large HVAC zip tie. Look at any zip tie and you'll see what pattern I'm talking about

Steve
Last edited by SCALECRAFT; Nov 09, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:53 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,162 Posts
been there done this .....and your table looks just like mine did while doing the F-20 ,i think we talked for a bit at big jolt ,....it's take working on it every day even if it is just 1 hour.most guys have no idea how much effort it takes to make plugs ,parting planes and molds.looking good keep at it .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:20 AM
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
987 Posts
Glad to see you are back on it Steve! Clever use of the zip tie!

I'm looking forward to seeing more progress.

Paul
Tempest is offline Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Apr 2004
800 Posts
Thanks guys.

Yes AirSally we did talk a bit. Your all composite F-20 looked very well done. Big or small, from drawing to flight is a bit of work. Have to really stick with it.

Steve
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Apr 2004
800 Posts
A few pics on the detail part.

Hard to see is the 1/64" crepe tape that will be removed once the final white paint coat is applied. Then the alum tape panels/hatches applied to the white, then into the parting board.

The silver marker is the rough location of the details. Some will be alum tape panels some will be lines.

The scale rudder hinge was made by my wife's vinyl cutter. that detail is how all the moving surfaces are hinged with. Unfortunately, the wings hinge detail is on the bottom.

I have not put a wing fairing on the fuse to allow me to use different wings. The ultimate wing will be as thin as possible to allow max speed and still be able to land. Will have LE and TE flaps to help. Theoretically speaking at least.

Steve
Last edited by SCALECRAFT; Nov 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:30 AM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,602 Posts
Looks good Steve....I really need to get cranking to catch up..
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:46 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,162 Posts
awsome hinge detail
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY