HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2011, 05:15 AM
Hastings New Zealand
Joined Jun 2009
31 Posts
Discussion
SYMA S105G Coax

Hi from NEw Zealand. Been awhile since I first posted here . Have moved onto CP heli BUT I just recently for fun on inside days bought the SYMA S105G coax that you can recharge of your PCs USB slot as well of the transmitter. It's a fun little heli that is really stable that I've rigged up an obstacle course to make it more challenging What I am in interested in learning is what is the difference between my model and the SYMA S107 and S109? Visually I cant see any. Can you actually upgrade the lipo battery to get longrer flights and get replacement motors for the model. It only cost me NZ$47.90 so is it worth it to fix it (apart from the fun of trying to do so!!)
PaulGeertson is offline Find More Posts by PaulGeertson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2011, 06:51 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,649 Posts
It's been reported that the S105G is a little faster than the S107, other than the canopy and the livery the the two birds are near identical, intact I think it's only the PCB and canopy that are different, best way of getting more flighttime is to shed a few grams and or upgrade the cell, look up the following threads

S107 battery upgrade
And
S107 speed mods thread, open 24/7
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Jun 12, 2011, 06:52 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,649 Posts
For a video tutorial of how to replace/upgrade a LiPo checkout the 6025-1 micro hicopter thread or do a google search for killbucket, he haspads of photo tutoris on the S107.
Last edited by djdavies83; Jun 12, 2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 06:57 PM
Paris, France
Joined Sep 2010
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
It's been reported that the S105G is a little faster than the S107, other than the canopy and the livery the the two birds are near identical
It is my understanding that other than the canopy and the livery, the S105G and the S107 are currently identical (including the PCB) and that reported (slight) differences were because of comparing the S105G (R5 PCB) with an older S107 (R3 PCB). But I do not own the birds, so I may well have misunderstood something.
Bombyx is offline Find More Posts by Bombyx
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:10 AM
Hastings New Zealand
Joined Jun 2009
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombyx View Post
It is my understanding that other than the canopy and the livery, the S105G and the S107 are currently identical (including the PCB) and that reported (slight) differences were because of comparing the S105G (R5 PCB) with an older S107 (R3 PCB). But I do not own the birds, so I may well have misunderstood something.
Thanks for the feedback. It's a very stable smooth micro heli a lot of fun to fly.

I went back to the retailer with the thought running through my head that I buy a 2nd one I like it so much. But I find that they have sold out, which they were surprised as they said they usually only sell out at Christmas time. In my net surfing I see that it is a very popular micro heli. So I asked if they had any returns which I could use for spare parts. So they sold me a heli for $20 and threw in a transmitter which according to them both don't work. I get home and switch on the heli and the led lights up! So I think what the heck! Let's charge it up. I bind my tx to it and hey! it flys perfectly! OK, let's try the tx then. And what do you know, it works with both the returned and my heli. It can't get better than this. My thinking is that the tx and heli were never actually out of the same box
I now have 2 perfectly good micro helis
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:31 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,649 Posts
There has been a lot of luck recently, I know two members who bought spares or repairs S107 off amazon for 6.97 inc free shipping and they both have perfectly working helis, I'm getting a "works intermitantly" faulty S031 for fathersday, I'm hoping it's just a lose battery connector like with my S032.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:53 AM
Crashing takes practice
Midlothian, Va.
Joined Feb 2007
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
It's been reported that the S105G is a little faster than the S107, other than the canopy and the livery the the two birds are near identical, intact I think it's only the PCB and canopy that are different, best way of getting more flighttime is to shed a few grams and or upgrade the cell, look up the following threads

S107 battery upgrade
And
S107 speed mods thread, open 24/7
The pcb on my s105 says s107R5- identical to the 107
HoverNot is offline Find More Posts by HoverNot
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:40 AM
Hastings New Zealand
Joined Jun 2009
31 Posts
S105G Coax flight times

With regard to flight times, should I be limiting these to half the advertised times? and if I recharge it using the USB lead is there a risk pf over charging or is there circuitry in the USB lead to prevent this. I don't want to cook my battery like I did with a previous 2 ch heli
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:08 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,649 Posts
The yellow Syma USB cable is pretty reliable, I've read of people falling asleep and eking up with no harm to the Lipo battery, that said you should never leave a charging Lipo unattended!

I've had 2ch heli with kittle to mo charge protection, thankfully thing have improves since those days.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:19 PM
Paris, France
Joined Sep 2010
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverNot View Post
The pcb on my s105 says s107R5- identical to the 107
Thank you for confirming this. Being functionally identical to the S107 makes the S105G a very good alternative, considering that there are much fewer (if any) fake S105Gs than fake S107s.
Bombyx is offline Find More Posts by Bombyx
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:06 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,704 Posts
I got my S105G cheap last year and even though it is basically the same as the S107 I like it because of the blue canopy, it gives it a similar look to the Blade mSR

Before anyone goes off it and jumps down my throat, please take note I dis say SIMILAR not identical
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:04 PM
Who put C4 on my S107???
Joined Apr 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
I got my S105G cheap last year and even though it is basically the same as the S107 I like it because of the blue canopy, it gives it a similar look to the Blade mSR

Before anyone goes off it and jumps down my throat, please take note I dis say SIMILAR not identical
Ordered one today... It's a little lighter than the S107, if I am not mistaken.
DarkFall is offline Find More Posts by DarkFall
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:22 AM
Auckland. New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
164 Posts
I have one that I bought locally at Jaycar electronics.
It is an absolute blast to fly, I love it.
Obviously it is 3ch and that for me is great to get into RC helis.
I since bought a 4ch off ebay but it does not hover anything near as stable as the Syma.

For someone looking to start out there is nothing better than the S105G (or 107 if it is the same )
Simon.O. is offline Find More Posts by Simon.O.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:13 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,704 Posts
Simce you are enjoying your S105 why not go to my blog and download yourself the helipad graphic that fits into a CD case, that will give you something to aim for

It is about half way down my blog along with some instructions how to assemble it.

Some guys do three or four of these helipads and place them round their room to take off and land from one to the next. A bit of fun whilst improving your pilot skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.O. View Post
I have one that I bought locally at Jaycar electronics.
It is an absolute blast to fly, I love it.
Obviously it is 3ch and that for me is great to get into RC helis.
I since bought a 4ch off ebay but it does not hover anything near as stable as the Syma.

For someone looking to start out there is nothing better than the S105G (or 107 if it is the same )
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:42 PM
Who put C4 on my S107???
Joined Apr 2011
207 Posts
Anyone know of a source for S105 canopies? Nevermind.... Found them for around $3.00 each...
DarkFall is offline Find More Posts by DarkFall
Last edited by DarkFall; Jul 26, 2011 at 07:24 PM.