HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:18 AM
santa clarita ca
Joined Jul 2000
893 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX-8 or Hitec Aurora 9

Can anyone please tell me if the bugs are out of the Spektrum 8 radio?
I'm about to buy a radio for my Trex 600 and some of the posts about Spektrum scare me.

At the $350.00 price point, would I be better off with the Hitec Aurora?

JR, Futaba, are out of my budget.
new2heli is offline Find More Posts by new2heli
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:21 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,466 Posts
No they are working on DSMX issues with the Spektrum stuff.

I have the A9 - it rocks and IMHO is the better choice.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:39 AM
santa clarita ca
Joined Jul 2000
893 Posts
Good to know, thanks. I was hoping they had fixed some of the issues by now.
new2heli is offline Find More Posts by new2heli
Old Jun 12, 2011, 02:05 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,466 Posts
They had then they got new ones.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2011, 02:18 AM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Spektrum released a bulletin about DSM2 compatibility issues with DSMX radios and DX8 gimbal problems. So far initial reports indicate that those problems have been fixed. People who previously had problems with DSM2 receivers are so far flying trouble free. Also DX8's with the extra AR8000 receiver in the box that came from HH are already fixed so no need to send it back if you get one of those. My DX8 from ultimate hobbies only cost $365 w/ free shipping and it came w/ the extra receiver. With the extra AR8000, the DX8 is a great deal. I haven't heard of any other current issues so it seems like it'll be smooth sailing for the most part now.

The Aurora 9 is a nice radio, truth be told if the free optima 7 deal was still going on or I had the money back then I might have gone with that instead. Their receivers are certainly cheap and the battery telemetry is nice. The only issues that I know of with the A9 are with optical kill switches (not an issue for electric users) and the fact that it has the highest latency of any computerized 2.4 radio (debatable whether it is noticeable or not).
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Jun 12, 2011, 02:26 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
I haven't heard of any other current issues so it seems like it'll be smooth sailing for the most part now.
DSMX is the issue now:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1449512

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2011, 02:35 AM
Fast and low...
Joined Apr 2009
837 Posts
A9++.
aa78 is offline Find More Posts by aa78
Old Jun 12, 2011, 02:38 AM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Yes that's the compatibility issue I'm talking about. They sent out a bulletin asking people with DSMX radios with certain PID's to send theirs in to be fixed. So far those that have received them back say they no longer have a problem and all DX8's with the extra receiver originally sent from HH already have this fix so it's no longer an issue if you buy straight from them or someone who has one with the extra receiver from HH.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:42 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,083 Posts
There is an issue now with current owner who own DSMX radio BUT the new ones being sold like the DEAL WITH FREE rx has no issue.

So if BNF stuff interests you then buy a new DX8 with 2 receivers and your good to go.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:23 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,488 Posts
My JR9303 DSMX was $350, I got in on a good discount. It, like the DX-8 and others, had the DSM2 backwards compatability issue but they fixed it and it is working.

Two things sent me to the JR and a DSM2 system when converting from 72MHz to 2.4.
--Cost of receivers, at 50+ planes with receivers I had to have a cheap choice.
--Ease of programing and I do not find the A9 easy to use and do not like the touch screen.
--I need glider programing and side sliders (this knocked out the DX-8).
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:08 AM
windsor,ontario,canada
Joined Jun 2001
469 Posts
A9 for sure unless you like picking up pieces from "unexplained" signal lockouts. Spektrum is great for indoor with the clone recievers but be carefull on antthing of value.
adaptabl is offline Find More Posts by adaptabl
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:21 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,083 Posts
Hey adaptabl, try recommending the A9 for it's options and features it has over the DX8 instead of just brand hating the DX8. Many fly expensive models with the DX8.
When a member recommends a radio/brand over another based on hate for the other brand one wonders about that recommendation.

Other then the extra channel and touch screen the A9 had nothing else going for me but the BNF stuff that could take advantage of with the DX8 and of course the telemetry was what sealed the deal.

Nothing against the A9, but for me the DX8 was the choice. What the OP should do is hold both in his hands and get hands on impression of both radios before buying solely based on forum members recommendation fueled by dislike of the brand and hearsay.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:04 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,488 Posts
Adaptabl, I disagree 100% with your post. Yes the DX-8 with the DSMX enabled had a issue that caused lockouts but they have a fix for it. I have absolute trust in the orange receivers and they give as good as if not better service as the genuine Spek receivers. And I do have them in "valuable" aircraft thuogh value should not be the deciding factor for what transmitter you use or what receiver you use where...
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:48 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
I have both the DX8 and the A9.

For my money I'd say that if you have no need for BnF compatibility then the A9 is a great choice.

The DX8 is pretty much there now though, only remaining question mark in my mind is the problem with erratic output on some channels that seems to develop over time and may be a problem with pot quality.

This is not the same as the gimbals work that they are doing in the current recall.

Just have to see if this becomes a bigger issue as people get more hours on their radios.
Telrin is online now Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:02 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,084 Posts
Telrin,

Are you having problems with your gimbal pots? They are actually very good quality pots in the DX8. If you are having problems, have you had your radio serviced for the gimbal issue in the last week or so?

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor