HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:45 AM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
I'm going to watch this build. I used the Lightship hull to make a quick and dirty Clyde Puffer type model. I used the same Graupner power system as in the pics and it's perfect.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:47 PM
Towing for a living
United States, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2011
169 Posts
One Last Picture of her out on the wire.........some handsome guy in the foreground......hahaha
Tug Jaguar is offline Find More Posts by Tug Jaguar
Old Jun 17, 2011, 04:09 PM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,548 Posts
For control of the lights a small servo with micro switches glued to it works well. In center all is off, 1 way gives you the beacon the other running lights.
A trick that I do with LEDs is to spray silver on a sheet of paper then lightly dip the top of the LED in it. When dry do the same with black. Much more light comes out the sides.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:22 PM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Acton, MA USA
Joined Feb 2000
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILL RC View Post
A trick that I do with LEDs is to spray silver on a sheet of paper then lightly dip the top of the LED in it. When dry do the same with black. Much more light comes out the sides.
That's a great tip- thanks for sharing. I assume that it works best on flat-topped LEDs, as opposed to the dome-topped ones?
RCBoater is offline Find More Posts by RCBoater
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:49 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,845 Posts
Thanks for the tips on the lights!
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:38 PM
Joined Jan 2006
102 Posts
Relief wlv613

I served on the USCGC RELIEF WLV613 (light mast was a tri-pod) during the early 70s. We would relieve lightships on station for maintenance. Due to the rough seas off the Massachusetts coast, we primarily relieved the Nantucket (it beat the crap out of her crew). Between the foghorn (sometimes on continuous cycle for a week at a time), the high seas, and the dumb-ass Eastern Block Fishing Ships, and transatlantic freighters on auto pilot homing to our radio beacon and asleep at the wheel, we were lucky to survive.

I was so happy when I reassigned to a 378 Cutter. But then it was two months of Bravo or Charlie Patrol near Greenland (it ain't). At least on a 378, the crew was only stoned half of the time.

CFDBASHER is offline Find More Posts by CFDBASHER
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:15 PM
USLM/LV112
United States, MA, Beverly
Joined Jun 2011
4 Posts
RCBoater

Great Job, very interesting and informative. If you are interested in seeing the real LV112, let me know. The ship is docked in East Boston. I could arrange a personal tour. I have many photo's of the ship, inside and out also.
RJ48
RJ48 is offline Find More Posts by RJ48
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:35 PM
USLM/LV112
United States, MA, Beverly
Joined Jun 2011
4 Posts
LV112 photo's

Just a few... If you need a photo of a certain area, let me know, I may have it.
RJ48
RJ48 is offline Find More Posts by RJ48
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:04 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,433 Posts
What are the two mushroom shaped things on the bow (mushroom anchors)? In the first two pics.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:22 PM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Acton, MA USA
Joined Feb 2000
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
What are the two mushroom shaped things on the bow (mushroom anchors)? In the first two pics.
Foo
Yes- mushroom anchors.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:10 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,433 Posts
Why paint them orange? I would think being ground tackle they would be painted a color not to show the crud that they get buried in.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:53 AM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Acton, MA USA
Joined Feb 2000
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
Why paint them orange? I would think being ground tackle they would be painted a color not to show the crud that they get buried in.
Foo
I suspect that is a color chosen later in the ship's life.

The Lindberg kit represents the ship before her 1962 refit. In the link to the real vessel's history (post #4 of this thread), there is a nice B&W picture of the ship underway, in her pre-1962 configuration. You can see the starboard anchor, and it looks to be darker than the adjacent hull. I'm guessing the anchor is black, or at least a weathered, rusty sort of black.

I was active duty USCG back in the 80s. Back then, anchors were painted the color of the adjacent hull. (And still are today.) White hulled cutters had white anchors, buoy tenders had black anchors, and the polar icebreakers had red anchors. Anchor chain was always painted black, AFAIK.

So I'd assume that the anchors on the ship now are painted the same red as the hull-- to comply with the painting directives in effect when she was decommisioned in 1975.

I'm going to paint mine a weathered black color as a base coat, with a liberal drybrushing of various rust tones.
Last edited by RCBoater; Jun 21, 2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: always fixing typos!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:57 AM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Acton, MA USA
Joined Feb 2000
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFDBASHER View Post
I served on the USCGC RELIEF WLV613 (light mast was a tri-pod) during the early 70s.
Question for you: When you were on station, did you generally use just one anchor, or were both routinely used?
(If I had to guess, I'd say only one at a time-- I'd think the risk of fouling would be high with two.)
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:08 PM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Acton, MA USA
Joined Feb 2000
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ48 View Post
Just a few... If you need a photo of a certain area, let me know, I may have it.
RJ48
One area I have a question about-- the color of the inside of the bulwarks. The photos I've seen make it look like they were the same red as the outside surface of the hull. But one of the pictures you posted makes it look lik e maybe they are painted Spar.....at least on the foc'sle....?
(Or is that just sun-faded red paint?)
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:44 AM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Acton, MA USA
Joined Feb 2000
588 Posts
My speed controller came the other day-- I'm using a PF-52 from Action Electonics. I hooked it up last night for a quick test-- it works great-- great low-end control.

I'm still trying to sort out internal access. I was thinking about cutting the deck into 3 pieces, and gluing the foc'sle and fantail decks in place, and making the center section removeable. But the main deck is very cluttered, and it isn't easy to find a place to put the seam. I'm further restricted by the locations of the masts-- I'd rather not have them (with their wiring) on the removeable section.

I also realized last night that the hull doesn't have any scuppers molded into it-- any water that lands on deck has no where to go. (But leak into the hull through whatever opening I end up creating!) I'll have to fix that!
Last edited by RCBoater; Jun 22, 2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Only two typos this time- my best yet!