HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2011, 07:32 PM
Joined Jun 2011
36 Posts
Discussion
four corners marin county

hello,
i used fly at a spot called "four cornres" on the way to mt. tamalpais. this was many years ago. lately i have been thinking of starting the hobby again, but i see no flyers at the site, even after several drive-by's.
is it still an ok site?
thank you,
alex
alexmv is offline Find More Posts by alexmv
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:57 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
We still fly there (scale, floaters, etc) , but there's a new spot down by the Muir Beach Overlook called "Tick Point". You probably remember Willy? Elliot Fan and him pioneered flying there.

Drive thru Muir Woods, and turn right where you meet Hwy 1. Go up the hill past the overlook. Look for the gravel turnout on the right side of the road, at about milepost 7.7. There's a short trail through the brush to the landing zone and bench. C'mon down and check it out.

We still fly on Eastside Four Corners in Northeast winds, by the way.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:16 AM
Joined Jun 2011
36 Posts
hello,
i remember willy and elliot! i am happy to have reconnected. the four corners is much, much closer to me so i will keep trying there, but i will stop by to see the old faces. i am also scared stiff of losing my plane out there.....
on the subject of planes, before i buy one, what do you think of the hk asw28. has anyone seen one? i still have an unfinished supersidewinder. is it still a good one to fly?
i am going to try four corners again tomorrow, i hope to see someone there.
thanks for your reply, i'm sure we will meet at one of the two sites.

alex
Old Jun 12, 2011, 04:51 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
Super Sidewinders- we went through a major phase with them ten years ago. RPV, right? Build it!.

Not sure on the ASW-28, but we fly lots of scale stuff on eastside and also at Volmer Peak in Tilden park in northeast winds.

We've discovered a few more Marin sites in the last decade. There's a pretty amazing spot above Alpine Lake on Upper Ridgecrest. Theres a spot on Azalia hill by the parking lot on Ridgecrest, just south of Fairfax. We've also found a thermal spot above the Marin Civic Center on the Aquinas Fire Road that has thermals that makes every other spot I've flown look truly weak in comparison.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:21 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno View Post
We still fly there (scale, floaters, etc) , but there's a new spot down by the Muir Beach Overlook called "Tick Point". You probably remember Willy? Elliot Fan and him pioneered flying there.

Drive thru Muir Woods, and turn right where you meet Hwy 1. Go up the hill past the overlook. Look for the gravel turnout on the right side of the road, at about milepost 7.7. There's a short trail through the brush to the landing zone and bench. C'mon down and check it out.

We still fly on Eastside Four Corners in Northeast winds, by the way.

Tick Point is by no means New..... excellent for pure rugged slopers on a 20+ knot wind......

Wylie
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:03 PM
United States, HI, Kamuela
Joined Dec 2008
19 Posts
4 CORNERS!! That brings back MEMORIES--- 1968---Les Anderson and his OLD contest winning CIRRUS, DR.GOOD and his Molded 1/4 TOTAL SCALE KESTRAL, SAM CRAWFORD and his constant complaning, The guy from GUNNINGS HOBBYSHOP who could fly anything and did! CARL TOLP airline pilot flying my KURBY, I carried back from GERMANY,The rest of the names are gone but the picture of the sky full of gliders and an old BUZZARD trying to get through the gaggle, and letting go with his last meal, back door style, drifting back toward us, and were trying to keep our focus on our prize planes, what A Sight! Bob Hansen
Robert Hansen is offline Find More Posts by Robert Hansen
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:21 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,733 Posts
Well, I spent well over a decade flying at 4-corners. Still one of my favorite slopes ever and many good memories. Flew with Alex, Joe Thomas and Dave. Dan Hatfiled, Tony (slopemeno), Elliot, Willy, Wylie, old Joe, John Higgins, and Carl the Dr. and Mark the vet, Adam and many, many more.

Sean
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:57 PM
Joined Jun 2011
36 Posts
Hello
I am having trouble connecting to this site. Try to pm me I don't know if I getting posted
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:44 AM
Joined Jun 2011
36 Posts
hello,
somehow comcast or rcgroups got the connection back up again so here i am in good form.
i always had a hard time climbing on the east slope of 4 corners, so i was hoping that the ocean side was still used (the side with the wind vane visible from the road). i'll keep trying to find someone flying, but there is no path to the hill so not too many people must be using it. first chance i get i will go to the tick point and meet up with the gang again. in the meantime i think i will finish the supersidewinder and use that a a started plane before i go and crash the asw28.
thanks for your help, and stay in touch.
alex