HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2011, 03:37 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,772 Posts
I think the ring above the prop is spoiling the airflow. I also don't think that the skirt is helping at all, except perhaps to make it more stable in conventional flight. the increased thrust you probably feel is from the air cushion that forms underneath it, but that won't help once outside ground effect
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:02 PM
just look at it smokin'
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
Ah I had no seen those, thanks Nice Guy

Heres my playing, its not pretty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0-Oahs5ulo

I do believe there is an easier way.

Its impossible to watch those videos without thinking about the carpet.

So the question is does it need 3 gyros or 1 is enough to counter effect the motor torque?
z-matrix is offline Find More Posts by z-matrix
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:18 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,829 Posts
I think the Japanese one uses the second set of moving vanes to help counter act torque, perhaps even thats all they do. The top ones might provide a rudder elevator function. But as you can see I'm no expert so I throw it open to the floor!
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Last edited by Gary Mortimer; Jun 28, 2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:20 PM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,829 Posts
Version two getting better

Ball version two (3 min 55 sec)

I contained the yaw by mixing in a further 10% on the other surfaces, if you add too much extra yaw on those you loose authority in the vertical sense. It is a balancing act, no pun intended.
Last edited by Gary Mortimer; Jun 28, 2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 04:29 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,849 Posts
Outrageous! Watching with great interest and glee...

Big Atta-boy;

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Jun 28, 2011, 06:52 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,225 Posts
I am about to start a build of one of these and just watched this video that was posted earlier. I noticed at about 1:40 when he manipulated the control surfaces that there seems to be 2 sets, a high and low set. I am thinking this is why he can move laterally without a lot of tilt. Seems they move together so there is lateral "thrust" coming from the top and bottom at the same time in the same direction. Or am I missing something?

And I just noticed that the top horizontal ring seems like spring loaded flaps. You can see it in the very beginning of the main promo video. Seems there is a lot going on here for stability.

New japanese military Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) (2 min 31 sec)
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by techspy; Jun 28, 2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:11 AM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,829 Posts
Yep, those vanes are not at 90 or even 120 degrees to each other look more like 60.

I think the ones at the bottom are helping contain yaw or I should say enhance yaw control. If you look at the video of the white test one that seemed to have a slightly different arrangement. More angled fixed vanes along the bottom. However they do it they have it very crisp.

Looking forward to seeing yours fly Techspy, can compare notes then.

Having lots of thoughts for V3
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:28 AM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,829 Posts
Heres some outdoor flight

First outdoor flight of the ball (6 min 21 sec)

Probably about 8 to 12 knots of wind coming through the trees so the odd gust blowing it back. I'm going to concentrate on some GPS guidance flights with a wing for a while and once I have that perfected try and get the ball flying autonomously ;-)

Really looking forward to what others try with balls!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:49 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,010 Posts
OK! I think I got this thing figured out.
In the original video from 1:57 you can see the 8 control surfaces really clearly. Top 4 are at about half way, and the bottom 4 are about as low as they can get, offset at 45 degrees to each other. In flight, the top set sit like a "t", traditional rudder elevator, and the bottom set like an "X". I'm pretty sure they act together for flight controls, not separately. There's a small skirt at about 1/3 up. And I'm pretty sure the top ring of flaps are passive, perhaps acting as some kind of damper/stabilizer, and are slightly below the prop "ring". 8 sides, so 8 flaps/8 skirt sections.
So the prop wash goes over the 8 control surfaces which act together for up and down and turning. So for example, if the top 4's "t" sides are giving elevator up, then the bottom 4's "X" is acting like a Y-tail to also give elevator up. You can see them acting together if you look closely in the original video, such as going up the stairs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h7dP...mbedded#at=123
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Last edited by TheNiceGuy; Jun 29, 2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:57 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,225 Posts
Yep, I am thinking the bottom is for yaw only and the top for lateral movement. This would keep the mixing simple, allow for more authority when both are used at the same time. Also with the lateral movement coming from the top ones, seems it would allow more movement without causing too much tilt.

Still not sure about the "flaps" though. In one shot you can see them laying down "limp" when it is not running. So are they a controllable surface or just free floating? They look like they stay flat and straight when it is hovering. maybe there is some type of airflow cause for them to be straight?

Looking good, nice flight!

Just a thought, but how about using a larger coax heli power system? All the yaw and cyclic would be done without any weird control surfaces or mixing. Oh, and no torque concerns under high power climb-outs.....Hmmmmm
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:12 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,010 Posts
Found a bit more. My Japanese isn't that good, but I'll see what I can do.
http://www.ekouhou.net/%E7%90%83%E5%...010-52713.html

And here's a picture:

Looks like the CoGs right in the middle. Apparently its 42cm, 350g, 8min flight time, top speed 60km/h.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:20 AM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,467 Posts
Good find.
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:25 AM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,829 Posts
@Techspy for sure a coax motor arrangement would get rid of yaw issues I may have to find one to try. Was also thinking about using three smaller motors in 120 arrangement.

@TheNiceGuy perfect find thats just the ticket.

You can see the eight servos clearly, I was thinking the CG of this must have been around the centre as it rolls nicely when on the ground.

The angle that the second set of vanes make compared to the first will be important as I have a hunch they help with the secondary effects of controls that you get.

Gee I am tempted to tear down this one and make version 3, thank goodness I don't have four spare servos else I probably would.

What is interesting is the detail of the skirt arrangement and those other flaps is missing.

I will wait to see what you two come up with and then move forward again, really have to get this wing working!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:38 AM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,829 Posts
Heres what google translate says, looks like they are after patenting the ball shape ;-) Huge post coming, sorry.

The flying wing after taking off from where narrow vertical challenge [], which can be hovering, it is possible to move the ground after landing, the plane of Use provides useful flexibility to take off again.
Plane resolution unit sphere [12], in the wake of a propeller 1 38 is provided with three elevators and four ladder in front of the whole center of gravity than the 10 and 32 tail-sitter aircraft that can fly a vertical takeoff and normal cruise and is provided integrally with the fuselage surround it, and has a spherical body 8 has been released about the flight direction of the front and rear with an area at least equivalent to the diameter of the propeller.

DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE INVENTION
Technical Field] The present invention relates to an aircraft capable of vertical takeoff and normal cruise flight, primarily landing in the host country, especially spherical aircraft ground movement and is easy to take off again , tail sitter aircraft able to control the attitude control system on the same aircraft in both air and ground in order to facilitate the landing of the host country (type tail-sitter VTOL aircraft) on.
BACKGROUND ART
As shown in Figure 9, various conventional aircraft, the figure (a) the 22 other fixed-wing aircraft normally shown in the figure (b) and 23 helicopters shown in FIG. (c) type VTOL aircraft 21 as shown in the tail sitter aircraft capable of vertical takeoff and landing (aircraft VTOL) there.
The aircraft can take off and land vertically (aircraft VTOL) because it does not require a large space and wide running surface near the surface during takeoff and landing, urban, terrain, sometimes even landing in the forest and mountains, etc. is possible, it is possible that features a flexible operation. In addition, the VTOL aircraft in the air velocity is essentially zero, ie can be hovering from the ground to gather information useful in the field can not be approached. Furthermore, if the vertical topography needed to land the host country, with the hovering Wanaku energy inefficient, and waiting time can be stretched regularly collecting information on the ground.

However, Figure 9 (b) typical VTOL aircraft such as helicopter 23 shown is not efficient, high-speed cruise flight using wings as the 22 fixed-wing aircraft, speed, range expansion, In terms of performance, such as flight duration does not say it's better. Moreover, when the airfield is a complex operation that requires planting a non-linear, moving on their own ground in uneven terrain is nearly impossible, depending on terrain and position of the landing site have not takeoff if again.

Accordingly, there is a tail sitter scheme as a way of improving the performance of the aircraft during cruise VTOL. 9 (c) 21-type VTOL tail sitter aircraft shown, as well as 22 fixed-wing aircraft normally fly in cruise speed will do for the 6 wing is highly efficient fixed-wing aircraft during takeoff and landing is a The upward thrust in an upright orientation, the aircraft floated for about the same weight and thrust to the airframe, landing while performing under the tail section 33. Therefore, 21 type VTOL aircraft tail sitter does not require a tilt mechanism as an increase in weight complex also has a feature that combines the ability of normal cruise flight and landing of fixed-point configuration with a relatively simple aircraft that.

Patent Document 1 and 2, which discloses a VTOL aircraft type invented for this kind of tail-sitter.
Prior art reference]

Patent Document 1] JP 2001-213397 [Patent
specification U.S. Pat No. 5,289,994 Patent Document 2]
[SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION
[Problems to be Solved by the Invention

On the other hand, 21-type VTOL tail sitter aircraft must be equipped with a conventional propulsion system thrust-weight ratio is greater than one, need to be devised so that the position can be controlled at O speed, cruise difficult to control the transition between the aerodynamic flight-hovering flight, you need to land in an upright position perpendicular to the plane in windy situations, difficult to control the attitude around the ground, not moving themselves on the ground and there can be many disadvantages.

for contact with an obstacle, usually 9 (c) 21 aircraft VTOL type tail-sitter shows will be in touch with the other parts other than the 30 landing gear has not been assumed, the obstacle disaster is very high possibility of contact with the environment, such as indoor and forests, it is dangerous to fly the aircraft. Also, if the aircraft had collapsed during landing in the host country, as well as damage to the aircraft, it is impossible to take off again from there.

Thus, at present, "landed near the destination for a long time to gather information or → hovering hovering in the sky to collect information destination for high-speed cruise flight in advance → → wing vertical takeoff from confined spaces If you have trouble landing a vertical cylinder in-flight high-speed cruise → The wind took off again after successful mission → → → overcome obstacles in moving closer to get a deeper insight ground → The landing runway "use and very flexible and useful There are no aircraft can achieve the purpose.

The present invention has been made in view of these circumstances, that is intended to propose at least a portion of the aircraft can achieve the above purpose.
More specifically, the tail-sitter aircraft below the first novel but not limited to, the spherical plane can achieve the above uses at least part of the spherical shell by attaching to the runway or landing aircraft capable of vertical landing The basic aim has been to propose. Next, the configuration is simple and fast cruising aircraft capable of vertical takeoff and landing flight, the first is intended to provide a novel machine easily controlled tail-sitter. And the second is intended to propose a spherical plane can achieve the above purpose within the spherical shell by attaching a tail-sitter aircraft novel.
Means for Solving the Problems

plane spherical basic invention described in claim 1, according to the basic purpose of the
landing runway or landing vertically arranged the helm in the wake of three propeller propulsion system and possible airplane,
said airplane is provided integrally with said surround the plane, for front and rear of the flight direction with an area equivalent to at least the diameter of the propeller propulsion system and spherical bodies have been released,
that is characterized by having a.

The first aircraft was tail-sitter of the invention described in claim 2 according to the first goal,
and the airframe, propeller and propulsion system provided to the substrate, wherein the propeller propulsion system is provided in the substrate three and a rudder in the wake arranged in tail-sitter aircraft capable of vertical takeoff and normal cruise flight,
have been characterized by the elevator and rudder were established over the center of gravity forward.

present a second spherical plane as described in claim 3 according to the second objective,
the aircraft provided the aircraft with a propeller propulsion system, wherein after said propeller propulsion system is provided on the substrate Of the three, placed in the current rudder, elevator and rudder are provided in the front than the center of gravity of the whole, the type and tail-sitter VTOL aircraft that can fly a vertical takeoff and normal cruise,
the aircraft type VTOL tail sitter said provided integrally with the substrate enclosing for front and rear on the direction of flight with an area equivalent to the diameter of the propulsion system propeller wherein at least the body and a spherical shell that is open,
that is characterized by having a.

a spherical plane that is described in claim 4, in the sphere of aircraft according to claim 3,
in 90 intervals of the four canard connecting said body and said spherical body in front of the whole center of gravity than provided, said elevator and said ladder is provided in two portions of said canard 90 apart from each other,
the tail wing of the four connecting said body and said spherical shell in the substrate than the center of gravity for the entire backward provided at intervals of 90 so that the position between said aileron is characterized in that it provided該主wing.

a spherical plane that is described in claim 5, in the sphere of aircraft according to claim 4,
the ground rotational movement, vertical takeoff, hover, suitable for any aspect of operational aspects that are selected from the group operates, including the normal cruise flight In order to obtain or center of gravity, has been characterized by having a control means for moving the center of gravity moves within said heavy airframe mounted to the substrate.

a spherical plane that is described in claim 6, in the sphere of aircraft according to claim 4,
in order to escape without assistance from the state waited in the recess fitted into the ground rotational movement angle of the propeller pitch propeller propulsion system By reversing the direction of rotation or propeller pitch to reverse, have been characterized that can be configured to invert the direction of thrust.

a spherical plane that is described in claim 7, in the sphere of aircraft according to claim 4,
in order to escape without assistance from the state waited in the recess fitted into the ground rotational movement, said wing aileron said work has been characterized by configured to generate a rotational moment will be.

a spherical plane that is described in claim 8, in the sphere of aircraft according to claim 4,
in order to improve the efficiency and stability of normal cruise flight in flight, wings expanded as a part of said spherical body which can be expanded and features.

a spherical plane that is described in claim 9, in the sphere of aircraft according to any one of claims 1,3 to 8,
remote control, has been characterized by an unmanned aircraft capable of autonomous .
[Effect of the Invention

According to the spherical plane of the basic invention, less damage occurs during landing because the ball shape, the conventional models and terrain can also land that can not be landed. Moreover, it is possible depending on conditions on the ground landing runway even if the weather and vertical landing aircraft. Also, in that case, only if you observe the sedimentation rate, as established by such an attitude which can land it without breaking while rolling, so wither the land line with a stable vertical行Nawanaku a difficult landing, which ensures that the cylinder. Also, because the aircraft is covered by a spherical shell, to become stronger than contact with the ground, such as contact with strong walls and ceilings of buildings, for example.

According to a first aspect of the aircraft tail sitter while being placed center of gravity and the rudder surface can be obtained about the direction and vertical stability in level flight, the same operations in the air causing the steering, even in the same direction as the ground it is possible to move the nose. This is not the secondary, increasing stability and become the center of gravity close to the ground in the ground plane, tail sitter that can ground the wing structure to place larger and stronger compared to the tail will contribute to the benefit unit.

According to the spherical plane of the second aspect, less damage occurs during landing because the ball shape, the conventional machines it is possible to prevent a landing to landing terrain. It also can be vertical landing aircraft, and runway landing possible, depending on weather and ground conditions. Also, in that case, only if you observe the sedimentation rate, as established by such an attitude which can land it without breaking while rolling through the land stable condition with a vertical landing difficult行Nawanaku Since the line droop, which ensures that the cylinder. Also, because the aircraft is covered by a spherical shell, to become stronger than contact with the ground, such as contact with strong walls and ceilings of buildings, for example.

Furthermore, using the tail-sitter aircraft attitude control of the first invention that incorporate a configuration, the rudder control surface moment occurs in the ground and the propeller slipstream, tilt to move the aircraft attitude toward By continuing, it is possible for the entire aircraft rotational movement.

Thus, since every time you have to move the earth飛Bi上Garanaku, you can conserve energy and be safe. Rotational movement in only a big step in the face of steep slopes and difficult to overcome, and it took off from a temporary jump.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE DRAWINGS

[Figure 1] (a) is a diagram showing the attitude control of the aircraft on the ground by the tail Shitta assumed as the basis of the first aspect the present invention, (b), the present first shows an attitude control of aircraft on the ground tail-sitter's.
2 FIG 2 is a diagram showing the configuration of a spherical plane or the second embodiment of the present invention the base.
[Figure 3] Figure 3 is a diagram showing a spherical shape of an airplane or a second embodiment of the present basic invention.
[Figure 4] Figure 4 is a diagram showing how the spherical plane of rotation of the second embodiment of the present invention through the base.
FIG 5 Figure 5 is a diagram showing the behavior of the plane when the sphere is in contact with the wall a second embodiment of the present or basic invention.
6 FIG 6 is a diagram showing a modification of the spherical plane or the second embodiment of the present invention the base.
7 FIG 7 is a spherical plane or a second modified example of the present invention the base, the thrust reversal is a diagram showing how to escape from the inverted state.
FIG 8 is a spherical plane is a modified example of the present invention or the second base, the rudder surface integration is a diagram showing how to escape from the inverted state.
9 FIG 9 is a diagram showing a variety of conventional aircraft and its landing system.
BEST MODE FOR CARRYING OUT THE INVENTION

The following description with reference to Figures 1 through 9 embodiment of the invention.
1. For the first invention and the embodiments
of the invention, as a starting point for devising a tail-sitter aircraft according to the first goal, 1 first (a) As shown in 31, tail-sitter aircraft base assuming.
31 aircraft tail-sitter this base, we achieved more than one thrust-weight ratio for a propeller 1 of the large diameter propulsion system, ailerons 5 in 38 propeller slipstream, lift 3, but anything that is placed ladder 4 be. If such an aircraft, even if the aircraft hovering vertically in an upright position, aircraft roll, pitch, yaw control is possible.

Furthermore, considering the purpose of the present invention, the airplane because they expect even take off again and landing in the host country, without a collection device apparatus and starting a special landing, ground 33 the tail of the aircraft was to take off vertically from the state, land vertically and can be made to ground the tail section 33.

As the first aircraft at the base of the present single-engine plane and a simple structure for anti-torque propeller 1, the ailerons to be canceled at 5, 9 (c), as shown in double By reversing the propeller or multiple propellers 27 inversion is possible by trading off weight gain and also to offset the anti-torque propeller 1.

Figure 9 (a), 22 fixed-wing aircraft of the ordinary, as shown in the wing near the center of gravity, which is located away from the center of gravity to the rear stabilizer, elevator and rudder 4 3 7 tail are placed at the rear end. When in level flight the nose lead to 22 fixed-wing aircraft such as this, three elevators on the trailing edge, it is necessary to generate momentum gain by raising the head downward force of the tail 7.

31 vertical takeoff aircraft tail to think about the structure of such sitters. Figure 1 (a) As shown, lift and move the cause of three similar operations in the air, upon the wake of a propeller plane rudder 38 is 1, the force acts in the same direction as the air, and ground in the center of gravity The rotation movement rather than 10, mainly because the rotation and the ground point 34, and sister cause the aircraft to tilt in the opposite direction, it becomes difficult to control. This would cause lies in the air and ground reversed in relative position of the rudder surface and the center of rotation to generate a pitching moment.

Accordingly, the present invention is to achieve the first objective, to get a tail-sitter aircraft landing in the host country is easy to control the aircraft attitude control scheme of the same in both air and ground We propose a tail-sitter aircraft was able to.

Figure 1 (b), as shown in the first 32 aircraft tail sitter present is located in the center of gravity forward of the rudder and four 10 elevator 3 has become a canard-style aircraft tail sitter.

Thus, while the rudder surface and is positioned center of gravity for stability is obtained in vertical and horizontal flight direction, steering the same cause of action in the air, the nose can be moved even in the same direction as the ground be.

This is not the secondary, increasing stability and become the center of gravity close to the ground in a ground plane, ground to place a strong structure and six large wings compared to the tail section 33 have contributed to the benefit unit that can be tail-sitter.

2. For the second embodiment of the present invention and the basic and
then to achieve the goal with the base To achieve the second objective at the same time, the plane of the basic invention can be a safe landing runway or landing on uneven terrain vertical There, it is possible to move the ground after landing in rough terrain can move the entire body rotates, the invention proposes a second plane that can reliably perform the takeoff cylinder with vertical takeoff and stable again.
Here, the plane of the second invention is an application of a tail-sitter aircraft of the first invention, wherein the plane and spherical body surrounded by a spherical shell integrated in their expectations.

As shown in Figure 2, this sphere is 12 aircraft, 32 aircraft and the tail-sitter with a basic structure of the first invention and substantially similar to, and integrally connected to the aircraft tail unit 32 surrounding the interior of this sitter 8 has a spherical body was.

As shown in Figure 2, 32 tail sitter aircraft, engines and two electric motors, such as a propeller propulsion system provided the aircraft has a propeller driven by a rotary motor is connected in conjunction with two that.

In addition, three rudders disposed in the wake of a propeller is provided in said body (elevator, rudder and ailerons), one elevator is provided with three forward and four ladder than the 10 center of gravity of the entire vertical it is usually possible to cruise flight and landing.

In addition, the forward center of gravity than 10, are provided at intervals of four 90 7 tail four spherical body 8 and connecting the fuselage, elevator and rudder 3 4 wherein said 90 to each other 7 is provided by two of said tail so as to distance. In addition, 7 of this tail can also be called a canard that has been placed in the front center of gravity than 10. Also, the rear center of gravity than 10 is arranged in four 90 intervals so that the tail between 7 and 6 positions of the four wing connecting the body 8 and the spherical body, said wing aileron該主5 6 are provided.

As shown in Figure 2, the spherical body 8 is not a complete sphere is composed of the outer surface is not closed. The sphere would be covered by a full profile, in order fulfill its function as an aircraft, flight direction for the front and rear of the area fraction corresponds to the diameter of the propeller at least one must have been released. In this embodiment, the ability to rotate efficiently on the ground with no ground plane rudder and propeller during rotation of earth, water, reducing the negative impact on the effectiveness rudder and the lift-drag ratio, easy to manufacture and is durable lightweight seek to be, 2 and 3 (a) shows the ball close to the outer frame structure shown in Fig.

Figure 3 (a) as shown and described with comparisons to the globe shape of the body 8 spherical, direction of thrust is parallel with the earth's axis, 0 degrees latitude (the equator) and the latitude of 30 degrees latitude, and linked to each other skeletons placed in increments corresponding to the meridian of longitude 45 degrees constitutes a rigid spherical body 8 of the integrated structure. Furthermore, in the present invention "spherical bodies" are not the only mean to necessarily a complete spherical shape, the dodecahedron to the other, rolling on the ground and easy to like and icosahedral soccer ball shall contain nearly spherical shape.

Furthermore, Figure 3 (b) as may be part of a band covering the full range of sphere 20 -30 to +30 degrees latitude. In this way it can be further enhanced rigidity of the whole, you can choose more freely where to place the airplane connections inside. This portion of the strip in Figure 3 (b) The board may, as in a plane can limit the impact of flight stability in the network will be preferred覆E.

As shown in Figure 4, the embodiment 12 of the spherical plane, after landing, move and rotate on the 36 ground, overcome obstacles, if any, in the end to a suitable position has been re-scheduled to take off. Here, in order to efficiently roll on the ground 36 spherical body 8 itself, there is a need in the center of the spherical body 8 to 10 center of gravity.However, when the spherical shell-like body 8 and the embodiment of nearly spherical shape in the form of 32 aircraft canard tail sitter, and tilted 90 degrees from the vertical position over the ground, reversing the direction of the torque to the steering angle be. Therefore, it is continuously rotated about the rotational speed of one rotation can continue to give way while on the aircraft, after one rotation inertia, the rotational moment on the aircraft while on the way back such action is required to give. Therefore, this embodiment 12 the plane of the sphere, such as the effect of slightly lowering the microspore got up from the center of the sphere center of gravity, as shown in Figure 4, with no external force will naturally give set to face over the nose and. This makes possible the smooth vertical takeoff.

Further, in order to facilitate the take-off, cut in a plane parallel to the plane of rotation of one propeller only the bottom of the spherical body 8, can be effective provided substantially circular flat surface.

is slightly lower than the center of the sphere center of gravity (level flight in the back) by now, to earn a control moment in the air and increase the area of the rudder 4 elevator 3, and forward as possible need to increase the distance between the center of gravity placed.But the forward has one propeller, as the forward propeller placed one reduces the diameter of the propeller fits in a spherical shell body 8, a narrow range of 38 you need to wake hovering attitude control of will be.

Thus, the diameter of the propeller 1 required is determined by the size of the surface of the rudder and other ladder and 4 elevators, 3 required during hovering and its location is to be placed in the front as possible within the body 8 spherical shell . Position of the propeller 1 are determined, as described above with reference to Figure 1, to place the ladder elevator 3 and 4 immediately after.

The above increases the rudder surface, should be placed behind the large vertical stabilizer and the wing to get the 6 and the static stability and vertical orientation, fit within those narrow spherical body 8 is necessary in order to devise. The distance of a spherical shell around the body 8 because of the limitations, if a large rudder angle and rudder lift 3 or 4, and 6, etc. can interfere significantly to wing wake 38. To reduce this interference as possible, as described above with reference to Figure 1, six wings and wing arrangement so that the X-axis of the rudder 45 degrees in the middle of three and four elevators.

For ailerons 5 suppress the torque reaction of the propeller 1 occurs when the vertical takeoff, from the effectiveness rudder size and torque, as described above with reference to Figure 1, has decided to install four behind these .

Thus, according to this embodiment of the spherical plane 12 inside the body 8 attached to the aircraft tail sitter spherical shell 32 of the first invention, the host country in the vertical without requiring a special mobile takeoff, level flight, it is possible to move the ground and landing runway.

As shown in Figure 4, ie, if a spherical body shape, using a tail-sitter aircraft control positions in 32 of the first invention, such as elevators and rudder 4 and 3 in the ground 38 propeller slipstream control moment generated surface rudder (in the figure represented as arrows aerodynamic forces generated by steering lift) allows the continuing tilt position in the direction to move the aircraft can move the rotation of the entire body, as indicated by the arrow be.

Thus, since every time you have to move the earth飛Bi上Garanaku, you can conserve energy and be safe. Rotational movement in only a big step in the face of steep slopes and difficult to overcome, and it took off from a temporary jump.

Moreover, by the outer spherical shell body 8, in addition to land that can move in rough terrain, can be obtained following three effects.

First, first, because the shape is a sphere, there is no fear of taking off again and not be corrupted or lying on the ground 32 aircraft tail-sitter aircraft provided in the spherical body 8, strictly vertical holds the position, without having to almost zero speed, it is possible to simply protect the sink rate and vertical landing. Ability to consider the ground move, it is possible with conventional machines to land should not be landing terrain.

Second, when making a landing runway 12 aircraft this sphere as in the example, if you observe only the rate of subsidence, as was grounded in what position, while rolling safely without damaging can be landed. That is capable of landing runway 32 aircraft in the tail sitter, in windy situations, since both make a stable landing is very difficult行Wanaku a vertical landing, which means that it is possible to ensure cylinder .

Third, since the spherical body covered with eight aircraft, in addition to contact with the ground, as shown in Figure 5 that include a strong contact with the walls and ceilings (not shown) 35 and be. Figure 5 (a) ~ (c) As shown, when in contact with an obstacle such as a wall 35 in a plane hovering sphere 12 of this embodiment, the force increment from the last contact, 12 spherical plane let tilted toward the imposing wall 35, reducing the thrust from that state, to return to the vertical position while in contact with the fulcrum point, which can also hold the contact position.
Next, a more detailed feature describes the parts of the spherical plane of a variation of this embodiment shown in Figure 6 plane and spherical embodiment shown in FIG. In addition, the basic configuration of the spherical plane of the modification shown in Figure 6 because it is substantially the same plane and substantially spherical in Figure 2, shall be omitted for the appropriate basic configuration with the aid of the embodiments described above you.

12 the spherical plane of the embodiment of Figure 2, slightly lower than that set in the center of the spherical body 8 to 10 center of gravity, center of gravity 10 is located is variable. Spherical plane 12, ie, the control means has a center of gravity moves to change the position of center of gravity 10.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 08:48 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,010 Posts
I am going to take a crack at this when I get the chance. I just wanted to add that in that diagram I linked:
3) elevator
4) rudder
5) all four of them are labeled as either aileron or elevon, the phonemic translation makes it unclear for me.
9) servos
10) CoG
19) battery

Its obviously a slightly different model, no "prop ring flaps", etc.
In the video, the control surfaces are cut down in a "U" shape. Why did they do that?

As a side, I also just ran across this crazyball plane:
http://www.crazyplanesrc.com/crazyplane-crazyball.html
Last edited by TheNiceGuy; Jul 03, 2011 at 09:01 AM.