HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:44 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,028 Posts
If you keep doing that you'll get your haircut via the prop.
Looks good, you have 2 rate gyros on that? I've never used gyros.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2011, 08:49 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,869 Posts
I am using a CopterControl board.

Right now I am looking at depron and thinking of starting on a ball. Its made me look closer at the original. I can see now that the lower surfaces do move and seem to be 90 degrees out of phase with the upper ones.

Will look closer at the white development one and see if that looks the same.

They appear to move opposite to the upper surfaces and I wonder if thats helping to get rid of yaw induced by the motor.

The early one has tabs on the bottom which I assumed did that.

Looking at the white one, it does not even look like 90 degrees more like 60. Has anyone seen any better stills??
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:07 AM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,869 Posts
Well based on if you don't start you will never know have been playing with paper this afternoon and am close to starting cutting

Its going to be very simple and might just yaw away. I also think its going to be close to impossible to know which way its going.

I shall update here when I have more, anyone else trying to build one this weekend??
Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:14 PM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,869 Posts
Ok so its a couple of hours later

If it lifts off the deck I shall bother adding more hoops, otherwise I will just cry into a beer.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 05:25 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,810 Posts
if it is not controllable, try rising up the battery pack. The CG should be ahead of the vanes.
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:48 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,028 Posts
Wow nice work!
Won't that horizontal hoop get in the way of airflow? Or is this part of your evil master plan?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 03:25 AM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,869 Posts
I could pretend it is but really its just waste from the internal cut that fitted and I tacked it on to help hold it together when sticking it.

@Brandano I will move the battery up I knew making that slot there was a mistake but I will move receiver and rotate the battery and that will move the CG up a bit.

Just looking at it, it looks short coupled now something I did'nt see when sketching it out. Another reason I am a fan of just making things and trying until it works. So I may end up moving the motor up a touch.

I will add the skirt if you will, the band wrapped around below the equator in the other one. Not sure if thats there as an annular wing for forward flight or duct.

The IMU is mm south of the physical centre point. On the POGO I just put it where the cables reached from the servos and I think that was a cludge. It looks like as its parked in the centre now I am getting sensed reactions much faster now.

So more bodging today and I might get it flying nicely. Or just goto the pub!
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:26 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandano View Post
if it is not controllable, try rising up the battery pack. The CG should be ahead of the vanes.
Wouldn't you want the CG low for this project? In the drone video the ball doesn't hardly change attitude during forward flight. It might tilt slightly forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
I am using a CopterControl board.
Just found this thread.

Great minds think alike I have the KK single copter board on order, is that what you are using?

I'm following your progress with interest. By the time I get ready for mine, you should have this perfected what's the diameter of the ball you're using? I'm thinking ~ 15" would be a good size. I actually have one of the small HiMax counter rotating motors that I bought on a whim and have never used. That might be a solution to any torque problem.

Azar
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Last edited by Azarr; Jun 25, 2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 03:44 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
Wouldn't you want the CG low for this project? In the drone video the ball doesn't hardly change attitude during forward flight. It might tilt slightly forward.
I'm guessing teh tighter the CoG to the thrust vector (dont know the 'official' aeronautic terminology) the more responsive it will be? So a higher CoG will say reverse direction much faster and smoother than a lower CoG which would bob and lag?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 03:46 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
Wouldn't you want the CG low for this project? ...
No, it's an illusion. This is not an helicopter and the rotor head does not teeter. this means that the vector of thrust always goes through the CG when trimmed, irrespective of what the asset is. Even if the plane tilts, there's nothing straightening it up, except pilot inputs.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 01:03 AM
Permanently Banned
Stumptown
Joined May 2008
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandano View Post
No, it's an illusion. This is not an helicopter and the rotor head does not teeter. this means that the vector of thrust always goes through the CG when trimmed, irrespective of what the asset is. Even if the plane tilts, there's nothing straightening it up, except pilot inputs.
Wouldn't a CG closer to the center of pressure make the aircraft tend not to roll when moving?
underthefloor is offline Find More Posts by underthefloor
Old Jun 26, 2011, 09:34 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,810 Posts
underthefloor: Yes, if you consider the CG and the center of pressure having them close would reduce the tendency to tilt when the plane is hovering. Actually, having the COG below the center of pressure/center of drag would provide a righting moment, at the cost of making conventional flight impossible. But it's irrelevant how close or far is the COG from the position of the motor, and this is a common error a lot of people seem to fall for. it's more important to put a greater distance between the COG and the control surfaces.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:20 AM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,869 Posts
I think I am learning that Brandano....

Will try and make a video of how it flies so far, its not pretty. Yaw is the issue.

Just considering tacking on a bit of a skirt first to see if that improves things.

I don't have the design smarts that you chaps have, just the suck it and see analysis plan ;-)

Certainly know some of the things I will be doing in version two already!

Once again anyone got better images of the original Japanese one??
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:16 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,028 Posts
Good work Gary. Post videos of the failures if you can as it will help me in making mine.
I would have started this last week but got sidetracked with my new GoPro and FPV gear!
I'll try to get more specs on this end of the original for you if possible.
In the mean time, you may have seen these videos:
New japanese military Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) (2 min 31 sec)

I noticed at 1:35 he makes it reverse on the floor. I can see he's using a reversable motor. If you blow up the video, there's some half-decent stills.
FLYING BALL (1 min 5 sec)

謎の偵察飛行物体 防衛技術シンポジウム2010 (3 min 23 sec)
Last edited by TheNiceGuy; Jun 26, 2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 02:04 PM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,869 Posts
Ah I had no seen those, thanks Nice Guy

Heres my playing, its not pretty

First crack at a ball drone (2 min 5 sec)

I do believe there is an easier way.

Its impossible to watch those videos without thinking about the carpet.