SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:50 PM
Joined Oct 2003
27 Posts
hi Kelly,

let me rephrase my question again.

how to connect my bottom 4 servo so that when I input a pitch/roll command the bottom 4 vanes will move just like we saw in Sam video (post 169).

I have tried your earlier post sketch. only two bottom servo move with pitch/roll command.

thanks in advance.
mp7.5 is offline Find More Posts by mp7.5
Last edited by mp7.5; Oct 24, 2011 at 10:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:58 AM
Joined May 2010
430 Posts
Ivan,

The sketch is correct, Sam confirmed this matter, recheck my drawing, notice the two upper control vane servos that are Y'd out before the mixers.

You are missing something, post a photo of your setup and a drawing. With this information I maybe able to help you.

Kelly
corocopter is offline Find More Posts by corocopter
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:21 AM
Joined Oct 2003
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corocopter View Post
Ivan,

The sketch is correct, Sam confirmed this matter, recheck my drawing, notice the two upper control vane servos that are Y'd out before the mixers.

You are missing something, post a photo of your setup and a drawing. With this information I maybe able to help you.

Kelly
Hi Kelly,

Base your on sketch. Imagine you give a pitch command.

1) the top servo will move
2) the y out from pitch command will go to a mixer
3) for the above mentioned mixer the command will go to the two bottom pitch servo
4) The two bottom roll servo WILL NOT respond to the pitch command
5) the results is only top pitch servo and two bottom pitch servo are moving. Not like the video we see in post 169, all 4 bottom servo are responding pitch command when roll and yaw are stay in neutral position.

My problem is how to get the 2 bottom ROLL servo respond to the PITCH command only? So when I give only a pitch command ( NO other command from TX) All 4 bottom servo will move.

Your sketch can move all bottom servo, but you need to give PITCH and ROLL command at the same time.

Thanks
Last edited by mp7.5; Oct 25, 2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:20 AM
Joined May 2010
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp7.5 View Post
Hi Kelly,

Base your on sketch. Imagine you give a pitch command.

1) the top servo will move
2) the y out from pitch command will go to a mixer
3) for the above mentioned mixer the command will go to the two bottom pitch servo
4) The two bottom roll servo WILL NOT respond to the pitch command
5) the results is only top pitch servo and two bottom pitch servo are moving. Not like the video we see in post 169, all 4 bottom servo are responding pitch command when roll and yaw are stay in neutral position.

My problem is how to get the 2 bottom ROLL servo respond to the PITCH command only? So when I give only a pitch command ( NO other command from TX) All 4 bottom servo will move.

Your sketch can move all bottom servo, but you need to give PITCH and ROLL command at the same time.

Thanks
Ivan,

Your written comments are correct and that is how the controls work, your visual observation of the video is incorrect. His controls work exactly as the my sketch suggest. The last half of the video shows all four lower vanes working in the yaw command. When Sam moves the pitch and roll sticks they move upper and lower vanes as I have previously mentioned. Don't forget that there are 3 gyro on-board responding to his motion of the sphere, this will also make for an interesting visual problem.

The craft will not fly if you want the pitch control vanes to respond to roll control inputs and vis versa. It will not work, you are getting mixed up by the what you think you see and what is really going on. Back to the Crazy Ball, it work exactly like the controls in the video I posted for that craft.

I can tell you maybe frustrated, your on the right track, but you have created a conflict within your visual observation that I cannot correct. Just go look at the Crazy Ball setup and copy what you see there. You understand my drawing now, your explanation is understood on my part, but I cannot correct for this error. Your asking for something that will not work, and was not built by Sam. Also go look at the the original video posted by the news agencies of the Japaneses sphere moving the controls. It works the same considering the use of 6 servos instead of 8.

Best of luck to you,

Kelly
corocopter is offline Find More Posts by corocopter
Last edited by corocopter; Dec 06, 2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:29 AM
Joined Oct 2003
27 Posts
Quote:
Ivan,

Your written comments are correct and that is how the controls work, your visual observation of the video is incorrect. His controls work exactly as the my sketch suggest. The last half of the video shows all four lower vanes working in the yaw command. When Sam moves the pitch and roll sticks they move upper and lower vanes as I have previously mentioned. Don't forget that there are 3 gyro on-board responding to his motion of the sphere, this will also make for an interesting visual problem.

The craft will not fly if you want the pitch control vanes to respond to roll control inputs and vis versa. It will not work, you are getting mixed up by the what you think you see and what is really going on. Back to the Crazy Ball, it work exactly like the controls in the video I posted for that craft.

I can tell you maybe frustrated, your on the right track, but you have created a conflict within your visual observation that I cannot correct. Just go look at the Crazy Ball setup and copy what you see there. You understand my drawing now, your explanation is understood on my part, but I cannot correct for this error. Your asking for something that will not work, and was not built by Sam. Also go look at the the original video posted by the news agencies of the Japaneses sphere moving the controls. It works the same considering the use of 6 servos instead of 8.

Best of luck to you,

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

I watch the post 169 Sam video again and again. Very sure I see all 4 bottom vanes are respond to pitch command when roll and yaw are at neutral position.

Hope Sam can come back to comment on this matter.

thanks for all the help.

Cheers.

Ivan
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:32 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Jun 2009
1 Posts
Rotating Wing - Vector Controlled Experimental Aircraft

This is only partially related to the japanese drone but it is an interesting approach to a flying ball. I don't think this has been discussed in this thread:

RC - Rotating Wing - Vector Controlled Experimental Aircraft (3 min 0 sec)

Check out the position of the battery (1050mAh). Where are the servos?

http://translate.google.es/translate...u_rotators.htm
ppvi is offline Find More Posts by ppvi
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:57 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,779 Posts
The servos are behind the motor, and they only control it's pitch and yaw. There's no way to control roll, and it only relies on gravity and the G load vector to have an "up" to refer to.
Brandano is online now Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:57 PM
AZ
Joined Nov 2006
146 Posts
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
OK, so here's a basic drawing of what I have in mind. All sizes are arbitrary, with the exception of the 8040 prop I hope to use on a bluwonder 3s setup I hope to use. Blue dash lines are control surfaces. Center "fuselage" is 5mm depron. 3mm FG rod ball-cage.
Not sure where, how big, and what shape to make the control surfaces exactly. Also, CoG as low as possible? The strength of this will be its hover, so forward flight doesn't need to be that great if it will make it squirley.
Ideas?

I sort of like it to use as a way to push a blimp around. A blimp shaped like a swordfish with a couple of these babies attached to its sides
sphericalone is offline Find More Posts by sphericalone
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:02 PM
AZ
Joined Nov 2006
146 Posts
glad it finally works

I am glad someone took this idea and made it work
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
here is an earlier video of it flying outdoors with some acrobatics and other demonstrations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQa4K...eature=related
i still believe the perimeter flaps to be active somehow, they seem to react to control input rather than actual airflow, at a very low speed, some are up and some are at a 45 to the motor shaft. perhaps its supposed to act like the bell mouth on a ducted fan, but being able to cancel out lift in the area of desired direction.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:11 PM
AZ
Joined Nov 2006
146 Posts
I like it!

Imagine if the foam frame used was actually an inflateable airframe. Now fill it with helium. Thats my idea anyway. to take two or three of these inflateable versions and attatch to some sort of other cool shaped inflateable fuselage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
here is an earlier video of it flying outdoors with some acrobatics and other demonstrations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQa4K...eature=related
i still believe the perimeter flaps to be active somehow, they seem to react to control input rather than actual airflow, at a very low speed, some are up and some are at a 45 to the motor shaft. perhaps its supposed to act like the bell mouth on a ducted fan, but being able to cancel out lift in the area of desired direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
Ok so its a couple of hours later

If it lifts off the deck I shall bother adding more hoops, otherwise I will just cry into a beer.
Old Dec 06, 2011, 03:34 PM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,956 Posts
Balloon animals...
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:21 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
best part is; you can roll over after a crash and fly again
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Dec 15, 2011, 02:00 AM
I like things :3
Tromsų
Joined May 2007
190 Posts
all i can think of is this wen i look at that drone O_o

Dr Ball | Robot Chicken: Star Wars Special | Adult Swim (1 min 0 sec)

still its awesome tho X3
bongmaster is offline Find More Posts by bongmaster
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:57 PM
AZ
Joined Nov 2006
146 Posts
finally someone's picked up on my idea

Quote:
Good morning Sam,

I have to agree with you Sam, this Japanese ball is one of the most ingenious devices I've ever seen in the RC world. Not only the fact that it fly so well it's also designed to roll around on the ground and evade its own capture or demise.

I think it's too difficult to try to copy all of the features of this craft so I've tried to eliminate as many components as possible for you to try out.

Sam I see no indication of any spoilers on the lower half of the sphere, I have attached the two best photographs I've seen so far of the device and the only thing I can see on the lower half of the sphere are the pitch and roll vanes, and the skirts. After watching the movies of the craft in flight I see no indication that the skirts are free floating, but I may be wrong. Perhaps they tilt a little bit to make fine adjustments of the angle of attack, but I see no evidence of this, maybe some other forum readers here or you can see some evidence of movable skirts? At this time I would disregard any ideas about movable skirts or spoilers on the lower half of the craft.

I can tell you there are no spoilers on the lower half of the craft with certainty. The spoilers will only work in conjunction with a propeller, the propeller creates the inflow they are that activates the spoilers into the horizontal position, and without a propeller they would have no function.

Okay Sam, I have figured out how to simplify your version of the sphere, few parts, less weight, I'll give you a few details in the next posting.

Kelly
so glad someone finall picked up the "ball" and ran with it. check my page youll see that Ive been working on this for some time
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:00 AM
Dzl
Joined Apr 2006
4 Posts
A similar project

More images, videos and info on this blog:
http://dzlsevilgeniuslair.blogspot.com/
Dzl is offline Find More Posts by Dzl