HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:56 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,962 Posts
Kelly:
over 10000 readers visited this thread,your postings already benefited some of the guys who interested in the world of VTOL.
coanda effect leads to another level of aerodynamics that came up with
UFO,this interesting topic is also very educational.
your questions:
1.GWS 9"X6" slow prop.
2.450 grade brushless motor with 1200kv,my motor have no brand name
because it's local made.
3.total flying weight 475 grams.
4.1300mah 11.1v battery.
best ragards
Sam
GN-IFO-ani-vc
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:36 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Parts:

Sam,

Thank you for the parts data.

Would this setup be an Okay starting point? I'm not very excited about piezo gyros, but "what a cheap deal".

http://www.xheli.com/dy450brmoes9.html

Are you using digital servos and if the answer is yes, what make and model.

Thanks

Kelly
corocopter is offline Find More Posts by corocopter
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:51 AM
Registered User
v22chap's Avatar
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,105 Posts
KellyThanks for the kind words ... but my sharp mind is starting to dull out some with age
Glad to see that others are stepping up to the VTOL challenge and are keeping it moving .. back when I started there maybe was a handful of us .. certainly no forum board loaded with guys trying VTOL


Coanda effect ... now you really do have my attention .... another level of aerodynamics I could never quite wrap my head around .



Sam .... keep up the good work and best of luck on your contest
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:56 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v22chap View Post
KellyThanks for the kind words ... but my sharp mind is starting to dull out some with age
Glad to see that others are stepping up to the VTOL challenge and are keeping it moving .. back when I started there maybe was a handful of us .. certainly no forum board loaded with guys trying VTOL


Coanda effect ... now you really do have my attention .... another level of aerodynamics I could never quite wrap my head around .



Sam .... keep up the good work and best of luck on your contest
V-22Chap
Thanks.
your V-22 reminded my V-22
have great fun
Sam

PICT0063PICT0064
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:10 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corocopter View Post
Sam,

Thank you for the parts data.

Would this setup be an Okay starting point? I'm not very excited about piezo gyros, but "what a cheap deal".

http://www.xheli.com/dy450brmoes9.html

Are you using digital servos and if the answer is yes, what make and model.

Thanks

Kelly
Kelly:
piezo gyros are good enough for pitch & roll.
I'm convinced the Japaness ball drone is using digital servos because you can see how quick the response from vanes in videos.
I'm using GWS 6 garm pico servos because I'm just like to use the stuff left in-hands.
good news......
the vanes deployed downward this afternoon,left vanes deployed downward when I rolled to the right........
best regards.
Sam
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:11 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwei1950 View Post
the vanes deployed downward this afternoon,left vanes deployed downward when I rolled to the right........
best regards.:
Sam,

Your spoilers deployed downward. Yaaaa! Congradulations...!

1. Did this affect the handling of the sphere?

2. Did you trim off the ends of the spoilers or add weights?

3. Can you show us an in flight video?

I'm very excited!!!!

Kelly

PS. Chap, In the next couple of days I'll describe what I learned about the Coanda effect and the TP.
corocopter is offline Find More Posts by corocopter
Last edited by corocopter; Sep 24, 2011 at 04:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:34 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corocopter View Post
Sam,

Your spoilers deployed downward. Yaaaa! Congradulations...!

1. Did this affect the handling of the sphere?

2. Did you trim off the ends of the spoilers or add weights?

3. Can you show us an in flight video?

I'm very excited!!!!

Kelly

PS. Chap, In the next couple of days I'll describe what I learned about the Coanda effect and the TP.
Kelly:
1.yap,it affected the handling of the sphere.
2.both ways,thanks to your schetches.
3.still under adjustment,not every vanes deployed downward smoothly,I'm pitching & rolling this poor sphere in my room, hope it still keeps good shape before VTOL contest,I'll put a vid once things go right.
have a nice day
Sam
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:12 AM
Registered User
v22chap's Avatar
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,105 Posts
Quote:
I'll describe what I learned about the Coanda effect and the TP.
That will be great reading too .. Maybe make another thread so as not to destroy the continuity of this one ..

Sam
Love the little V ... did you have much success with the hovering of this airplane prop version ?
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:18 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Spoilers

Hi Sam,

1. Would you tell us if the spoilers make the craft easier to fly (more stable).

2. Do they stop the rolling and pitching motion to any degree.

3. Please look at the attached photo, at the very bottom of the photo, they points to an object and the description has 16 bit abc x2. what are they referring to here? Two 16 bit microprocessors?

Thank you,

Kelly
corocopter is offline Find More Posts by corocopter
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:09 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corocopter View Post
Hi Sam,

1. Would you tell us if the spoilers make the craft easier to fly (more stable).

2. Do they stop the rolling and pitching motion to any degree.

3. Please look at the attached photo, at the very bottom of the photo, they points to an object and the description has 16 bit abc x2. what are they referring to here? Two 16 bit microprocessors?

Thank you,

Kelly
Kelly:
the spoilers are still under adjustment, so I could not answer your No.2 question.
1.yes, I can feel the spoilers make the sphere more stable.
3.Two 16 bit "microcomputer"(in Japaness word),I do not know what are they referring to,it maybe a latest type of mixers I guess,the Japaness powerpoint did not gave any clue & descriptions about it.
I received an e-mail from local VTOL contest key person today that he invited me to demonstrate the "Taiwan ball 1" right after grand opening and I accepted the challenge.
have a nice day
Sam
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:15 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v22chap View Post
That will be great reading too .. Maybe make another thread so as not to destroy the continuity of this one ..

Sam
Love the little V ... did you have much success with the hovering of this airplane prop version ?
V22Chap:
yes, the little V hovers very well.thanks.
best regards.
Sam
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:41 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Congratulation Sam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwei1950 View Post
I received an e-mail from local VTOL contest key person today that he invited me to demonstrate the "Taiwan ball 1" right after grand opening and I accepted the challenge.
have a nice day
Sam
Sam,

WOW!!!!!! That is extremely exciting, your invitation to make a presentation on your Taiwan Ball #1. I just know you where going to a winner! I bet that's going to be BIG crowd. I'd love to be there to enjoy your speech.

I was just going to ask you later today to take some photos of the games with you in action. It's just wonderful that you've been given this opportunity.

Congratulation Sam!

PS

Thank you for the feedback.

I'm very happy that the spoilers are working to make the craft more stable, now if only the wind would die down so you can go outside for finial testing.

Kelly
corocopter is offline Find More Posts by corocopter
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:46 AM
Registered User
v22chap's Avatar
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,105 Posts
Congratulation Sam! and please get us some pictures of the festivities so we all can share in your fun day
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:53 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,962 Posts
Kelly and V-22Chap:
Thanks for the encouragement.
there's no fun if no challenges....
I'll try my best and come back with pics.
all the credits belong to Kelly.
have a nice day
Sam
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:06 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Thanks Sam,

You give me too much credit, if you had not built the Taiwan Ball Number 1 we would have no way to prove or disprove any of my comments.

It's really great to see that you're having such good luck and success working with both the spoilers and the canarderon's.

We’re all anxiously waiting for your next video.

Kelly
corocopter is offline Find More Posts by corocopter
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-HowTo RC Controlled AR.Drone w/o WiFi! nosaari Multirotor Talk 116 Mar 14, 2014 02:23 PM
Discussion New AR Drone (i-drone) light mod bungle68 Multirotor Talk 3 Apr 13, 2011 05:30 PM
Discussion AR Parrot Drone For Sale Matt Gunn Atlanta Area RC 4 Mar 16, 2011 07:41 AM
Found Parrot AR. DRONE iceman77 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Mar 15, 2011 01:51 PM
Discussion Piloting Drone From iDevice BUT takeoff/landing from a computer chope1 Multirotor Talk 0 Mar 07, 2011 10:12 AM