SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 11, 2011, 03:10 PM
Joined Feb 2007
8 Posts
Discussion
Problems programming the KKmulitcopter blackboard V5.5

Dear Community

I have problems flashing my KKmulitcopter Blackboard V5.5.

I use a USBasp Programmer in combination with eXtreme Burnver - AVR. The installation of the USB Driver (fischl.de) for the Programmer and the Flashing Software eXtreme Burner was no Problem on a WinXP Laptop.
I started according the Tutorial on the kkmulitcopter website "Programming the IC with eXtreme Burner". According to this Tutorial, one should read the Fuse Bits from the IC. This worked fine for me. After this I wrote the Fuse bits according Fuse Calc (AtMega 168PA) to the Chip. From this moment on the KKBoard stopped replying to the Software. I tried to erase the Chip via the Software Interface but there was always the same Error: "Power On Failed" and "Cannot Communicate with Target Chip!".
When the the eXtreme Burner Software tries to read or write something to the KKBoard the LED's on the USBasp and the KKBoard are blinking synchronously.

Can somebody please help me!

Thanks
guerradr is offline Find More Posts by guerradr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2011, 05:41 PM
Suspended Account
UK, Buckinghamshire, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
n3m1s1s is offline Find More Posts by n3m1s1s
Last edited by n3m1s1s; Sep 14, 2011 at 05:16 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 12, 2011, 05:17 AM
Joined Feb 2007
8 Posts
yes, I got the board from ebay (devpacific).

Is there any way to hard reset the IC on the board? Or is this only possible via the prog. USBasp?

The strange thing is that it initially worked and then after writing the Fuse bits to the IC it stopped working. But the LED's still blink when the Software tries to communicate with the KKBoard.

Do you think I should return the board? I still have 6 days to return the product.

Thanks
Old Jun 12, 2011, 05:27 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
I would suggest owning a proper programmer for atmel chips if you plan to have hardware with them.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Old Jun 12, 2011, 06:19 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerradr View Post
yes, I got the board from ebay (devpacific).

Is there any way to hard reset the IC on the board? Or is this only possible via the prog. USBasp?

The strange thing is that it initially worked and then after writing the Fuse bits to the IC it stopped working. But the LED's still blink when the Software tries to communicate with the KKBoard.

Do you think I should return the board? I still have 6 days to return the product.

Thanks
If it initially worked, and after programming it doesn't, chances are you have accidently either:
  1. Set it to use an external oscillator/crystal
    Fix: remove LED or R7 and temporarily solder external 8/16/20 Mhz xtal onto Xtal pins 7 & 8
  2. disabled Serial Programming
    Fix: not really

Buying a proper programmer saves mucho hassle ...

Mike
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:04 AM
Joined Feb 2007
8 Posts
Hi Mike

Thanks for your advice.
I will try your Fix No. 1. But what do you mean with no fix for No.2? Is there really no solution if I accidentally disabled Serial Programming?

What if I just exchange the Atmel Chip with a new one? Would that fix issue No.2?

Greets
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:05 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Sure it will.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:42 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,034 Posts
hi guerradr

try the crystal mod, if that doesn't work, then you'll have to change the chip....
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:02 PM
Joined Feb 2007
8 Posts
Dear Mike

Thanks for your advice.
I found a good article to recover from a "locked out" AVR. (http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?n...topic&t=106325). I purchased myself a Atmel AVRISP mkII and I will try to get my board up and running again. I will post my results here.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:59 PM
Planet Jupiter
Joined Jan 2005
1,746 Posts
I am having the same problem with my KK blackboard. I bought mine off eBay (discovered the ad here on RCG from Terriwang) Mine came with the USBASP 4.0 dongle. I installed all the software as Terriwang has included in his Zip file. I am using a program he included called "progisp"

I keep getting a message after I try to flash the board "CHIP ENABLE PROGRAM ERROR"

Also, what do you guys mean "propper programmer"? Is the USBasp dongle not good?

P.S. I have never tried using my board on my quadcopter yet. I have only tried flashing it. It has never been hooked up to an RC receiver nor ESC power.
bamm is offline Find More Posts by bamm
Last edited by bamm; Jun 15, 2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 04:01 PM
Joined Feb 2007
8 Posts
Hi bamm

I'm sorry to hear that I'm not the only one having this problem. I also have such an USBASP Programmer like you. This is also where the problems started.

With the term "propper programmer" they mean an original programmer from Atmel like:

STK600
AVRISP mkII

With this programmers you're also able to give the chip a reference clock, in case you disabled the internal one per fuses.

Well I will try to programm my board with an AVRISP mkII. It arrived this week, I will be able to check it out this weekend. I will keep you posted.

Greets
Old Jun 27, 2011, 07:20 AM
Joined Feb 2007
8 Posts
Dear Community

I solved my problem. I bought myself an original AVRISP mkII programmer from the atmel shop. I hooked up everything as described in the Tutorial "Programming the IC with AVR Studio 4". I set all the fuses accordigly and I did not see any wrong settings there.
The problem was generated from my USBASPV 4.0 (USBasp) which was unable to program the chip correctly.

Thanks for the support.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:25 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Yep. Anyone who has trouble with cheapass USB-ASP knockoffs should just buy the real thing. In addition to perfectly working programmer, you will also be able to program at much faster speed, and it won't randomly break or refuse to work.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:15 AM
Have a nice day! Kristjan
Slovenia, Novo mesto, Šentjernej
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
I had same problem. Just changed ATMEGA168PA with new one and it started working. It takes less than 5min to replace it with new one.
kristjane is offline Find More Posts by kristjane
Old May 29, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
I had the same problem with a cheap usbasp bought on ebay, gave me the error "power on failed", the problem was that it was bad soldier the clock output pin (SCK). Now it works perfectly.
morlok is offline Find More Posts by morlok