HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:56 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,706 Posts
Data
F3K Master - a talking Discus Launch Glider competition timer and contest director.

F3K Master has been refined from experience gained creating and using "F3 RC Self Timer" in actual F3K contests over the last year, both as a timer and a pilot.

Some time ago, while practicing flying my DLG, I got to wondering how I would make a device that detects when you launch the glider and then start a flight timer for you.

I thought about a device in the glider with G-Sensors, proximity sensors, bluetooth and all sorts of complicated electronics.

Then it dawned on me: Android phones have built in g-sensors. What if an Android device could sense the motion of the PILOT, recognize the launch and start the timer for you?

This application is the result of that question.

F3K Master

F3K Master uses g-force sensors in the Android device, allowing the software to detect your launch and start the timer for you. Shake the phone to stop the timer when you land.
You may set the sensitivity or disable motion sensing completely in settings too.

F3K Tasks
Select from the available official F3K tasks, special practice tasks, or configure your own. The timer displays and calls out your flight, window and target times as they change throughout the task. Target time is adjusted where necessary as you progress through the task.

F3K Scoring
Your flights are scored in real time throughout the task according to the task rules.

Touch Screen
In bright sunlight, it can be hard to see the screen to determine where to click, so on the timer tab the whole screen is one large button. Press anywhere on the screen to move the timer through the modes.

Flight Log
A history of your flights are kept for you to look at later.

F3K Master is a Contest Timer
Use the timer with a PA system at the field. Simple as that!

Network Features:

1) "Enable Network" in F3K Master settings.
2) Connect all devices to the same local WiFi network.
3) Start a contest on one timer, and the others will sync up to it.

NOTE:
Only the device that started the contest (the "contest director") can pause/stop the contest.
** It can take ten seconds or more for the timers to discover each other at first, so start and then stop a contest. Wait for the other timers to connect and then start the contest again.

NEW! Flight matrix:
Create a file called "Matrix.csv" in the root of the SD card or use the text box in Settings: Pilots names must be on separate lines, optionally with groups separated by commas.

Example 1:
Pilot One
Pilot Two

Example 2:
Pilot One, A, B, C
Pilot Two, B, A, C

Example 3:
Name, 1, 2, 3
Pilot One, A, B, C
Pilot Two, B, A, C

Example 4 (F3KScore 8.8):
,Name,1 AULD,2 Last 2,3 Ladder
1,Pilot One,A,B,C
2,Pilot Two,B,A,C

Example 4a (F3KScore 8.8 with csv header bug):
,Name,1
AULD,2
Last 2,3
Ladder
1,Pilot One,A,B,C
2,Pilot Two,B,A,C

Example 5:
Name, 1, 2, 3
Pilot One, a, b, c
Pilot Two, b, a, c

When a pilot matrix is in use, you can now choose in Settings which pilot you are timing for and the timer / pilot names are recorded against each flight.

Attaching the Android device
Use a "Sports Armband" or Velcro to attach the android device to your non-throwing wrist. It may also be attached to your transmitter with Velcro.

[Android Market Links]

F3K Master (Free Version)

F3K Master Full (Paid) Version

The free version has all the same functions with two exceptions - you may only have a single task in the task list unless you are connected to a networked contest and you cannot set multiple flight groups.

F3K Master Server
Both free and paid versions of the Android app include fully functional server components (Select Menu > Wireless > Server Running to start a server and share contest settings). The server and "contest director" do not need to be the same device.
extremewing is online now Find More Posts by extremewing
Last edited by extremewing; May 27, 2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Updates
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:03 AM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
815 Posts
I saw this bird raised since a hatchling... one SWEEEEEET app! Use it wisely!
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:08 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,039 Posts
For FREE. That is awesome. This app is killer! Gonna have to get a Droid now!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:11 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,157 Posts
That is awesome! Im sure a lot of us are drooling over it already. Any chance we'll see an iPhone version for us in the darkside?
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:31 AM
Milton Keynes, UK
Joined Oct 2005
1,179 Posts
Great idea!! I will try this at the field today
Richard S is online now Find More Posts by Richard S
Old Jun 11, 2011, 05:24 AM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
What can I say, I have been waiting for such an app for ages!

Installed it and tried it out and its amazing - Everything you need is in this app, Bloody good work ExtremeWing!

BTW I love the "Nice flying"
flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite
Last edited by flylite; Jun 11, 2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 07:04 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Thomas - I asked the same question because I have an iPhone as well. It looks like Apple strikes again. It can be programmed, but it appears that it is prohibitively costly to do it. The answer I got from extremewing is "Don't look for it anytime soon."

And flylit - Yeah, and it speaks other languages like British. I believe extremewing told me you can choose your own accent. I don't think it speaks Utahan though. You got "Nice flying???" I got "Launch higher - fly better."
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Last edited by Hanger Rash; Jun 11, 2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:15 AM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,706 Posts
Thanks for the comments!

If you had installed a test version, please uninstall it before getting the market version (or you will get an error installing it)

i will look into the iPhone side in the future. The only way I would be able to do it is for a jailbroken phone. How many have their iPhone jailbroken?
extremewing is online now Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:32 AM
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Jan 2003
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanger Rash View Post
Thomas - I asked the same question because I have an iPhone as well. It looks like Apple strikes again. It can be programmed, but it appears that it is prohibitively costly to do it. The answer I got from extremewing is "Don't look for it anytime soon."

And flylit - Yeah, and it speaks other languages like British. I believe extremewing told me you can choose your own accent. I don't think it speaks Utahan though. You got "Nice flying???" I got "Launch higher - fly better."
Talk Utahan as in my mother inlaw. "Don't land in the crick" "we are going to get a starm" "fly over that carn field", and her personal favorite "lets all go to Wal Marks".

Oops! That's Southern Utahan.

Sherwoodski
sherwoodski is offline Find More Posts by sherwoodski
Old Jun 11, 2011, 01:22 PM
United States, VA, Warrenton
Joined Apr 2001
1,148 Posts
That is one SLICK app! Task A - Window time, Extra time remaining, time of current flight.... it's got it all! I will enjoying getting out and playing with it more. Love the voice prompts. Very well done!

Thanks!

~Dan
Ninjak2k is offline Find More Posts by Ninjak2k
Old Jun 11, 2011, 01:58 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,157 Posts
Thank you for the info hanger rash

Extremewing, I had mine jailbroke but I had to reset it a while back... will be jailbreaking it again next week. If there doesn't end up having an iPhone version, I might have to pick up an old android just for it!

Thomas
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:52 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,443 Posts
What would be a cheap Android to get for it? My iPhone is not jailbroken.
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:56 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,157 Posts
Not sure of exact models, but I have seen 2nd hand ones go for $50-$100 on ebay and craigslist.

jailbreaking an iphone will be easier and better though imho, assuming there is an iphone version
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2011, 06:06 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Nov 2006
723 Posts
Why are you not doing an app for the iPhone?
FD Pilot is online now Find More Posts by FD Pilot
Old Jun 11, 2011, 06:17 PM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,238 Posts
Of course I finally switch to the iPhone for other non rc apps and a great rc app comes out for the Droid.

I'm sure if this one is successful someone will do the same for the iPhone / ipod touch.
Alan C is offline Find More Posts by Alan C
RCG Plus Member